IGNORED

mobile device controls that don't suck?

toptenmaterial

I love the selection of retro games available on iOS. The problem is, of course, that touch controls suck. Is their another mobile platform, excluding traditional modern handhelds, that has decent controls? Does anyone have experience with playing games on an Android device? What is the availability of retro games from other stores that have download content for phones? In other words, is mobile phone gaming outside of Apple an enjoyable experience?

There are retro arcade controlls for Ipad that basically make it an arcade machine. It's cool, I assume there are similar devices for other devices too. I've seen the game pads for Androids, but always wondered how you used it, those tiny screens are a pain without holding the screen itself (like a handheld game:P )

Personally, I'd stick with a traditiional game machine. 3DS is cool, and works with all th eDS games too.

My phone has hdmi out so I can play all the emulators on a tv. Even with 2 players. Even emulates psx ok.

Some android games and emulators can use a wii/360 or ps3 controller. I use a wiimote for most emulators.

So Android phones don't lock out third party paripherals I'm guessing? That would be nice.

I'm just surprised that nobody seems to have come up with a controller add-on for these things. Most mobile devices have a mini-USB port, right? So how hard can it be? Take Windows Phone 7, for example. Games are written with the XNA Framework which, unlike the .NET Framework, is standard throughout all devices it supports. There is no cut-down version, so all control devices are supported. So how hard can it be to come up with an Xbox360 compatible mini controller that attaches to the USB port?

Well, Apple doesn't want a controll device for their phones/pad/pods. The whole thing they got going is the touch screen, and it would scare them to even try to find out if people would indeed prefer a traditional control setup.

Besides, then you have to make a game that supports the controller....

Besides, then you have to make a game that supports the controller....

I know that your post was tongue-in-cheek, but seriously, there are TONS of classic ports on the app store that would be steller with a d-pad and are nearly unplayable without it.

The GTA adaptations (III and Chinatown Wars) actually aren't too bad, with some specific function keys that help out a lot. And the virtual controls work well for driving. But Sonic or Double Dragon? No way.

• Like 1

To me, that's the paradox of gaming on iOS. There is more or less a bottomless pit of games available to you, either for free or for a nominal fee, many of which look wonderful. But it all comes to a screeching halt as soon as you pick up an iPad or iPhone and try to play. Unless the game is designed from the ground up with the touch screen system in mind, it's going to completely suck. I got drawn in by the allure of having portable iOS versions of Frogger, Pac-Man, Q*Bert, Mappy, and a few others. They look and sound spot-on, but when you pick up the device to actually play these games, it's like trying to do masonry with a spatula or carve a jack-o-lantern with an axe. Bottom line, it sucks.

• Like 1