IGNORED

best consoles for shmups and must haves for those systems

so_tough!

Genesis: Lightening Force, M.U.S.H.A., Giares

Dreamcast: Giga wing 2, Ikaruga, Mars Matrix

tons more average to good shooters on both of those systems.

NES seems to have a lot of them too, but they're not known for being very good. Recca being the most obvious exception--that game feels strangely modern for such ancient hardware.

And though it's not really on a 'shmup system,' I highly recommend Blazing Star on Neo Geo. A few other solid shmups on it too, but it's pretty much a fighter system.

Edit: Heck, PSX is no slouch either with a ton of exclusives like Einhander, and a few superior ports like Raystorm (aka layer section II on saturn)

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

And though it's not really on a 'shmup system,' I highly recommend Blazing Star on Neo Geo. A few other solid shmups on it too, but it's pretty much a fighter system.

Definiely.. add Aero Fighters series to the Neo Geo list (I have the third on my 4-slot cabinet). Viewpoint is good too, as is Pulstar. I like the Gunbird games for the arcade.. not just because they're great shooters, but the dialogue between the characters in the cutscenes is funny!

• Like 1

Once again, I'm carrying the TurboGrafx flag. The system is known to have a shmup heavy library with excellent shooters such as Raiden, R-Type, Blazing Lazers, Super Star Soldier, Soldier Blade, Gates of Thunder (CD), Lords of Thunder (CD), and Air Zonk.

But also, this generation of consoles had many great shooters including the Thunder Force series and M.U.S.H.A. (Genesis), and UN Squadron (SNES). The Turbo has awesome shooters, but can be difficult (and sometimes expensive) to collect for. If you have a Wii, I recommend using the Virtual Console for more expensive titles.

• Like 3

Atari 2600

Stargate, Super Cobra, Star Raiders, Cosmic Commuter, Defender, Star Voyager, Starmaster, Beamrider, Laser Gates, Subterranea, Gyruss, Phasor Patrol, Solar Fox, Space Attack, Universal Chaos, Solaris, Spitfire Attack and many more excellent shoot 'em ups.

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 5

Atari 2600... yeah, depends on what era of SHMUPS you're talking about. :lol:

For the more modern ones though, I'd go with SNES, Genesis and TG-16. Saturn and Dreamcast have some really great games, but they can be a little "too much" at times. Graphically AND spastically. Enough with shitting out of the bullets already! :rolling:

Edited by save2600

On the Famicom, my favorites are Crisis Force, Gun Nac, and Zanac. Crisis Force being my favorite.

The Turbo Grafx 16 is my system of choice for shooters. Soldier Blade dominates by staying in my console the most. Blazing Lasors, R-Type, W-Ring, Air Zonk, Sinistron, Dead moon, Dragon Spirit, Raiden, Aero Blasters, Galaga 90, and Side Arms find their way into my TG16 too.

The Genesis has a lot of games that hold my attention. Thunder Force series, Bio Hazard Battle, Fire Shark, Truxton, Gunstar Heroes, Arrow Flash, Atomic Robo Kid, Burning Force, Gaiares, Grind Stormer, Gynoug, Hell Fire, Sagaia, Task Force Harrier EX, Zero Wing, Steel Empire, Darwin 4081, Sol-Deace, Trouble Shooter, Twin Cobra, and what seems to be the Holy Grail of the MD which is MUSHA. There are also the rarities of Eliminate Down, and Gley Lancer.

• Like 1

here's some consoles that haven't yet been suggested…

PS2: first this covers PSX games too ;)

some games:

PS2

Mushihimesama

Ibara

ESPGaluda

DoDonPachi Dai-Oh-Jou

Gradius 3&4

Gradius V

Gunbird 1&2

Sengoku Blade&Ace

Dragon Blaze/Sol Divide

Giga Wing Generations

Homaru

Raiden III

Trizeal

Radirgy

Psyvarier Complete 

Trigger Heart Exelica

Strikers 1945 1&2

Castle of Shikigami/Mobile Light Force

Castle of Shikigami 2/Shikigami no Shiro 2

Silpheed: The Lost Planet

PSX

Einhander

Raystorm

Raycrisis

Thunder Force V

Xevious 3D

Philosoma

Raiden Project

R-Types

R-Type Delta

In The Hunt

G.Darius 

Gradius Gaiden

Zanac X Zanac

Toaplan Shooting Collection

DonPachi

DoDonPachi

Gaiaseed

Harmful Park

Soukyugerentai

Cotton 100%

Raiden DX

Gradius Deluxe Pack

Salamander Deluxe Pack

Parodius Deluxe Pack

Sexy Parodius

then… the Xbox 360 has a massive library of shooters!

