IGNORED

ATR Tools

AtariGeezer

Likely an issue with something in the C++ run time installed on the system. If I remember correctly, there is even a single numeric version of the library that actually has two variations. Don't ask for more detail on that though, as I can't remember where I bumped into that.

• 2 months later...

Try this one, it just set the main dialog in the foreground: attachicon.gifATRTOOLS-025A.ZIP

It also has the additions previously talked about.

I don't use MFC so that library isn't required...

Hi,

i've tried this release on my Windows 8.1 x64 : The programs seems to run because i can see it in the task manager. But that's all, ie program does not shows any window.

I've tried to run it as administrator : same problem.

There is nothing in the window's logs.

On another PC : Windows 7 Pro x64: Everything is fine.

Hi,

i've tried this release on my Windows 8.1 x64 : The programs seems to run because i can see it in the task manager. But that's all, ie program does not shows any window.

I've tried to run it as administrator : same problem.

There is nothing in the window's logs.

On another PC : Windows 7 Pro x64: Everything is fine.

Try this:

in the Task Manager's Application TAB, right click on ATR Tools ans select "Switch To", right click again and select "Bring to Front" and see where that gets you...

• Like 1

I think that's doable, I made an ARC extractor in a ST app for Express BBS ST back in the early 90's.

Good idea :)

That would be fantastic AtariGeezer - many thanks indeed!!!

Currently if I want to add something to a custom SDX ROM I have boot in to Altirra, attach the toolkit disk *.ATR, find and decompress the driver I want using the emulated SDX session, create and format a new disk image, copy the de-archived driver to that image, then finally mount the new *.ATR in an editor and export the driver to the windows filesystem... Groan... It gets old really fast!!!

Edited by morelenmir

Try this:

in the Task Manager's Application TAB, right click on ATR Tools ans select "Switch To", right click again and select "Bring to Front" and see where that gets you...

Unfortunatelly, In w8.1 you can "switch to" a process only on the child process.

But ATR Tool has no child process so it's not possible.

See here for details : http://www.nextofwindows.com/10-windows-8-1-task-manager-features-you-may-not-know

Regards.

Currently if I want to add something to a custom SDX ROM I have boot in to Altirra, attach the toolkit disk *.ATR, find and decompress the driver I want using the emulated SDX session, create and format a new disk image, copy the de-archived driver to that image, then finally mount the new *.ATR in an editor and export the driver to the windows filesystem... Groan... It gets old really fast!!!

Don't forget that Altirra can now mount an ARC as a SpartaDOS disk image. So:

1. Open toolkit ATR in disk explorer

2. Drag out ARCs of interest

3. Open ARCs in disk explorer

4. Drag out files of interest

5. Create new ATR

6. Drag in files of interest

• Like 5

Don't forget that Altirra can now mount an ARC as a SpartaDOS disk image. So:

1. Open toolkit ATR in disk explorer

2. Drag out ARCs of interest

3. Open ARCs in disk explorer

4. Drag out files of interest

5. Create new ATR

6. Drag in files of interest

You could do it that way... or you could just use this option in 2.80-test:

post-16457-0-93875000-1472534239_thumb.png

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Hi AtariGeezer

I was experementing with the "Scan ATR Files" feature of the ATR Tools.

I noticed that "ATR Search Results" always terminate with an error. The error occurs on random basis.

The fatal error may take place after few search cycles only.

I suspect that whenever ATR Tools starts searching in a new folder (I am not sure) by pressing "Start Search", a little annoying windows popups "fread Result".

Eventually, the program terminates.

See picture:

post-37046-0-65422400-1474999586_thumb.png

madi

I am encountering some odd file-handling and manipulation bugs.

I primarily use 'MKATR' - and would prefer to use 'ATR Tools' given its excellent feature set - to create disk images on which I have written new versions of firmware for the U1MB, SIDE2 and so on. Accordingly I like to keep my existing installation disks in case I have to revert the new code because of show-stopping problems. Therefore my usage model is to load up my last known-good installation disk, immediately save this under a different version number then remove the old firmware files from it and import the new ones. I will then save again and mount everything up in RespeQT in order to be served to the Atari.

However, while 'ATR Tools' will properly load up an existing disk image and properly report its contents I run in to problems when I begin the above mentioned upgrade process. Firstly, 'ATR Tools' will not let me save the existing image under a new filename; the 'File->Save as' drop-down menu item is greyed out. Oddly, while initially the 'File->Save' item is also disabled this changes if I randomly click through the various Tab-control pages and then click back to 'Directory'; after doing this 'File->Save' has usually become enabled. However at no point does 'Save As' become functional. Next, while 'File->Import File to Image' works properly, I find if I then select the item I have just imported and right-click to bring up the context menu the 'Delete' menu item is greyed out. Stupidly I select the wrong firmware or other file to import more often than I would like and must delete it before choosing the correct one. However the same 'Delete' item is enabled for files which were already in place when loading the image.

