IGNORED

Happy New Year! - Scramble for the 7800

PacManPlus

@CarvinV3: Thanks, and welcome to AtariAge! :) I've sent you a PM.

@Kurt_Woolsh: Thanks for the info - I didn't remember seeing it for any system other than the Vectrex. I flickered the enemies purposely because at that high of a resolution I could only get nine objects on the screen at a time until Maria was overloaded (Player's Ship, four shots, two bombs, and two enemies). From what I can tell, there are never more than four *moving* enemies on the screen at one time, so I flockered the two sprites between the four enemies when necessary.

As a side note, everyone who I owe a cartridge to at this point has had it sent out.

Edited by PacManPlus

@Kurt_Woolsh: (...) I flickered the enemies purposely because at that high of a resolution I could only get nine objects on the screen at a time until Maria was overloaded

Which makes me curious... what happens if Maria gets overloaded? I guess this happens if the display list gets too long to be executed during one scanline, so Maria doesn't get to finish it in time. What happens then... does Maria leave blank the unfinished scanline? Or does it display the unfinished scanline as far as it got while still trying to complete it? Or does it repeat the previous scanline until the new one is finished?

@Kurt_Woolsh: (...) I flickered the enemies purposely because at that high of a resolution I could only get nine objects on the screen at a time until Maria was overloaded

Which makes me curious... what happens if Maria gets overloaded? I guess this happens if the display list gets too long to be executed during one scanline, so Maria doesn't get to finish it in time. What happens then... does Maria leave blank the unfinished scanline? Or does it display the unfinished scanline as far as it got while still trying to complete it? Or does it repeat the previous scanline until the new one is finished?

Nothing that elaborate - it never gets to finish rendering items in the display list, so they never get drawn on the screen.

Just got the game the other day, thanks, plays great, have not yet got to the end on easy yet, keep losing to lives on the level that you can not kill the things that come accoss real fast. that and the friggin prolines suck for rapid fire and movement at the same time, can only play for 5 minutes and hand hurts..

I was having a hard time playing this with the 7800 control pads because the buttons are too far apart to easily press both of them at the same time. I don't know how many ppl here use or know of the "Slik Stik," but it is the be all - end all of joysticks for the 2600. That's the joystick that I grew up with and because of the way they're made, it still works as good as the day I got it. Anyway, I was fiddling around with the difficulty switches trying to get the buttons combined and then I remembered that Bob said if you use a one-button controller, the game would detect and fire both shots and bombs at the same time. So... I tried the game with the Slik Stik and it plays sooooo much better for me. I still kinda suck, but I'm doing much much better and loving the game. :)

Edited by KevinMos3

That header error reminds me when I was The Galaxer and I played Pac Man 320 (POKEY ver) on ProSystem... Until it freezed when I got an power pellet everytime. Turns out it was an header error that made the freeze loop because the game was picking infinite directions for the ghosts...

Got mine on Feb. 18, while Inky and I were checking out a new (kinda) retro arcade...!

I gotta say, the only version I'd ever played of Scramble was the Vectrex version (even though the place Inky and I went to had the arcade version of Scramble), and...wow...just like I remember, except a lot more colors. :) And it remind me of all the little nooks and crannies in the Vectrex version I had a PITA time getting past...arggh!!! :)

Great work as always, Bob!