IGNORED

Pad 1.5 beta

NRV

It's fine as it is but if it's not much more work you could try adding an option for less and maybe add a 75% too !

I'm guessing this runs on XL/XE only?

Adding a 75% and a 25% options is a little more work, but I will try. With the 25% option there are some positions that you are not going to be able to reach and the jitter could be more visible, but maybe is still not a big issue..

About the XL/XE you mean the paddles? or the memory?. At this point I'm using below 48K, but I'm disabling the OS, to use a custom NMI handler, so I suppose that discards 400/800 models.

just checking if it ran on the 800 but I guessed not (as it looked so good)... forget the other adjustments it's fine as it is - sorry ;)

Had a load more goes (about 60k on arcade): the difficult gold levels spoil the game for me - think they should eventually break :twisted: [taking the 'right' door every time seems to avoid these screens!]

post-19705-0-75882900-1327624822.jpg

• 1 year later...

Great Game and good that Arkanoid is being looked at in the other thread.

Can help thinking that the classic Ben Daglish song form Krakout would be great in this one! - and its been worked into Atari tracker 'rmt' format as well so it can be added in if permission were given (or nobody had a gripe.)

krakout.mp3

• 1 month later...

Well, time to let the baby go..

pad open.zip

post-11240-0-26091700-1388639830_thumb.png

The source is now included, so it does a little more sense that this is in the programming forum x) (Mads assembler, as always).
Also.. doing changes, using other songs, adding levels, using this as the base for another game.. is all fair game (I only hope if someone do some improvements, that he share his changes, to add them to the "official" version sometime :) )
The NTSC and PAL executables are in the xex folder by the way.

Disclaimer: the source is commented in most parts, but keep in mind that the first version of this was like 20 years ago, so the style of the programmer changed a lot through the years :).
There is more info about the game in the first post and through the thread, for those that are new to it.

Changelog resume:

(version 1.82)
--> New game mode (the "old" one with 3 difficulties is still there):
- added new game mode "extra" (changed option name to "Game mode"), with a different level sequence (instead of a "tree" is more like Arkanoid 2, where you have a left and right version for every level, except the first one, so now there are 14 levels to end the game)
- changed balance and difficulty of some levels, removed one level and added a new one in the "extra" game mode
- changed some brick colors in some levels

--> Miker song! (many thanks.. inclusive if you don't like it that much :) ):
- integrated RMT code and added "4x" song from Miker (the first one for him I believe)
- new vcount system to play RMT music with "4x" updates (it plays the song at the same speed in PAL and NTSC, without the need to drop music steps)
- added a fade out to the song after starting a game

- added paddle controller angles 25% and 75%
- better handling of a problem when selecting paddles with a mouse connected (but still exists in some degree)
- added colors and changed some things in the tittle screen
- fixed lives display bug when ending the game with more than 3 balls
- changed some sounds from 15Khz to 64Khz (to be able to add some new ones)

(version 1.83)
--> Better control, more friendly:
- added 2 more angles to the pad, for a smoother control of the ball direction
- changed default mouse max step to 2 (for a better control speed)
- changed default starting speed of the ball in casual and extra modes (slower)

--> Enemies!:
- added enemy code for logic states, creation, destruction, movement and animation
- put enemy code and data behind define blocks (USE_ENEMY_CODE)
- added different behaviors for the 3 types of enemies (zones of movement, collision reaction against balls, avoid/follow player, hover time, probabilities)
- added new sound for enemy destruction
- added rule for the enemies hit, when using the "X" powerup (no deflection)
- added rule so enemies don't appear until the level has started (the ball is in play)
- changed some level colors to aid with enemies visibility

- added "Fast" powerup, to increase the ball speed (mostly a one to avoid, except if you want more score, to speedup the game or to recover the normal pad size)
- added error message when trying NTSC or PAL version in the incorrect system
- changed max ball hard hits to 100 (a feature used to avoid that the ball get in an infinite loop without hitting the pad)
- changed a little pad colors

My only regret with the enemies is that sometimes visibility of them is a little compromised, because they move over the bricks.
To fix this (and to have more than one enemy active) I should change my PM usage for char animations (maybe for the 3 balls, the pad and the falling bonus) and then use the free PM for the enemies.

As before, I have tested this only in Altirra (use a mouse and fullscreen for the better experience!), so any feedback from users in real machines is welcome.

Regards!

(Next I want to put a platformer game engine (plus source) that I did some years ago, but first I want to add a couple of missing features.. and at my current rate of work that probably would be in a pair of months x) )

• Like 9

Cool NRV! Nice job!

I highly appreciate you going through the trouble of creating an NTSC version too. I can see the music and colors have been adjusted. Is there a speed adjustment for the ball(s) and animations as well (a little harder for me to verify, at 11:30pm after work)?

Edited by MrFish

I highly appreciate you going through the trouble of creating an NTSC version too. I can see the music and colors have been adjusted. Is there a speed adjustment for the ball(s) and animations as well (a little harder for me to verify, at 11:30pm after work)?

Yep, in fact the NTSC version is the "lead" version x) .. you could say is the better one just because of the frame rate (60 vs 50 in PAL).

I did adjust every color, the speeds of the ball, enemies, the falling bonus, the pad control, to be almost the same in both versions, so the difficulty of the game is almost equal.

The only details that are a little different are the sounds and the speed of some animations.. there is no much you can do to have the same animation speed when every frame take so little time.

• Like 1

Good to now that it works well and people like it :)

Any way of putting our score on the game screen?

Yep, that bothered me at some point also.. one problem right now is that maybe the game font don't have space for the 6 digits of a normal score (but I could add another font via a DLI if that's the case).

