IGNORED

Atari projects 2012

Stephen

I thought I would start the year on a good note, and start by finishing up many of my "perpetually in progress" Atari projects.

Project #1 - assemble Ken's 1200XL cart to PBI adapters I got nearly 3 years ago:

post-650-0-47478000-1325473819_thumb.jpg

post-650-0-12564500-1325473822_thumb.jpg

Project #2 - finish assembling two more of Lotharek's Covox audio boards. I currently use one in my 130XE, the sound is excellent! I am pissed about the few resistors that are slightly off alignment. At least I took the time to make all the text face the same direction. The little bastards do not come out of the packaging that way!

post-650-0-43074600-1325473877_thumb.jpg

post-650-0-97503600-1325473882_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hardware stuff -plenty. I think I had the soldering iron out maybe once or twice last year. Last time I didn't even remember to fix my monitor cable.

SIO2SD, IDE Plus 2 and RGB -> S-video converter all need to be housed. I'm thinking of some sort of all-in solution but it's not really progressed.

Software - plenty to do. Current project, get Moon Cresta sorted and start on legacy HW version. ATRLoad V2 - make a start on that.

Then there's 2 other games on the backburner and any number of prospectives.

Way too much hardware stuff to do , most of which has been hanging around for 2 or more years.

Atari 800, repair keyboard (space key not working)

Atari 400 two to do video mods on, plus another that is dead and requires fixing

Atari 1200xl, video mod, OS mod, RAM upgrade and maybe a pbi mod

Atari xegs, find out why the bloody thing does not work.

Atari 65xe, RAM upgrade and retrobright

Atari 1050 retrobright

Atari 815 retrobright

Rana 1000 retrobright

Atari 7800 3 to video mod

Atari 2600 video mo

Sears video arcade ii video mod

Crummydore Amiga 500+ repair/replace fdd

Hack the av to rgb board that I bought to enable pal and s-video input

Find out why my 512k sram upgrade from megaHZ does not work

Make a bunch of 7800 homebrew carts

Hardware (imminent): two Ultimate 1MB installations, a VBXE install, and various other mods (not on my machines). More Ultimates to do later on. CM8833-II to fix, and a 1084S tube swap.

Restoration: Retr0Brite anything in the collection which has yellowed, then seal the lot with Print-Guard spray (proven to keep XE keyboards and cases from yellowing for six months, so looks good).

Software: Finish VBXE driver for LW (imminent), and possibly produce text editor for SDX at some point (using the S_VBXE driver). Produce VBXE coding examples for the next core pack. Other than that, it's GUI all the way and I do not aim to all fall prey this year to huge distractions from other other projects (re: IDE drivers) the way I did last summer.

• Like 1

in my NTSC 130XE, and PAL 800XE- Install U1MB, VBXE, Gumby+

My XEGS-install my sio2sd internally, Gumby+, S-Vid upgrade, hias 512k SRAM. (need to get the buttons back from the painter first tho :'/ )

none of this will even be looked at before mid Feb, as i have a pile of work for other people to get done first...

sloopy.

Well, I'd certainly like to get my 800XL set back up at it owns desk, even if I have to randomly

pick a family member and move them out. :)

After that, I'd like to get the U1meg upgrade installed, get my SNUXX drive set up, install

the stereo upgrade, etc, etc, etc,...

Of course this is just on the 8bit side. On the ST side, the list is much longer.

Always something to look forward to - and that's just the way I like it. :)

Phew, so many :-)

- Kick-Ass/flexible MultiPlatform support, FAIL formats support and better include file support in WUDSN IDE

- Menu-Intro and "Wooah" Demo for a hardware which is planned for the ABBUC HW contest (HW not by me).

- Support for a game which is planned for the ABBUC SW contest (game not by me)

- Port of a certain game which has fascinated my for many many years. I have tried many times before, but because I suck a game playing & game coding, I took a different approach this time. It started as a nightmare and now slowly turns into fun. Maybe it'll not by really playable (reasons see sentence before), but I gives me good vibriations to have fully understood the game's code (which is really great) and it'll be a nice demo in any case.

• Like 2

- I am planing to release the final version of MJO in January. I will release it in any state it is in to that point in time. Reason below.

- planning a game for ABBUC-Contest (many ideas in my head, let's see if it get's anywhere :)

- small intro for ABBUC-Magazin

- an application which will be a surprise for most here (let's see how far I get)

However, in February I start a new job, so I can't really judge right now how much free time I will have. The last year I worked 130km away from home so I had 4 evenings during the week with nothing else to do. That will change as the next job is in my home town and more involving.

• Like 1

I thought I would start the year on a good note, and start by finishing up many of my "perpetually in progress" Atari projects.

Project #1 - assemble Ken's 1200XL cart to PBI adapters I got nearly 3 years ago:

O_o You got a spare of one of these :D

- I am planing to release the final version of MJO in January. I will release it in any state it is in to that point in time. Reason below.

