IGNORED

anyone ever get rid of their consoles and go "all emo"?

toptenmaterial

I am currently living in a small apartment, and my girlfriend will be moving in soon. In the interests of maximizing space, I am considering putting my numberous systems into storage and getting a nice emulation setup hooked up to my new TV. How anyone here ever done this, and did it work out for you?

Now, what kind of a computer is needed for good emulation? I know next to nothing about hardware, and won't be building a machine. I'll just go to Best Buy when my tax refund comes back and buy a PC. Ideally, I would like to run stuff up to the Dreamcast era smoothly, if that can be done. If not, I'll settle for a machine that runs the classics. Any recommendations on an out-of-the-box machine that does the job? Also, any suggestions for controllers?

Also, has anyone here had experience with a first-gen hacked Xbox?

Thanks!

"go all emo"... :rolling:

If you do that, be sure your real hardware is kept in a controlled and dry environment, else you may find all that stuff rusted and busted someday. Conversely, also a good thing to keep the older gear running once in a while. Caps and such dry out. It's almost as if they need the gift of "life" run through them every once in a while, just to ensure they keep going. :)

Edited by save2600

Hacked xbox is great. A Wii is also pretty good, though I haven't tried the full variety of emulators that I have available on my xbox, what I have tried (VCS through SNES) on the Wii runs great.

As far as controllers, a homemade arcade stick and your favorite playstation-styled controller should cover most bases.

Depends on the person whether this will work. Some folks aren't happy unless they have all the physical products. Some are fine with real hardware and a multicart. Others do fine with 100% emulation.

Personally, I am happiest when I have all the physical products when it comes to the stuff I owned as a kid (right down to the game box inserts). When it comes to the rest, though, emulation is fine as long as there are no controller issues.

• Like 1

As many others have said, if you're in it for the games rather than collecting, you'll be happy with emulation.

I've always been a fan of emulation, but only over the past 5 years or so have I felt emulation has come to the point of being good enough to replace the original systems. You have cycle accurate emulators for most computers and consoles prior to the N64, which is pretty much as good as it gets.

PC based emulators have the highest accuracy, as most need more resources than a console can provide, but I'll personally attest to the quality of the emulators available on the Wii. If you want an easy way to play games on a TV and your computer doesn't have TV-out, then get yourself a Wii and softmod it. You won't be disappointed.

If you go the PC route, get the fastest processor you can afford. Definitely a Core i7. That will give you solid performance up through Dreamcast emulation. Anything slower and you won't be running at a constant 60fps. Just keep in mind that both Dreamcast and PS2 emulation is still far from perfect. If those systems are important to you, you'll be best to keep them hanging around. PSX has its emulation issues too, but overall it's fairly reliable.

I did this with almost my entire collection a long time ago. I went from having my own gaming apartment above the one we lived in to a 2 bedroom apartment with my girlfriend and her 2 daughters. Space is a premium here.

Personally, nothing beats having the cartridge and controller in your hands. Having said that I am system free from Playstation 1 down to Atari 2600. All I have in the house are an XBox 360(bedroom/Netflix), Playstation 3(BluRay player/Netflix) and a Playstation 2(for PS1/PS2 games).

Right now I use a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 with 1 GB RAM for my primary emulation station. All it has on it is emulation stuff. I have various adapters to make the systems feel more like the hardware. I have the following:

* powered 7-port USB adapter

* 2600dapter which works perfectly with Stella

* Retrozone USB kit for Intellivision which bah was kind enough to build

* I have used a SmartJoy adapter for use with my PS1/PS2 controllers for a long time now.

- - I used the adapter with my Street Fighter Anniversary Stick for MAME specifically (I now have a TankStick in my possession).

- - This is also great for using PS1/PS2 controllers for any gaming on your PC. Why use the cheap knockoffs they sell now when you can use the real thing?

* A SmartJoy SNES adapter for Gameboy, NES and SNES gaming

* A Genesis RetroUSB port for my Game Gear, SMS and Genesis needs

* A wired XBOX 360 controller works great on the M$ operating systems

I also have as a secondary emulation station my recently acquired NESputer from Lastcallhall! The specs there are:

Intel Atom 1.3 GHz N330 dual-core ITX motherboard.

2GB DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM running in single channel mode (only 1 DIMM slot onboard).

80GB 2.5" SATA HDD running Windows XP (stripped down using nLite).

GameEx Front End.

Slimline DVD drive.

