IGNORED

How'd they come up with 2600?

mtshark7

So I always wondered where did the '2600' number come from?

I understand with the later systems by doing simple math:

5200 = 2600 * 2

7800 = (5200 * 2) - 2600

From doing a Wikipedia search on Atari 2600 they state it came from the serial number...but I feel that they came up with the name first before they came up with the serial number.

Any ideas?

Well, originally it was the Atari Video Computer System. The model was CX2600. IIRC, when they were producing their next-gen gaming system, they retroactively renamed the VCS the 2600, while their new system would be the 5200 (implying it's twice as powerful, I guess).

As to why the model number for the VCS was CX2600 and not, for example, CX1000 -- or even what the CX stands for (ConXumer product??) -- I dunno.

The first time I saw a 2600 mag in the book store I thought it was about the Atari. Naturally, I was disappointed (although intrigued) when I opened it up. I always thought they named it in honor of the Atari. Now, which came first?

EDIT: Just Googled, named in the '60s after the 2600 hertz tone. Innnteresting....

EDIT AGAIN: Since Woz was connected to Atari (via Steve Jobs) and he also built blue boxes, maybe he came up with the designation? The rumor starts here folks! :P :lol:

Edited by Emehr
  • Like 2

400/800 was derived from the intended RAM sizes on release, 4K or 8K.

By the time they came out, memory was cheap enough such that they doubled the standard memory sizes.

Maybe 2600 was the initial wholesale cost ($26) of the unit. 6507 was fairly cheap, IIRC $25 was the initial price of the 6502 so it probably dropped somewhat after a while.

Or maybe it just happened to be the product code and no special meaning was intended since VCS was the official name.

Well, we know that the moniker “Atari 2600” was a retronym applied to the VCS in order to distinguish it from its successor, the 5200. The logic in introducing the number names, I’m sure, was nothing more than simple marketing (i.e., higher numbers = MOAR BETTER!!1!1!!).

We also know that the “2600” digits come from the VCS model number CX2600 or whatever it was.

I reckon that’s about as much as we’ll ever know. They had to call the machine something internally. The CX2600 code probably means something to some Atari engineer involved in the early stages of the project, but only he’d be able to say exactly what (if he even remembers).

At the company I work for, we have all kinds of products whose names consist of numbers, and I know there are very few (if any) folks in my office who could tell you with authority where those numbers actually came from. We just get so used to referring to those products by those names that we don’t even think about it.

I reckon that’s about as much as we’ll ever know. They had to call the machine something internally. The CX2600 code probably means something to some Atari engineer involved in the early stages of the project, but only he’d be able to say exactly what (if he even remembers).

Did it have that number when Beardy McHot-tub was in charge? If it did, someone should ask him and see if he knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, the dial tone on older phones was 2600HZ (maybe still is?). It used to be that you could hack phones and get free phone calls (and other potentially subversive things) by having special boxes that generated various tones in the proper sequence.

Edited by AtariNerd