IGNORED

Knockout Round 4: Mario Bros.

zylon

Roadrunner has selected Mario Bros as our challenge of the week by secret number selection.

Play on default starting level and go for it!

Emulation is fine as is whatever control scheme you wish. Pics required as lowest score is eliminated from further play.

Anyone using their "skip" must post here within 24hrs. Players who've used their skip will have an asterisk * next to their name. So far we've had either good luck with everyone having the game and being a good sport. great to see. :)

Round ends 9pm EST Wednesday night January 4th 2012

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

You need not win, just need to not lose. Let the battle begin!

eligible players:

Cafeman - 288,190

JacobZu7zu7 - 240,090

Roadrunner - 184,060

sdamon - 164,240

zylon - 152,100

Sonic R - 104,260 (eliminated)

Games to be played:

Ms Pacman

Pitfall

Beamrider

Frogger

Defender

River Raid

Centipede

Pacman

Mario Bros

Dig Dug

Pole Position

Space Invaders

Super Cobra

Edited by zylon

hmmmm... I'm pretty much done with these knockout tournaments…

I suck at Mario Bros.. and next week it's more Mario Bros in the 7800 tourney… I'm getting burnt out just thinking about it…

But think of all the practice you'll have gotten in! :P

hmmmm... I'm pretty much done with these knockout tournaments…

I suck at Mario Bros.. and next week it's more Mario Bros in the 7800 tourney… I'm getting burnt out just thinking about it…

But think of all the practice you'll have gotten in! :P

lol.gif

I don't think all the practice in the world would help me in Mario Bros! though I'm new to the 5200 version, I've been playing on the NES and 7800 since the late 80s!! just not my game… it happens…

I'm just sad I won't get to compete in some games that hadn't been played in the regular HSC :(

I have always liked the 5200 version of Mario Bros. My friends and I would play 2-player cut-throat versions all the time back in the day.

What I don't like about the programming: I hate it that certain sound FX cut out at times. The sounds are good and I want to hear them. And once the game turns to the purple hue, it never goes back to the better looking original colors. The coders should have given us more color variations across levels. I can understand why the crabs don't turn different colors when they get fast (like the coin-op) because of the hardware color limitations. Other than these things, I always marveled at the playability and animation of 5200 Mario Bros.

Tips from me: A backwards jump quickly reverses direction and can save you from sliding into an enemy. Learn the power of the Mario jump. Never used all 3 of your POW usages. Save at least one so that you can still stand on the POW block when it gets crowded at bottom-screen. Also be careful at level edges when jumping near enemies - often they'll be too close and bite you.

This one almost got picked for last round. I'll drop a hint for those who want "different games"

The numbers: 6, 11, 12, 13 are for games not played this season in HSC. That's the only hint I'll give. ;)

The only problem with games already played is the results are usually the same. :|

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

So with Mario Bros. still going at HSC too, would the scores we get here be crossed over to there?... Or... do we just submit the next best scores over for our HSC play.. like if I was to get 150ks? Since my score is 115ks at regular HSC, I'd like to improve that, which ever way...

I'll drop a hint for those who want "different games"

The numbers: 6, 11, 12, 13 are for games not played this season in HSC. That's the only hint I'll give. ;)

I count 6 games we haven't played this season (Ms Pacman , Pitfall , Frogger , Centipede , Dig Dug , Super Cobra ) Not sure if you missed two of them, or if you just picked 4 of the 6. Either way, thanks for hinting about these... It will certainly add some suspense when they come up, as some of us haven't already competed on these titles.

So with Mario Bros. still going at HSC too, would the scores we get here be crossed over to there?

I was kind of curious about this myself...

I'll drop a hint for those who want "different games"

I count 6 games we haven't played this season (Ms Pacman , Pitfall , Frogger , Centipede , Dig Dug , Super Cobra ) Not sure if you missed two of them, or if you just picked 4 of the 6. Either way, thanks for hinting about these... It will certainly add some suspense when they come up, as some of us haven't already competed on these titles.

So with Mario Bros. still going at HSC too, would the scores we get here be crossed over to there?

I was kind of curious about this myself...

Scores achieved after this round started can be posted here. Scores from last week= NO. If you enter a new Mario score this week, you can use it for both. Just make sure to post it in both places. :)

I can't give all the numbers. ;) Those other 2 were played in Season 3 and also used in this year's A8 HSC season.

Edited by zylon

not like it helps… but I had a personal achievement in this bloody game and broke 100k…

it was fun competing in the 5200 Knockout Tournament with everyone involved and thanks go to all who played and to Zylon for organizing this…

here's my score…

4636aec2.jpg

I'm just not a fan of this game :(

Tweaked it a little more... 118,250; then got some good plays in late last night: 152,100 :)

That'll do it for me this round. I've got work tonight and a funeral, then work tomorrow. :(

post-25215-0-55143100-1325561477_thumb.jpg

post-25215-0-75075800-1325609886_thumb.jpg

Edited by zylon

I won't be home for the ending of this, but will use post times to determine eligible scores. In the event that I'm the lowest not eliminated, I will defer # choice to next score up. If you know who you are at the end, PM me with your # selection or I'll PM you when I get home.

I have surrendered...

I haven't played this in days, and won't be home til late this evening to even make a futile attempt to play this game…

I had fun and only wish I could've competed in some other titles...

thanks again to zylon and all the players!