Mushihimesama Futari

ESPGaluda II

Death Smiles

Death Smiles II

Akai Katana

Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets

Ketsui

DonDonPachi Dai-Oh-Jou Black Label

Raiden IV

Shikigami no Shiro III

Radirgy Noah

Shooting Love 200x

Otomadius

Raiden Fighters Aces

Bullet Storm

Eschatos (also has Judgement Silversword)

Mamoru-kun

Under Defeat

and on XBLA:

Guwange

Strania

and many more!!!

• Like 2

The Atari 2600 is the king of pre-1985 shooters. Atari 7800 though is a system to keep an eye for early eraof SHMUPS because of there is still shooters being programed for the 7800. Since 2006, Asteroids Deluxe, Space Duel, Space Invaders, Meteteor Shower (known as Astroblast for 2600) and Moon Creasta has been released for the 7800. There also is an early era SHMUP for the 7800 that currently in development that the 2600 doesn't have.

In terms of the modern Shmups, Sega Saturn, Tg-16/pc engine, and Sega Genesis are the best.

With the Sega Saturn at the moment, I have to say Panzer Dragon Panzer Dragon Zwei, Darius Gaiden, Soukyugerentai and DoDonPachi based on what I have. The Saturn has a lot of iimport shooters and they are not the cheapest to get.

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 1

Some of you guys keep talking about tg16, but forget pc engine is the same system! :) Anyway, I agree, pc engine/tg16 is great for shooters. Megadrive aswell. I was too lazy to write anything last night, apart from "?" I was tired!

Eltigro, Gates of thunder/lords of thunder looks brilliant! I really have to get a pc engine cd system!

Edited by so_tough!

Definiely.. add Aero Fighters series to the Neo Geo list (I have the third on my 4-slot cabinet). Viewpoint is good too, as is Pulstar. I like the Gunbird games for the arcade.. not just because they're great shooters, but the dialogue between the characters in the cutscenes is funny!

I have viewpoint, I don't particularly like it though....

Depends on the type of shooters really but the Saturn, PC Engine, Atari 2600 and Megadrive are all fantastic in different ways.

On the 2600 you have the classic arcade shooters like Space Invaders, Galaxian, Phoenix, Gorf, Demon Attack, Defender 2 and Gyruss.

The PC Engine has perhaps the best quality with stuff like Blazing Lazers, Lords Of Thunder, R-Type, Sidearms and Galaga '88.

The Saturn introduced bullet hell shooters from people like Cave (Radient Silvergun, Dodonpachi etc.) while still having improved versions of games from the 16-bit era like Darius and Parodius.

The Megadrive probably has the biggest selection and my favourites for this machine are Gynoug, Mercs, Xenon 2, Air Buster, Bio Hazard Battle and the Thunderforce games.

• Like 1

It depends on the generation.

For my kind of shooters, Sonic R pretty much nailed it on the head.

I'd recommend that you list which ones are region locked (Like Ketsui).

The only other suggestion I have is the Dreamcast, which has great shooters such as:

Zero Gunner 2 (my favorite shmup on the dreamcast, its a 360 degrees 2D shmup, where you rotate the helicopter with a button not with another analog stick)

Ikaruga

Under Defeat

Giga Wing 1 and 2

Mars Matrix

Cannon Spike

Not to mention the homebrew disc that someone so graciously put together, of all the great shmups with their emulators on it, from MAME to the SNES/Genesis. That doesn't really count though being its emulation.

SNES: Space Megaforce (Super Aleste in Japan).

Yea if you love Blazing Lazers on the TG-16, Space Megaforce is a must on the SNES. Its not really a sequel but an excellent unofficial followup to Lazers.

Not sure what it has to do with Blazing Lazers, But here's a video:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3TtfjDHYjvU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Okay, so how do I embed a YouTube video? Others seem to have done it.

Edited by BillyHW

SNES: Space Megaforce (Super Aleste in Japan).
Yea if you love Blazing Lazers on the TG-16, Space Megaforce is a must on the SNES. Its not really a sequel but an excellent unofficial followup to Lazers.
Not sure what it has to do with Blazing Lazers, But here's a video:

It shares many of the same elements, including firepower styles, and the way you can destroy ground objects. Both games were developed by Compile.