IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2012 (Season 5)

I only ever play games on default setting, havent beat chiki chiki yet.. :)

I've been wondering if I should rethink my "gotta beat it on Hard" mentality. Part of me thinks that beating a game means beating the worst it can dish out, but part of me thinks there's more sanity in saying that beating the default setting = beating the game. Certainly I've put a lot of time -- maybe too much time -- into banging my head against the hardest settings of Sol-Feace, Shaq-Fu, Street Fighter II, and other games that don't have the initials SF. We'll see.

You haven't *really* beat Street Fighter II until you've done it with Dhalsim on the hardest difficulty setting, without losing a match. :)

My times for Monday - Thursday:

Atari 7800:

Asteroids - 3 min.

Karateka - 38 min.

Rampage - 4 min.

Water Ski - 12 min.

Sega 32X:

Metal Head - 184 min.

Beat Metal Head on Normal, then Hard. Comments here.

I also got my first 2-button controller for 7800, and fired up a few games I couldn't play before. Karateka lives up to its bad reputation for the most part, though the real problem isn't the control scheme (odd but doable), but the lag. Still, I made it to the fifth enemy, so not too bad for a first effort. I might like to try beating this one.

Meanwhile, Water Ski reminds me of one of my favorite 1970s arcade games, Fire Truck. Unlike that classic, Water Ski is a fairly dismal game, but like Fire Truck it'd be more fun with two players. If I had the know-how, I'd build an adapter to take the directional lines from one joystick, and the fire buttons from the two-button controller.

• Like 1

ColecoVision

Omega Race: 20 minutes

Pepper II: 15 minutes

Turbografx-16

Klax: 5 minutes

Odyssey2

K.C. Munchkin: 10 minutes

Killer Bees: 10 minutes

Turtles: 15 minutes

Turtles kicks my butt every time. I'd love to get beyond the second floor some day...

Here are my times for this past week (January 16th through 22th)...

Arcade:

Dig Dug - 295 min. in 4 sessions

Pac-Land - 88 min. in 2 sessions

Commodore 64:

The big deal - 111 min. in 2 sessions

I continued to play "Dig Dug" trying to get to Round 16, but didn't make it.

I actually started to play "Pac-Land" because I wanted to record the music (or rather game sounds) and use it as a background for some announcements in my next show at Radio-is-music-for-life. I thought the music would fit well to some other, commercial music I planned for that show.

Then I decided to replay "The big deal", one of the first cooking games for the C-64. This time I even managed to complete some orders and deliver them to guests, but the game crashed before it ended.

Later on the day when I first played "The big deal", I went to record some songs off old cassette tapes into the PC. I was looking for a version of "Day-O" by Harry Belafonte I've sung back in 1980, if I remember right. Since my tapes are ordered chronologically, I started to look around the time I must have first heard it, which was when Harry Belafonte did it on The Muppets Show. I didn't find that recording, however I stumbled over the recording of another Muppets Show starring Liberace, where one of the songs he played was marked by me as "Big Deal Theme". Now I was curious to compare Liberace's version to the one played in the game since I actually just had played that game. Actually, it's the background tune of the game, and it's called "Five foot two, eyes of blue", the only song Liberace sings on the show (the others he only plays on the piano). I actually found this song to have some similarity to Pac-Land's background music, so I plan to play Liberace's version right after the Pac-Land theme on my show which will take place tomorrow. This inspired me to play some more "Big Deal".

• Like 1

Colecovision

Circus Charlie - 5 minutes

Road Fighter - 10 minutes

Venture - 15 minutes

Apple ][

Wizardry (Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord) - 45 minutes (just long enough to get a party together and get them equipped!)

• Like 1

My times for Friday - Sunday:

Intellivision:

Commando - 39 min.

iStar - 5 min.

Minehunter - 11 min.

Space Patrol - 3 min.

Stonix - 18 min.

Tron: Maze-A-Tron - 45 min.

Sega Genesis:

Legend of Wukong - 85 min.

I've had Tron: Maze-A-Tron for a while, but today was the first time I made a real effort to figure out how to play it. I think I get the gameplay now; the problem is, I can't find any of the @#$%# RAM chips! The only time I've seen one is immediately after teleporting.

I also repeatedly reached the end of the second mission in Commando, but couldn't make it past that viper's nest of enemy soldiers coming from every direction at the end. Pretty impressive port, though a bit glitchy; pity that the fourth level isn't included (unless it shows up on the higher difficulty setting, which I doubt).

• Like 1

Here's the summary for Week 3, running from January 16-22. We logged 2780 minutes of eligible play, playing 44 games on a total of 15 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 1079

2. Dig Dug (Arcade) - 295

3. Raiden (Atari Jaguar) - 286

4. Metal Head (Sega 32X) - 184

5. The Big Deal (C64) - 111

6. Pac-Land (Arcade) - 88

7. Legend of Wukong (Genesis) - 85

8. Super Cobra (Atari 5200) - 65

9. Tron: Maze-A-Tron (Intellivision) - 45

9. Wizardry (Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord) (Apple II) - 45

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 1079

2. Dig Dug (Arcade) - 295

3. The Big Deal (C64) - 111

4. Pac-Land (Arcade) - 88

5. Super Cobra (Atari 5200) - 65

6. Tron: Maze-A-Tron (Intellivision) - 45

6. Wizardry (Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord) (Apple II) - 45

8. Commando (Intellivision) - 39

9. Karateka (Atari 7800) - 38

10. Choplifter (Atari 7800) - 20

10. Omega Race (ColecoVision) - 20

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1079)

2. Arcade (383)

3. Atari Jaguar (306)

4. Sega 32X (184)

5. Atari Lynx (140)

6. Intellivision (121)

7. C64 (111)

8. Atari 7800 (86)

9. Genesis (85)

10. ColecoVision (65)

10. Atari 5200 (65)

Kaboom holds on to the top spot, and by what a margin! It thereby earns the top spot for the VCS as well.

Notably, Atari consoles took half of the spots on the system charts this week. Nice to see the Apple II pop its head in, too.

• Like 1

Monday

Atari 2600

Berzerk - 120

Last Week I know it doesn't count

Arcade!

Berzerk (Finally got my first Berzerk Cabinet) - 820 minutes

Yeah I'm a Berzerk nut

Wow, that's impressive! Congrats on the acquisition.

BTW your Berzerk time from last week will count, but it'll go towards this week (Week 4). You probably knew that already, but just wanted to be clear. :)

• Like 1

My times for Monday - Thursday:

Game Boy:

Qbillion - 372 min.

Genesis:

Tanks 2011 - 3 min.

Beat the first 30 levels of the GB puzzler Qbillion. Most of the puzzles were easy, but a few were fairly challenging, and one of them (#27) an absolute brainbuster that took me over three hours to solve. I'm really missing Catrap's unlimited rewind feature, though at least Qbillion has one level of undo. I don't know if I'm up for 120 levels of this, though at least the game lends itself to playing while watching TV or commuting home from work (in the passenger seat, that is!).

BTW speaking of Catrap, I found out that the manual has passwords (really level-editor construction codes) for three additional puzzles that can't otherwise be reached in the game. I still hold that I've beaten the game by completing the 100 included levels, but I guess I'll give the three extras a whirl at some point.