IGNORED

Getting Harmony to work with UK PAL TV

SLAYAR

Guys!

My harmony cartridge arrived just before Xmas, I tried it and it instantly didnt work. After reading the manual and trawling the forum posts I decided that it might be set up in NTSC mode. So after getting the harmony cartridge software installed on my PC I duly copied the latest versions of eeloader_104e_PAL50.bin + hbios_105_PAL50.bin onto the the SD card. The version of Harmony I have is the Deluxe version so the SD card works and it's been properly formatted. When I switch the 2600 (an old six switcher version) I get the harmony logo rotating a couple of times and then I bombs into a screen of vertical lines, the 2600 makes a beeping noise and then simply freezes? The harmony cartridge recognises that the bios has been updated and I always copy the hbios file into the root directory of the SD card. I have cleaned the SD card, the harmony cartridge and the edge connector of the 2600, the 2600 is vanilla, it has no modifications of any description and uses a standard 2600 joystick and powerpack. How the heck do I get this thing to work??

Slayar.

The eeloader_104e_PAL50.bin file needs to be flashed directly onto the Harmony cart using the Harmony programming tool, not copied onto the SD card.

If it still doesn't work, can you try the PAL60 version and see if that works instead? The NTSC version will work with most UK TV sets, but the picture will normally be in black&white and the screen may roll.

If you still have problems, can you post the exact steps that you are using to update the BIOS.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks for your kind response. I've spoken to Fred and I think he'll be sending me a replacement. I have tried all the steps you mention and still nothing :? ;)

It could be that the 2600 power supply can't supply enough voltage for the Harmony cart, but it sounds more like a faulty EEPROM in the Harmony.

If the new cart doesn't fix it, then I'll be happy to take a look at the cart (I am one of the Harmony designers and based in the UK).

Chris