IGNORED

Happy New Year! - Scramble for the 7800

PacManPlus

Thanks for the kind words and the input, guys

I'd suggest use Difficulty switches to select fuel depletion. It's fairly common with arcade games that they adjust (usually up) the difficulty in later revisions. But in some cases they just went ridiculous. Just because a few people could clock the score they assumed everyone could.
After the score table, there is a while with only the Scramble title and rest of the screen in black, until attract mode starts again. I tested the game in a emulator. This "black screen" is for show scores from HSC??
Maybe you could have an Easy, Konami, and Stern setting cause I suck at this game lol

I think having "Easy", "Konami", and "Stern" difficulty settings (instead of "Easy", "Medium", and "Hard") is a good combination of everyone's suggestions.

What I did was keep the descriptions (i.e. Easy, Normal, and Hard) and have the copyright change at the bottom of the screen so you know which one you are playing.

I just 'cheated' my way through 6 levels of the Stern version and the fuel consumption gets as low as $08 frames per fuel unit! I don't see how anyone can get to the end with their fuel draining at that speed.

Here is the Fuel Consumption chart now:

IPLFUEL

.byte $1C,$18,$14,$10,$0C,$0B,$0A,$09,$08

So, "Easy" starts at $1C, "Konami" (Normal) starts at $14 like its arcade counterpart, and "Stern" (Hard) starts at $0C like its arcade counterpart. So eventually, all versions (if you're good enough) get to the $08 frames per fuel unit round.

@Keitaro: Yes, that 'black' screen was where the HSC shows the scores. I have fixed that, there is now a 'local' high score table if the HSC is not detected. The 'local' high score table does not hold when the power is turned off.

Thanks guys - here is the latest release.

Bob

Scramble.A78

Scramble.bin

ScrambleP.A78

ScrambleP.bin

Edited by PacManPlus

This looks great Bob! Not sure if it's been mentioned but the title tune is playing in ProSystem now. Also - one thing I noticed is that the explosions for objects in flight don't scroll with the terrain but they do in the arcade version. Other than that I could barely tell the difference! :)

Thanks!

Hey John!!!!

Great to hear from you (and thanks for the compliments) :) I fixed the explosion not moving with the terrain.

@rmaerz - Thanks! - The game auto detects (like Asteroids) if you have a one-button or two-button controller. No need for a setting :) The one button controller launches a laser and a bomb simultaneously (like Xevious)

Latest version attached.

Thanks!

Bob

Scramble.A78

Scramble.bin

ScrambleP.A78

ScrambleP.bin

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 2

Phenomenal and incredibly done; thank you as always for not only your generosity in sharing this with the community, but your flexibility and accommodations with the game options…Class act and professional while being friendly and positive.

While I no longer own 7800 hardware, but at the same time you have declined previous offers of payment for the distributed electronic copy…You’ve left me no other choice…

Bob, please put me down for a copy of this as well. :)

Edited by Trebor

Looks great as usual. I've never really played Scramble much except for a few times in Konami Classics on the GBA. Never really played Super Cobra either even though I've had it on the 2600 for a couple decades. You could say this has introduced or at least re-introduced me to the game and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Furthermore, that cartridge looks darn sexy! Probably the sexiest 7800 cart I've seen so far. ;)

Question though, (not a criticism, just curious), I read when you first posted about trying this game when you were brainstorming for a solution to the choppy scrolling at the screen edges. Did you successfully overcome that, cause it looks the same in Prosystem and MESS as the ground in the original test binary. Again, not a criticism as I'm not bothered by it anyway, just curious what I missed.

No DMA slots left to put in clipping objects it seems.

Too bad they didn't include a left/right border register in the 7800 and have Maria do it automatically.

The other alternative, I don't know if I or anyone suggested - either left or right justify the screen, but it would look a bit strange.

It's awesome, better than I expected. Including an attract mode and even local Hsc are details that makes a more complete product.

I got the same feeling like when I was a child getting a new arcade conversion for my home computer.

And no more Stern vs Konami version, you can choose both. I checked the scores at MARP, and yes, Stern version seems really harder.

A detail about Konami version is the word of the company at the top of a building in the last stage:

http://www.henricus.eu/browse.php?image=23

but maybe including it will be harder than it looks, I guess.

Again, thanks for sharing your work.

Thanks, guys :)

To answer your question, there is no 'Maria' time left to add the masking... Also being that I only have two palettes with two colors each (I have to use transparency which removed one of the three colors from use) I don't have a 'black' color anyway.

Also, the 'KONAMI' name *is* at the top of the building in this port - I've always liked that (It is their game originally, after all). I did not remove it for the Stern (Hard) difficulty setting.

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

I still can't get past the first wave of fireballs and I'm normally very decent at SHMUPS (proto and otherwise) :?

Hide low behind the mountains.. then time your "jumps" around the high ones to hide in the next low valley. I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's how you do it. :)

I still need to try out this game.. I can usually clear 2-3 bases a game without trying too hard so it'd be interesting. Are you guys playing it on an emulator? I have a Cuttle Cart 2 but I can't find it at the moment :lol: Anyone playing it on that?

Edited by NE146

One more tip.. it's important to know you CANNOT go backwards in the game (pushing backwards makes your ship stationary on the scrolling background). So in the final maze sections, push forward as far as you can, then once you're past a wall, push diagonally down or up as needed to make the next tunnel. You cannot hit the wall with your butt if you're already past it. :)

Thanks!

Here's some gameplay video: http://youtu.be/LtpiH5hCttI

Maybe it's just me but it looks like way too many rockets are launching at the final stage before the maze. Heck I think every rocket there launched in the video.

Welp I'm about to try it now. I'm too lazy to dig out my 7800 & CC2, so I'm going to try it on the Xbox using Atari7800x v6. :)

Edited by NE146