Other problem is one of visibility, maybe it should be located inside the game area, because the screen is to tall and the top border is at the limit of a normal TV.

I think I would try to add this at least as a toggle-able option, so people can decide if they want it or not and maybe cycle it through some positions.

Would you mind describing what needs to change in your source so that the default controller is Paddle 1, 50%?

I did the changes for you in this file:

padV2.asm

(replace the normal pad.asm file)

Basically changing the init of some vars:

lda #4
sta m_selectedControllerIndex
lda #128
sta m_usePaddleControllerFlag

lda #1 ; 50%
sta m_selectedPaddleAngleIndex

And a pointer in one of the lines at "DL2_address", and the content of two lines at "DL2_options_line".

Should be more simple, but I never did the correct thing, that the initial state of the title screen is initialized from the state of those vars, so you need to change both (yep, bad programmer).

Also, you need to un-comment the line:

;PAL_VERSION = 1

..if you want to compile and get the pal version of the executable.

the only thing I miss is support for standard joystick or trackball support. :grin:

I'm not sure if a trackball works with the Atari or Amiga mouse settings, if not it should not be that difficult to add support for it.

Anyway, the use of some keys or a joystick should be very easy to add and is left to the user as an exercise in programming x)

I always resisted that option because it would be very difficult to have a good control of the pad and enjoy the game at the higher levels, probably would need some changes in the gameplay area.. is like moving a mouse pointer with the keyboard, not that fun :)

Regards.

• Like 1

@NRV:

You are using 28charlines tall and Arkanoid uses 29charlines (the last bottom one its the status area).

In your case you have two options:

1.)- Simpler option: Put the status in the bottom as a 29th charline like Arkanoid (and you're in a better situation because you have some blank scanlines at the top of the screen and others at the bottom).

2.)- Move the playing Area 1charline and put the status area above.

In any of the two situations I would suggest you put the text in hi-resolution and maybe scanlines white/grays DLIs similar as is in Arkanoid.

I don't see that this 'centered' 29charlines wouldn't be seen on some TVs. Back then in my house, parents an friends TVs I don't remember that I couldn't saw any part of the top or the bottom of the screen.

I am in PAL Land. Anyone with PAL or NTSC ever got any parts of Arkanoid that cannot be seen?

Edited by José Pereira

About control options:

I am playing it via Atari800WinPlus Emulator with Amiga mouse option and it works very well.

The other day, when I opened that Thread about possible ways to get an Arkanoid I played it for hours in some days and again I played it with the Keyboard option enabled (Z, X and SHIFT for shooting).

I never get how my ZX friends could play their action games via the Keyboard, even today on P.C. I can't play well most of them.

Back then the only I could and I even prefered and still think today that its, maybe best to use the Keyboard are indeed Arkanoid and later Tetris. Maybe that is before now I tried your with the Mouse.

But I would also suggest the Keyboard option.

Because of A8 particularity on the use of keys people could choose the Left and Right keys and have always SHIFT as the shooting keys (that is good because beeing at left and right sides of the Keyboard its good to everyone).

If it has a Joystick Option I will never use it but maybe others like.

And Paddles I also will not but for 'purists' of the original maybe also a good option.

If can and get some time then I think that as much you can improve the better.

Its a Great! Great game that you did!...

Thank you very much.

:)

Edited by José Pereira

I did the changes for you in this file:

attachicon.gifpadV2.asm

(replace the normal pad.asm file)

Basically changing the init of some vars:

lda #4

sta m_selectedControllerIndex

lda #128

sta m_usePaddleControllerFlag

lda #1 ; 50%

sta m_selectedPaddleAngleIndex

And a pointer in one of the lines at "DL2_address", and the content of two lines at "DL2_options_line".

Should be more simple, but I never did the correct thing, that the initial state of the title screen is initialized from the state of those vars, so you need to change both (yep, bad programmer).

Also, you need to un-comment the line:

;PAL_VERSION = 1

..if you want to compile and get the pal version of the executable.

Fantastic! Thanks!

Looking forward to more Pad action tonight!

-SteveS

NRV, I assembled padV2.asm with mads assembler but I can't play a game with the new default settings.

The paddle moves but the ball won't launch with the paddle's fire button. It will launch with a joystick's fire button.

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1

NRV, I assembled padV2.asm with mads assembler but I can't play a game with the new default settings.

The paddle moves but the ball won't launch with the paddle's fire button. It will launch with a joystick's fire button.

-SteveS

Whoops.. I saw the same behavior in Altirra, but assumed that I didn't configured correctly the paddles in the emulator.. I will look at it.

And here it is again, sorry x)

padV2.asm

I forgot to add the init for a couple of self modifying addresses, that included the use of the correct pot and paddle trigger (now it works in Altirra).

Normally the init is done when you change the control from mouse to the first paddle option.

Edited by NRV

Whoops.. I saw the same behavior in Altirra, but assumed that I didn't configured correctly the paddles in the emulator.. I will look at it.

And here it is again, sorry x)

attachicon.gifpadV2.asm

I forgot to add the init for a couple of self modifying addresses, that included the use of the correct pot and paddle trigger (now it works in Altirra).

Normally the init is done when you change the control from mouse to the first paddle option.

It's work great. Thanks, NRV!

-SteveS

I just tried with Atari800WinPlus emulator. I set the controller to Atari. The fire button works, but cannot make the bar move.

ATARI means you use an ATARI ST mouse in joy port 1 (so is ATARI2 for ST Mouse in port 2). Set the Emulator to capture the mouse at the right port and you can use your mouse.