IGNORED

Happy New Year! - Scramble for the 7800

PacManPlus

Thanks for all of the kind words, guys.

Guess what, I had to implement flicker for this one. To use 320 character mode, an 8 byte-wide ship, six 1-byte shots, and 2 six-byte enemies takes approx 421 Maria Cycles. There was no way I could put two other enemies (there are 4 max on the screen at one time in this game). So, I was left no choice. The flicker has very little intelligence, you can see it in the UFO and meteor stages.

I am hitting some CPU cycle maxes already in this game. Took me most of the day to get some acceptable frame rates out of this. Still, if everything is on the screen at once, you can see a little slowdown.

This is what I have left:

- End Of Level

- Rocket Launching (this one's going to be tough)

- Sound

Here's the latest WIP

Enjoy,

Bob

P.S. - To the question about using the Marquee 'Scramble' for the splash screen, I would like to, but it all depends on how much space I have left.

Thanks!

Scramble.A78

Scramble.bin

ScrambleP.A78

ScrambleP.bin

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1

Funny you should start with that one, as that is the one I started with as well. The sounds in Scramble seemed simple, so I figured the TIA could handle them.

Here's my version of the background sound. I used Voice $0A, with the sweep moving in threes from $1F to $02 (the $02 I had to fudge because I didn't want $01 - it was too high). I also added the slight delay.

Funny thing though, in my version of ProSystem that voice is muted. On the real thing it sounds good though. That sound is in the attachment below.

I think the UFO sound is going to be the most difficult, with the warbling and all...

Scramble.A78

Scramble.bin

ScrambleP.A78

ScrambleP.bin

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1

I wonder if a memory watch in Mame could help. No idea if hardware registers can be monitored.

I did the start music in Moon Cresta by just measuring the notes and selecting best matching frequency.

Maybe for that quick sweeping sound, a similar technique could be used. Just pick landmark parts of some captured audio and work out the frequencies and duration of the sweeps.

What are the differences between Scramble and Super Cobra, and can there be a Super Cobra version too?

Just plain astounding, Bob as always.

Super Cobra is the sequel to Scramble and is a lot more difficult. There's a lot more stages, and there's more enemies who are a lot more aggressive.

I always thought if there's a Super Cobra for the 2600 (whatever your opinion of it may be, there outta be a Scramble for the 2600 as well. But I'll take a 7800 version anytime as well. :)