IGNORED

5200 Brotherhood

atari5200dude82

Can I be in the 5200 Brotherhood even though I don't yet own one? I aspire to...I just haven't stumbled across one yet.

Only if you promise to actually buy a 5200, Track Ball, and AtariMax SD cart within the next 6 months. ;)

• Like 4

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that powers up his 5200 with me
Shall be my brother; be his joystick ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle its condition:
And gentlemen in 8-Bit Land now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their CX-40s cheap whiles any speaks
That gamed with us upon the Atari 5200.
Oh my God, Mr. Shakespeare, I am so totally sorry. :-o

Aye!

I can understand liking the 5200 overall, but anyone who justifies the stock joystick for it is a deluded fool. It had a pause button, yes, but the fire buttons were mushy, the keypad buttons had poorly made aluminum contacts that easily broke if pushed too hard, and a joystick that didn't recenter itself, making Pacman, missile command, and games that weren't like Pole position or Robotron 2084 a nightmare. :-o :-o :-o :-o

As a kid, somehow I was always able to fix the controllers. They were a problem, but I felt they were better than Intellivision. I was able to maneuver. As an adult, I use a 5200 to PC cord with a Mako Pro. I have a Wico in the box, but I don't use it much. I have one stock controller that was very well rebuild with extra carbon dots, and gold rev 9. I use that as left for Space Dungeon.

I have 3 5200's a four, a two, and a four that was modded at the factory for the 2600 adapter. As said, I have the Atarimax. This is the (vintage) system I use most. Having one as a kid is why I am attached to the system. One of the best joint gifts my Sister, and I ever got. We never knew it was a modded A8.

I am very happy that the third parties made good controllers. I never had one as a kid, I made due (I thought I invented putting foil dots on the carbon to find out many kids figured the same thing).

If Atari got the controllers right the first time (and this system lasted longer), it could have been a big hit. People would forgive the fact that it is big, and wired differently.

Edited by Seethransom

Only if you promise to actually buy a 5200, Track Ball, and AtariMax SD cart within the next 6 months. ;)

Will do! If I can find one in reasonable condition. Where do you get the AtariMax SD cart?

I'm going with a 4-port, I've already decided. Hoping to have it AV/Power modded.

Edited by travistouchdown

I looked at 5200 on eBay for you. The're going little expensive right now. This is yard sale season and flea markets too. Considering the controllers that you'll get in a lot will be bad, I personally wouldn't pay more than $40 for a set up. Then maybe two dollars per game three if they have overlays and instructions. The controllers can be rebuilt pretty easily with the revision 9 flex cable. Those are on eBay and are not too expensive. The Waco sticks right now are insanely expensive, I wait till maybe the fall. They should cost no more than maybe 50+10 for shipping. If these prices seem a little bit high, please remember, I live in Connecticut. Sometimes I have to pay extra to find something. Finding things here, even at yard sale is getting tough.

Good luck I hope you find one soon if I see something on eBay I'll let you know.

guess I should join in... I'm the ONLY person I know of in the universe who thinks the 5200 is Atari's best console and one of the greatest consoles ever!

I have to tell you, I think the Atari 5200 is one of the best gaming consoles of all time. If I had to make a top 10 consoles list, I'd put it #3

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have to tell you, I think the Atari 5200 is one of the best gaming consoles of all time. If I had to make a top 10 consoles list, I'd put it #3

the 5200 is definitely one of the best classic consoles.... i personally think that if the controller problem was taken care of early on, it would have done much better.... but we all know that '83 was a bad year for everyone involved....

as far as a 5200 brotherhood, you can count me in as well..... i think the 5200 is a pretty underrated system.....

• Like 1

I agree with all of that. I am still combing eBay for good systems to recommend. There are 2 master plays. There is a wico with a keypad in the box. There are no lots I consider worth buying. Right now the trend is about $80 a system. Last winter I am guessing it was about $50. If I find anything rare, I be sure to share here, or another thread if you wish.

• 1 year later...

Swear me in, brothers. I have been intoxicated by this system since first being exposed to it at the neighbor's house in late '82. My retinas were tattooed to that near arcade perfection. The sticks were foreign and weird and wonderful. Always coveted the console but never got one back then.

Finally got delivery as a birthday gift from the wife in 1998. Worth the wait as many friends were feeling the beginning pull of retro mania just picking up steam then. Have several more consoles now, most of the library, dozens of controllers and 3 Trak-balls.

I love this system.

• Like 3

Count me in- got my first taste of 5200 while working McD in 89, someone set it up in the breakeoom. Got my own system here a few years back for $30 plus $16 shipped, came with a dozen plus games, one perfect controller, one almost perfect. Got my second system at goodwill for $3 with no hookups, but it works. Got the SD cart here, the family hasn't seen me since...

• Like 2

Count me in as well. I bought my 5200 in 2012. A 2 port model in fantastic condition and works flawlessly. Last year I bought the Atarimax 128 in 1 SD multicart. This past April I bought the trak ball controller and it is awesome and plays perfect! Not to mention a couple Best gold plated joysticks. And 24 other games for it before the multicart was purchased. I have the custom endlabels as well. Love the system. And my top 10 5200 titles are.

1. Tempest

2. Robotron 2084

3. Missle Command

4. Kangaroo

5. Pengo

6. Centipede

7. Joust

8. Berzerk

9. Popeye

10. Qix

Honorable Mentions:

Realsports Baseball

Frogger Threedeep

Frogger

Pitfall 2 Lost Caverns

The Dreadnaught Factor

Pitfall

Space Dungeon

Montezuma's Revenge

Zaxxon

Moon Patrol

post-32978-0-71608600-1438556354_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Count me in as well. I bought my 5200 in 2012. A 2 port model in fantastic condition and works flawlessly. Last year I bought the Atarimax 128 in 1 SD multicart. This past April I bought the trak ball controller and it is awesome and plays perfect! Not to mention a couple Best gold plated joysticks. And 24 other games for it before the multicart was purchased. I have the custom endlabels as well. Love the system. And my top 10 5200 titles are.

1. Tempest

2. Robotron 2084

3. Missle Command

4. Kangaroo

5. Pengo

6. Centipede

7. Joust

8. Berzerk

9. Popeye

10. Qix

Honorable Mentions:

Realsports Baseball

Frogger Threedeep

Frogger

Pitfall 2 Lost Caverns

The Dreadnaught Factor

Pitfall

Space Dungeon

Montezuma's Revenge

Zaxxon

Moon Patrol

attachicon.gif20150802_174656.jpg

Very nice pics as well. Welcome to the 5200 Brotherhood :thumbsup:

• Like 1

The 5200 does have the potential to mimic games of the mid 80s' - as much as the C-64.

By early? next year this should be apparent.

The hardware of the Atari 400/800/5200 can be stretched. Just like with 2600 development - now, 30 something years later new stuff can be written which explores these limits.

Harvey

• 4 weeks later...