IGNORED

SIO2Arduino

Farb

There's actually very simple composite output library - it's called TVout, it's not really something impressive with color and hires graphics, but it's made out of 2 resistors :)

That actually looks like it would be perfect for a disk selection overlay! If I'm reading it right, it requires one chip and two resistors.

I'd be willing to try and get some basic functionality working with that library but haven't the slightest clue how you would actually overlay it on the Atari's video signal.

Edited by Farb

I haven't used it for few months, but if I remember correctly then it was really just resistors connected to pins 11,7 and 9? There is also simple sound generator included in the library.

About overlay, I have no clue too - hope somebody here knows.

That's cool but quite expensive. I'm not sure I see an advantage to that over a $14 LCD display.

Agreed.

On a separate note, I couldn't find explicitly where all the libraries should reside. Is it under a single folder under Arduino Libraries? Which name should I use?

Thank you

There's actually very simple composite output library - it's called TVout, it's not really something impressive with color and hires graphics, but it's made out of 2 resistors :)

http://code.google.c.../arduino-tvout/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4q4Vv9d21g

That's interesting. I'd never seen video out of the arduino without another shield attached, so assumed it didn't do it. (you're not kidding with the color and resolution -- it makes a TRS-80 look luxurious.)

and there is a video overlay shield here: http://lowvoltagelab...ooverlayshield/

They're asking $60 for that! The thing about open hardware designs is that if you look around you can find something similar....

http://nootropicdesign.com/ve/

That one is $32.95. (or $24.95 for a kit if you know which end of the soldering iron to hold.)

They have another toy with video output -- http://nootropicdesign.com/hackvision/

A videogame with multiple input controller options. $43.95 assembled, or $33.95 as a kit.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I picked up one of those cheap LCD Keyboard shields, like this one, thinking I could just adjust the config.h file to the shield pinouts, and add the SD card and SIO on whatever pins remain.

But I notice in the config.h file, it mentions the SD Card pinouts on the Arduino can't be changed for now. Is that still true?

I may cut it out of the shield if there's no alternative. There's a design flaw on pin 10 of the shield anyway (link) that could eventually harm the Arduino or the shield, so it's either diode or dremel. That project is underway on the Uno.

On the Duemilanove, SIO2MicroSD is running smoothly, but it's a mess of wires right now. Might give me a good excuse to improve my sadly lacking Eagle PCB skills. :)

Edited by eeun

Feel free to grab one from my web site and make a board, if you like. I do have the one sided version on there that you can make at home with a laser printed image and an iron. :) As long as you use the MicroSD board from Gravitech, it is an easy build.

Eagle was a pain to learn, but pretty fun to play with, once you get the hang of it. I have about 40 versions sio2microsd. Great tool.

I'm trying to build the sd2arduino and it's working if I use the reset button and no LCD but for some reason if I switch config.h to the select button with LCD I get an SD init error. Any idea what might be causing that? I get the error with the same SD card that works perfectly with config.h set for reset button and no LCD..

I tried building an sio2microusb and I'm hitting a wall there too. All I get is a row of dark boxes on the LCD..

Any suggestions for either of these issues are greatly appreciated.

I'm using an arduino mega 2560. I've tried both the arduino Ethernet shield with sio2arduino and the adafruit SD breakout board with sio2microusb. Help please!!

It must've been a wiring issue cause I rewired everything and sio2arduino is working now with the LCD. I tested mindshadow with disk swapping and it worked perfectly woohoo!!

Nice, glad you got it working!

One thing I had noticed in the past: when the programming USB cable was hooked up between the Arduino and the PC, an SD init error would occasionally occur.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I finally got to start this project.

Some questions. I have a whole bunch of .ATR files in the card, but SIO2Arduino refuses to list them all.

Acually, I can simply rename a file and it will no longer be listed. Q1: Any ideas why?

I am using an LCD shield which forced me to change several pins of both the LCD and the SD in config.h but besides what I've stated, it all seems to work.

Is there a way to use two buttons to scroll the files? (One to advance one file, the other one to go back to the previous one listed) in order to make the navigation easier?

Hi RodCastler,

How many files do you have in a single directory on the card? Can you try breaking them up into multiple directories?

There is no code in there currently to add a second button. Fortunately, the source code is freely available and I welcome submissions :-) Otherwise, I'll consider adding it when I pick up working on the project again.

How many files do you have in a single directory on the card? Can you try breaking them up into multiple directories?

There must be 140 ATR files or so. I'll delete some and see if it fixes it.

Your website Usage section states that LCD does not allow subdirectory navigation, which made me think all of the subdirectory code I found was for another scenario...

I spent a few hours yesterday digging the SDfat libraries searching for a way to browse backwards and add the two-button option... No luck.

This is such a great project. I'd love to see it further developed.

Edited by RodCastler