Controlled by an XBOX 360 USB game pad for the main controls/Arcade emulators

It's not my primary because it looks great in the entertainment center instead of a PC and it's connected to the primary 40" LCD TV in the house so I barely get to use it. Pretty sweet though.

My last emulation resort is my i7 Toshiba laptop - not because of anything bad but I have the other setups so I don't use it for emulation because it's just not set up for it. I have a few emulators on it for when I go on vacation but nothing major.

If there's a topic like this then point me to it but if not... I think we should start a topic where we can show off our emulation stations with pics/vids/hardware specs on what we have. Just show off what's out there. I'm happy with my stuff but I would love to see what everyone else has!

If there's a topic like this then point me to it but if not... I think we should start a topic where we can show off our emulation stations with pics/vids/hardware specs on what we have. Just show off what's out there. I'm happy with my stuff but I would love to see what everyone else has!

Interesting thought. I think a lot of people use either their computers or game consoles, so there isn't too much to take pictures of. Maybe post screenshots showing what emus we tend to use?

I'll kick things off ...

Here's a screenshot of the emulators on my MacBook Pro in Lion - http://goldensdomain.com/MacEmu.png

Here's a screenshot of the desktop of my MacBook Pro in Windows 7 - http://goldensdomain.com/WinEmu.png

You can continue in the scene with emulation. In some ways, it's more accessible. In others, it's limiting. I like having the real gear for myself, and for "show 'n tell" Demonstrating emulation doesn't convey the "sparkle" that clean, old gear does. Get a storage, and do what others suggested. Keep it dry, not too cold, and power stuff up from time to time.

It's often hard to get gear back. As time passes, this stuff gets harder to get. In the early 90's I had Atari 8 bit computers, Apple ][+ and CoCo 3. Took quite some time and more $$$ to get setup again over the last few years. Got lucky on the Apple, scoring one just before Jobs died. Now they are expensive. They tend to do that. All the gear does, depending on what happens. Just know that before ditching it all.

There are triple systems that do SNES/Genesis/NES at StoneAgeGamers store. A jailbroken XBOX will do emulators OK. PSX emulation is hit or miss. Some versions of XBMC still work well. Always had streaming problems and buffering at the worst possible moments..

Relationships often involve sacrifice. Just remember Pitfall Harry will ALWAYS be there. You make the call on who deserves more space :P

Edited by theloon

Softmodding a Wii or XBOX is a way to go.

If you have a nice HD TV though, you can also go the PC route. Maybe invest in a smaller/mini box or something. You can run all your emulators through it, likewise you have the ability to watch things like Netflix and YouTube from it as well. The PC route is the most flexible IMO.

Good I gotta tell you I have really been considering this! Believe me it pains me to say and this is coming from a serious collector who would have never even considered it at one time. First though let me make it clear, at this point I have consoles/computers/accessories literally poking out from behind the couch, under the bed, on the balcony and of course my closets have been stuffed to capacity for years and for the record this is not a case of "My wife has been pressuring me" or "My wife is annoyed etc" No if anything she has been eerily accepting and supportive of my storage situation! Maybe that is what bugs me about it lol! Seriously though, I just feel bad about it and it has become an inconvenience. Extra storage space, moving etc just are not options before anyone asks so with all that in mind these are my motivations for going the route the OP suggests. Now to be fair I am not talking going primarily emulation but rather streamline in my collection for example knocking down my hardware to play original Atari 2600 carts (well OK my HARMONY CART) from 10 separate console options to maybe just a couple. I will add that personally I really don't mind a LOT of the emulators, OF COURSE original hardware / software is first choice but I am finding due to the reasons mentioned I can "live" with emulation when it comes to the majority of 8bit and earlier up to 16bit and even original Playstation. Honestly I have found software emulation to be superior even to the majority of "cone hardware" when it comes to performance and accuracy, though I draw the line at emulation I feel is just "not there yet" or too much of a hassle to set up or not very intuitive or representative of the original Hardware, in my opinion that includes things like Sega Saturn. Over the coming years I really do hope to streamline, focus, optimize (whatever you want to call it) my collection down to the essentials as well as have the best Flashcarts options and emulation.

though I draw the line at emulation I feel is just "not there yet" or too much of a hassle to set up or not very intuitive or representative of the original Hardware, in my opinion that includes things like Sega Saturn.

The latest release of SSF (0.12b R3) is just about as perfect as you're going to get. You need to make sure you use the high compatibility settings. I'm extremely picky about which emulators I use and will happily use SSF to play games without touching my Saturn console. The one thing you need are adequate resources to run it. For a constant 60fps, you do need a Core i5 or higher to get full speed across the Saturn catalog.