Obviously I am not for a second complaining or trying to be awkward!!! I just hope to provide some feedback on what might be tricky to tease-out bugs unless you have this specific usage-chain. It is well worth saying again that 'ATR Tools' is a fantastic application and I look forward to being able to use it exclusively for all disk imaging tasks.

I am encountering some odd file-handling and manipulation bugs.

I primarily use 'MKATR' - and would prefer to use 'ATR Tools' given its excellent feature set - to create disk images on which I have written new versions of firmware for the U1MB, SIDE2 and so on. Accordingly I like to keep my existing installation disks in case I have to revert the new code because of show-stopping problems. Therefore my usage model is to load up my last known-good installation disk, immediately save this under a different version number then remove the old firmware files from it and import the new ones. I will then save again and mount everything up in RespeQT in order to be served to the Atari.

However, while 'ATR Tools' will properly load up an existing disk image and properly report its contents I run in to problems when I begin the above mentioned upgrade process. Firstly, 'ATR Tools' will not let me save the existing image under a new filename; the 'File->Save as' drop-down menu item is greyed out. Oddly, while initially the 'File->Save' item is also disabled this changes if I randomly click through the various Tab-control pages and then click back to 'Directory'; after doing this 'File->Save' has usually become enabled. However at no point does 'Save As' become functional. Next, while 'File->Import File to Image' works properly, I find if I then select the item I have just imported and right-click to bring up the context menu the 'Delete' menu item is greyed out. Stupidly I select the wrong firmware or other file to import more often than I would like and must delete it before choosing the correct one. However the same 'Delete' item is enabled for files which were already in place when loading the image.

Obviously I am not for a second complaining or trying to be awkward!!! I just hope to provide some feedback on what might be tricky to tease-out bugs unless you have this specific usage-chain. It is well worth saying again that 'ATR Tools' is a fantastic application and I look forward to being able to use it exclusively for all disk imaging tasks.

Currently I have "Save" and "Save As" disabled since current writes to an image are immediate... These functions will be used with future enhancements.

I would suggest that users make a copy of an ATR first before adding/updating files to an existing disk image until I change that.

The Delete File context menu is enabled if you re-load the ATR after adding files, but I will change this. I also see the Import Files is also sometimes greyed out too...

Currently I have "Save" and "Save As" disabled since current writes to an image are immediate... These functions will be used with future enhancements.

I would suggest that users make a copy of an ATR first before adding/updating files to an existing disk image until I change that.

The Delete File context menu is enabled if you re-load the ATR after adding files, but I will change this. I also see the Import Files is also sometimes greyed out too...

I think I am with you then AtariGeezer; basically the whole *.ATR image is saved whenever a file is added (or deleted?) so there is no need to actually save it separately. Basically there is no 'working copy' - probably represented by a memory structure rather than actual temporary file - of the image which 'ATR Tools' works on. Instead it works directly with the image which has been loaded.

I think I am with you then AtariGeezer; basically the whole *.ATR image is saved whenever a file is added (or deleted?) so there is no need to actually save it separately. Basically there is no 'working copy' - probably represented by a memory structure rather than actual temporary file - of the image which 'ATR Tools' works on. Instead it works directly with the image which has been loaded.

Sort of: When a File is added/deleted or more precisely when a Sector is written to, only that portion of an ATR image is saved, Not the whole image...

Virtual Disk Images are also used in some unfinished parts of ATR Tools, which is also why Save and Save As aren't currently used.

ATR Tools shows a strange behaviour on my machine.

If I start it while Libre Office is running, then it takes veeeery long (20 sec up to more than a minute) until ATR Tools show up.

1) What if ATR Tools is loaded first?

2) What size is the ATR?

3) How long does it take to load without running Libre Office?

I can reproduce this on Windows 10 x64 with LibreOffice Writer 4.4.6.3. The problem is that ATR Tools is getting stuck in a SendMessage(HWND_BROADCAST, WM_FONTCHANGE) call because LibreOffice Writer is handling the message synchronously and enumerating all fonts, blocking ATR Tools while it does so. Try SendNotifyMessage() as a workaround.

• Like 3

With an ATX loaded I can change all the "sector status" flags and click on any of the "sector options" and "track options", but I cannot find anything that actually changes a bit on the image.

Am I just blind or has this not yet been enabled? ;)

Not blind, it's one of those things that's unfinished that will be implemented in the "Save As" menu...

I can reproduce this on Windows 10 x64 with LibreOffice Writer 4.4.6.3. The problem is that ATR Tools is getting stuck in a SendMessage(HWND_BROADCAST, WM_FONTCHANGE) call because LibreOffice Writer is handling the message synchronously and enumerating all fonts, blocking ATR Tools while it does so. Try SendNotifyMessage() as a workaround.

Thanks Phaeron, I'll change that today :)

• 9 months later...