IGNORED

Odd copy of Boing

98PaceCar

My parents bought me a copy of Boing for Christmas, but it's a variant I've never seen before. It has the label completely on the face of the cart, but it is not the Xonox style cart. It came fom Atari2600.com and looks 100% authentic, so I don't think it's fake. Just curious if there is a story with this or if it's just another variant.

That probably would help, huh??!!

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2566.jpg

There's some glue residue on the end like the label have have been re-attached at some point, but even if it were wrapped around the end the actual cart shell seems to be different from the pics I've seen before. It has an indentation almost all the way to the bottom of the cart instead of ending a bit above the bottom of the cart.

That is an interesting one. I have not seen that one.

it is a bit odd. Does the label look like a foil label? From the pictures, it seems to be, but sometimes that doesn't come across too well in pictures. I am interested in what everyone else says... and if it is a legit cart, I am bummed I didn't grab that off of Atari2600.com

Looks like a Boing! label that's been taken of a Xonox cart (no visible traces on the label of a fold, which most probably would have been visible on a label taken of a standard Boing! cart) and re-glued to another cartridge.

Boing! was not released with end label stickers, so why would there be glue traces on the top of the cartridge?

It looks like there are round dents in your label, suggesting screw holes underneath.

So if there are no screw holes underneath, then the label is certainly taken of a Xonox cart (Xonox carts have screw holes underneath).

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Looks like a Boing! label that's been taken of a Xonox cart (no visible traces on the label of a fold, which most probably would have been visible on a label taken of a standard Boing! cart) and re-glued to another cartridge.

Boing! was not released with end label stickers, so why would there be glue traces on the top of the cartridge?

It looks like there are round dents in your label, suggesting screw holes underneath.

So if there are no screw holes underneath, then the label is certainly taken of a Xonox cart (Xonox carts have screw holes underneath).

8)

This is my fear, that it is a nice label on the wrong shell. I'm really frustrated with the deal given that Atari2600.com listed this as an 8/10 cart with no mention of it being anything other than original. I don't think that they did the swap themselves, but it seems like on an R8 cart, they would have scrutinized it a bit more closely.

I've just identified the cart shell this thing is in. Somewhere along the line, it was swapped into a Mythicon cart shell. The closer I look at it, the more proof I find that it's not original. I guess on a good note it does work, but who knows if it's even legit at this point.

Very disappointed...

I wanted to add a note to this thread that I spoke with JC at Atari2600.com today and we worked out a solution that both of us are happy with. He agreed that it's likely a shell swap and apologized for missing it when he took it in. I'm going to keep the cart as it will be a nice "player" copy of a good game and ended up spending some extra cash with him while we were on the phone.

So just in case anybody runs across this thread, I didn't want it to reflect negatively on atari2600.com as he got back to me very quickly and offered a number of great solutions for me to chose from. Truly a class act that I am sure will continue to empty my wallet on a regular basis!

• Like 1

I wanted to add a note to this thread that I spoke with JC at Atari2600.com today and we worked out a solution that both of us are happy with. He agreed that it's likely a shell swap and apologized for missing it when he took it in. I'm going to keep the cart as it will be a nice "player" copy of a good game and ended up spending some extra cash with him while we were on the phone.

So just in case anybody runs across this thread, I didn't want it to reflect negatively on atari2600.com as he got back to me very quickly and offered a number of great solutions for me to chose from. Truly a class act that I am sure will continue to empty my wallet on a regular basis!

The cartridge shell shown above looks like the Boing prototype/lab loaner cartridge shell shown in Atarimania for the standard cartridge version of Boing. The cartridge shown above may be a preproduction or early production version of Boing.

I'm not a collector, but why would someone take the time and hassle to do this?

The way my luck runs, just to mess with me! I'd love for it to turn out to be something special, but I am 99.99% sure it's just a swap. Maybe someone down the line broke the original shell and sacrificed a Mythicon to fix it, not that it was much of a sacrifice...