IGNORED

emulation on PSP, Xperia, android phones, and other questions

toptenmaterial

I am interested in investing in a new device for emulation and classic gaming. I currently have an iPhone 3GS. It is a wonderful machine for browsing the web and using multimedia stuff. However, the touch controls are abysmal, and I cannot seem to acclimate to them, no matter how much I try. This is a shame, as iTunes has some really nice classic games available for download. I am hesitant to purchase a third-party joypad given Apple's pattern of blocking them through firmware updates. Which brings me to my next question: what is the best mobile device that uses an actual gamepad?

PSP: I had a hacked PSP-1000 a while back, and loved it. The layout of the buttons was just perfect for NES games, PS1 titles emulated flawlessly and most SNES stuff ran. Do the later revisions (Go, 3000) have a little more horsepower for emulation?

Xperia Play: I am very interested in this machine. Can it emulate other systems as well, or better, than it's cousin, the PSP? Also, if I buy it without a contract (no phone service), can I still jailbrake it and get it to function as a gaming machine? Also, for the price (a little under $300), is it worth it?

Galaxy Tablet: Will I get locked out of a third party controller with a sneaky update? And does it have the chops to handle smooth emulation?

Android phones (misc): Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Well Apple seems to - not necessarily embrace but tolerate - the iControl Pad. Bluetooth connections and it works with games in the App Store already(not to mention the .EMU emulators if your phone is cracked).

I still use the PSP1000 as well. I admit I haven't kept up with the scene over the last year since everything already works the way I want it to. I can't say for sure if the PSP 2000 or 3000 make a difference.

I am still trying to save some cash for the Pandora console. I used to have a GP2X F100 and it worked incredibly well. I was going to invest in a Caanoo when they announced the Pandora and I'm still considering it. :)

Edited by ClassicGMR

I have tried tablets and smartphones, both Android and iOS, and not been impressed. They have the computing horsepower to run accurate emulators, but the touch screen surfaces simply don't do a good job. That said, I haven't had a chance to try one of those "stick-on D-pads" (whatever you call them).

I bought a used PSP-1001 for $60 about a month ago, and I am extremely impressed. The display is decent, the physical controls are nice enough, and there is a wide variety of classic systems emulators available. I currently have my PS set up with emus for the Lynx, 2600, 5200, 7800, Colecovision, Intellivision, and Vectrex. The Inty emu seems to handle only about 60% of ROMs, but those it can run it does a good job with. All of the others are excellent, though I find squeezing the Vectrex display down to that little 4" screen really costs a lot in clarity.

I've read that the 3000 and Go can be harder to configure for custom firmware, so check out some PSP hack type sites...

I agree that a CFW PSP is a great portable emulation system. I've tried the GP2X handhelds, and while they work fine, I haven't found enough reason to use them over a PSP. Plus, with a PSP there are dozens of great commercial games worth playing, so you get the best of both worlds.