- planning a game for ABBUC-Contest (many ideas in my head, let's see if it get's anywhere :)

- an application which will be a surprise for most here (let's see how far I get)

However, in February I start a new job, so I can't really judge right now how much free time I will have. The last year I worked 130km away from home so I had 4 evenings during the week with nothing else to do. That will change as the next job is in my home town and more involving.

And what about that one?

I am starting to think that your name is another name ;) ...

Todo* list:

+Finish up ending sequence for one ZX Spectrum game

+Do something with the Amiga sidescrolling engine that's taking shape

+Tidy up the disassembly of 2 6502-based games I've been toying with. Currently they have been shifted to the C64 and are running(-ish) but I'm trying to tidy the code up a little more, make them completely relocatable (hopefully) and then I can jump in and patch them up to run on the A8. I did the C64 first because one of them is a Commodore plus/4 game and it's a little closer in some respects and a machine I'm more familiar with, so I can use that to rule out flaws in the disassembly (as opposed to ones that are down to me making a cockup of coding the A8)....

+Do a small PC/mobile game

*Not the English word 'Todo' (to do), the Spanish one ('everything')....

O_o You got a spare of one of these :D

One for each of my 1200XLs :)

Well,

new job generally means: less time for the A8 than before !

new job in home town specifically where your wife/girlfriend is: no more time for the A8 at all !

;-) ;-) ;-)

-Andreas Koch.

i want to

-be more active on a8 again

-build an SDrive

-finish some a8 jobs (XE repair, SIO2SD implants, VBXE install)

-get hands on a 65816 upgrade

if RL lets me. At least i sold those time-eating skateboards.

Nice to be here again :)

I'll chime in here too and list a few 'big ideas' that I have plans for....

I rarely post, but I regularly read up in AtariAge, mainly the 8bits... I think this place is the best!

HW:

* A special mega-project that could prove to be the neatest thing since joysticks! A CPU-coprocessor

board with extra memory, storage, I/O, and _lots_ of computing cycles. I would wish to make it

available for around 100 dollars. (With some differences, this could be made either Internal, or External)

* Pokey upgrade board that installs underneath Pokey itself and provides higher bandwidth for

sound and some storage and surprises. Trying to have it 'very affordable'.

SW:

* A 'Turbo-Basic-like' language that is extensible and fully uses _all_ available expanded memories.

(Could operate with both stock Atari and copro Atari.)

* Sound library for stock Pokey, for msx/sfx. Would have some form of primitive 'instruments' and

two or three other tricks. I'm not a Pokey expert as much as some here, but I think this could make

some nice sounds.

* Various game and utility pgms, especially with the co-pro computing.

I've talked about some of these before, but I haven't been able to focus on them productively. I have

recently moved and changed my lifestyle some, and I do hope to have serious attention on some

of this kewlness this year! I've spent a _lot_ of time thinking through these projects, and have

some detailed concepts figured out. I would welcome some help on these projects from advanced

coder/pcb artists to help get this stuff happening. First I will have to start it up myself, which is

obvious and reasonable. So I won't really expect people lining up until I have something in-hand.

When I do, I will post in AtariAge, either in 8bits, or in Hardware and explain what I'm making and

what I wish help with more specifically.

Peace!

SW:

* A 'Turbo-Basic-like' language that is extensible and fully uses _all_ available expanded memories.

Something like the fast and powerful VCS (Visual) batariBasic would be perfect!

http://bataribasic.com/

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/123849-visual-bb-1-0-a-new-ide-for-batari-basic/

If I can remember how after all these years (some is familiar...) then I aim to write something this year. I did have the seed of an idea but I am not sure where I am going with it next. The demo is very basic and completely pointless, use the joystick to enclose an area and it will fill with red. Scrolls at half speed by default, press the trigger to toggle between full speed scrolling.

- Paul

PL080112.XEX

• Like 1

SW:

http://www.atariage....r-batari-basic/

I wonder how big a jump it would be from the 2600 version?

Hmm, it's lot of things:

-fix 800XE(bad rams)

-build covox

-find some nice box for SDrive

-finish MyIDE

-get 1200XL and 800 (impossible! ;))

-try to learn 6502 assembly

Also, i've wanted to make portable 800XL using PS1 lcd screen, but I can't find one.

SW:

http://www.atariage....r-batari-basic/

I wonder how big a jump it would be from the 2600 version?

That idea is certainly interesting! I think I've seen bAtari comment negatively about porting

bB to the 'big system'. I would enjoy having some similarities with bB! I definitely was going

to eliminate the need for line#'s and have 'real source code'. Since the code in bB must be

so small, I wonder if there's a 'nucleus' part/structure that can be used, with permission?

I wonder how the DPC+ is going? I would really value a good clear description of just

what DPC+ does - I have some idea but, eg; I rarely even see what DPC stands for in the vcs

threads nor how the '+' differs. (Do the authors know???:P )

I was surprised when the polls on this site show that most ppl (other than asm) use TurboBasic;

not Action! or even C! So that's partly why I am interested in an expandible turbobasic.

Many can contribute to it! Imagine; having a 320K XE and loading up a 180K game! (or more)

Peace!