IGNORED

Happy New Year! - Scramble for the 7800

PacManPlus

Of course put me on the list I would really like this game.. I can put it next to Moon Cresta, Meteor Shower, and Crazy Bricks, Can't wait to be able to buy Super Circus Atari Age and Pac Man 320 Pokey! Hopefully the XMs come soon.. Did you ever decide to work on Frenzy again?

Wow - thank you for all of those wonderful responses - I've said it before and I'll say it again: you guys are too kind. Thank you, really.

The only reason I got these last few out so fast if because I am not working. It's too bad - if there was interest in this and I can get at least one game out a month and sell at least 100 copies of each, I can break even down here.

That would be a wonderful way to make a living! :)

Here is the entire game. I may make one or two little changes, but short of bugs, I think it's done.

Please play test it hard. There are sections of flickering, but it still should be very playable.

NOTE - Again I have to stress this - the background sound for some reason does not come out in ProSystem, but it's there on the real thing.

NOTE - I may do the intro tune again; I don't like it.

Thanks again, guys,

Bob

BIG NOTE - I changed the Intro Tune. It's 100% Better. Please re-download.

Scramble.A78

Scramble.bin

ScrambleP.A78

ScrambleP.bin

Edited by PacManPlus

Amazing and awesome work, Bob! FYI...Intro tune plays fine under MESS. I'm using 0.144u4 and the intro tune sounds pitch perfect, great stuff!

My only critical comment is that the fuel level never seems to be a threat for me, even on the Hard setting. Either there are too many fuel tanks available or it is not ticking down fast enough; or perhaps a combination of the two (?)

In the arcade version (Have been playing via MAME), every single game I find myself hearing the 'fuel low' warning at least 5-6 times in one session. In this port I have yet to reach less than half way depleted.

Edited by Trebor

I'll hopefully give it some love over the weekend :)

Can't comment on the fireballs/bombs thing as I'm always right at the bottom of the screen, hiding away there in phase three hah hah...

that's how you're supposed to do it.. hide on the bottom. The taller mountains make you have to dip up for a second now and then though to hurdle them.

If you just stay on the top trying to dodge, you're doing it wrong (or are just extremely good). :P

Thanks, guys :)

@Rybags - I fixed it so the bombs / lasers move through the meteors.

@Trebor - That's odd... I actually ran the MAME version and my port (in 'Normal' mode) side by side and the fuel depleted at the same rate. Also, I ripped the terrain directly from the arcade ROM, so the fuel tanks are in the same places.... Maybe you've just gotten better? :D

I've also added some more 'attract mode' screens (like the 'score table' and such).

Let me know if you find anything else...

Bob

For all hackers :)

The terrain (and objects on the ground) starts in this ROM at $8800 (the cart itself begins at $8000). There are 6 bytes that describe each *column* of terrain, laid out like this:

$00 - Number of filled zones from top of the screen (like in the UFO stage)

$01 - Character at the bottom of the above filler

$02 - Number of skipped zones from the top of the screen (starts the bottom terrain)

$03 - Character at the top of the lower terrain (from that point forward, the bottom terrain is filled like the top terrain)

$04 - Vertical zone of object ($00 if none)

$05 - Object placed: $00 - None, $01 - Rocket, $02 - Fuel, $04 - Bonus Item, $08 - Base

Have fun! :)

Scramble.A78

Scramble.bin

ScrambleP.A78

ScrambleP.bin

Edited by PacManPlus

Hi Guys:

HSC Entry issue fixed in this version, shots sometimes going through airborne enemies fixed, and I messed a little with the difficulty:

IPLROCKET

.byte $00,$01,$02,$03,$04,$04,$04,$04

IPLFUEL

.byte $1A,$17,$14,$12,$10,$0F,$0E,$0D

First off, EASY difficulty starts out at the first set of values (i.e. IPLROCKET = $00 and IPLFUEL = $1A), NORMAL (like the arcade) starts off at the third set of values, and HARD starts off at the fifth set of values.

IPLROCKET is the maximum number of rockets that can launch on the screen at one time.

IPLFUEL is the number of frames that elapse before your fuel is brought down 1 unit. $14 (20 decimal) which is the 'NORMAL' difficulty setting pretty much matches the arcade from what I can see. I'm wondering if $0D (13 decimal) at the very end is *too* fast. I can't make it to the end without cheating.

Also, shooting the Fuel tank gives the player $18 (24 decimal) units of fuel.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bob

Scramble.A78

Scramble.bin

ScrambleP.A78

ScrambleP.bin

Hi Guys:

Ok - Trebor! Regarding your question about fuel consumption: You must have played the Stern version of Scramble. I just tried the 'Stern' Version, and the fuel runs out *much* quicker than the Konami version (which is what I've been using as a guide)

Now I don't know which one to use.

Maybe I'll set the 'HARD' difficulty to the Stern fuel usage, and the 'Normal' difficulty to the Konami version.

EDIT - I just measured it. The Konami version averages 20 frames per fuel unit (like I had) and the Stern Version averages *12*. Damn, that's brutal.

Also, I forgot to cycle the colors when the player's ship is exploding

Edited by PacManPlus

Hi:

Ok - this is what I'm doing:

IPLFUEL

.byte $1A,$17,$14,$11,$0E,$0D,$0C,$0B

Having the fuel deplete one unit every 12 ($0C) frames is way too hard to start with, in my opinion. I kept the Konami version at 20 ($14) frames for the 'Normal' setting. The 'Hard' setting is set at 14 ($0E) frames. It does (as you can see) work it's way down to 12 ($0C) frames and finally 11 ($0B) - I assume the Stern version gets more difficult after reaching the base once.

Does anyone take issue with this or can I leave it this way?

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

I actually like hard better than I do normal. On normal it seems like there's no real risk of running out of fuel but maybe that's because I'm not very good and don't get very far. Oh and I was hoping someone would make a Super Cobra type game for the 7800. Never knew it was a sequel.

Hi Guys:

Ok - Trebor! Regarding your question about fuel consumption: You must have played the Stern version of Scramble. I just tried the 'Stern' Version, and the fuel runs out *much* quicker than the Konami version (which is what I've been using as a guide)

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the follow-up. Yes, it is indeed the Stern version as I believe that is the version released in the US. The Konami version was Japan, right (?)

Is it possible to perhaps have a "ARCADE" difficulty above HARD which follows the US Arcade version for the fuel?

Edit...Okay saw your post respecting HARD fuel depleting changing closer to the Arcade version. Thanks...I'll play Hard for the closer to Arcade experience :-)

Edited by Trebor

I'd suggest use Difficulty switches to select fuel depletion.

It's fairly common with arcade games that they adjust (usually up) the difficulty in later revisions.

But in some cases they just went ridiculous. Just because a few people could clock the score they assumed everyone could.

The game is getting even better.

The title screen and attract mode are great, they gives a more arcade-style feel.

After the score table, there is a while with only the Scramble title and rest of the screen in black, until attract mode starts again. I tested the game in a emulator. This "black screen" is for show scores from HSC??

Maybe I'll set the 'HARD' difficulty to the Stern fuel usage, and the 'Normal' difficulty to the Konami version.

About difficulty, I'm still think this It would be a great idea. Replacing for example the difficulty options (easy, normal, hard) with choosing between Stern or Konami version.

Asides the change of Fuel speed, change © info and maybe let rockets more agressive for Stern version and you would get a perfect "Scramble Collection".

But anyway, damn, I can't wait to play it in a real 7800, excellent work!!