• Like 1

though I draw the line at emulation I feel is just "not there yet" or too much of a hassle to set up or not very intuitive or representative of the original Hardware, in my opinion that includes things like Sega Saturn.

The latest release of SSF (0.12b R3) is just about as perfect as you're going to get. You need to make sure you use the high compatibility settings. I'm extremely picky about which emulators I use and will happily use SSF to play games without touching my Saturn console. The one thing you need are adequate resources to run it. For a constant 60fps, you do need a Core i5 or higher to get full speed across the Saturn catalog.

Hmmm, well once I've put together a newer Desktop I will definitely revisit Saturn Emulation! Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

Hmmm, well once I've put together a newer Desktop I will definitely revisit Saturn Emulation! Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

What are your current system specs? I have SSF installed on an older Core2Duo based system and it runs pretty good. Gets 60fps in a lot of games and ~50fps in most others.

If you need any help getting it set up, just send me a msg.

What are your current system specs? I have SSF installed on an older Core2Duo based system and it runs pretty good. Gets 60fps in a lot of games and ~50fps in most others.

If you need any help getting it set up, just send me a msg.

PM'd thanks.

Well.. I definitely don't do the emo scene -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo

But since this thread seems to be about emulation then I shall speak up!

I prefer emulation for a number of reasons.

Reliability of hardware and the amount of space it takes up. Emulation excels in both areas.

I also like the ability to switch back and forth amongst systems and games. Emulation lets me do that just about instantly.

Thousands of games and supporting documentation can be saved and preserved without worrying about yellowing paper and rotting labels. I don't have to worry about maintenance and all that other stuff.

Emulation will grow over time as the only means to cost-effectively enjoy the classics, like it or not.

• Like 2

I would also say that a hacked xbox or Wii would be perfect for emulation.

The xbox is my prefered emulation box with a hacked controller so I can plug in a good old Atari stick :), but I still use the real deal most of the time

Yeah, get an PC with the fastest Intel processor you can. Intel is important due to PCSX2 and Dolphin taking advantage of them.

Also, as someone else said, a wired Xbox 360 controller. In my opinion it's the best emu controller you can get.

I went all emo. I even listen to the Smiths while I play. Ok, maybe not.

I bumped an older thread for you that I made that lists the better PC emus to grab.

It's reversed for me; I was heavily into emulation and now I prefer genuine consoles. Nothing beats the tangible feel of actually holding a game and playing it with genuine controllers.

The smell of opening a mint game, reading the game's manual, admiring the box art and the satisfying feel of inserting a cart in a console are pleasures.

Emulation became boring for me when I procured virtually every rom set; it became a chore to always update MAME and Good sets. Collecting actual games is much more fun and challenging; I enjoy the thrill of the hunt and finding deals.

Paid storage bins/lockers give me the creeps though. I’m always afraid I might fall on hard times and not be able to pay thus loose my collection. Shows like Storage Wars & Auction Hunters cause me nightmares lol.

Regarding emulation, a modded Xbox is ideal for classic emulation. You can get a stock console for around $25 and you will be amazed at the versatility of these wonderful machines. I have 3 Modded Xboxes in my house simply for XBMC and its media streaming ability.

A Modded PSP is also nice for emulation on the go. NES, Atari 2600 and Sega Genesis are excellent on it but SNES emulation is pretty poor IMO.

A used Windows XP Pentium 4 3 GHz machine is pretty versatile as well and you can get one at eBay for about $65 shipped if you're lucky.

It's reversed for me; I was heavily into emulation and now I prefer genuine consoles. Nothing beats the tangible feel of actually holding a game and playing it with genuine controllers.

The smell of opening a mint game, reading the game's manual, admiring the box art and the satisfying feel of inserting a cart in a console are pleasures.

Emulation became boring for me when I procured virtually every rom set; it became a chore to always update MAME and Good sets. Collecting actual games is much more fun and challenging; I enjoy the thrill of the hunt and finding deals.

I followed a similar path six or seven years ago. I'd owned and sold off nearly every system during the 90s, and I didn't want to go through the trouble and expense to collect that stuff again. So I started out all emulation. But that wasn't entirely satisfying.

I started collecting consoles that had different controllers that were hard to emulate -- like the 5200 and Intellivision. I branched out from there quite a bit, but I've recently gotten rid of most of my post-crash systems because I don't play them enough to justify having them around taking up space. I'm fine with emulation for those systems, for the most part. But for the early stuff (and anything Atari), I'm happier having the real thing.