IGNORED

SIO2Arduino

Farb

Ah, I misunderstood your problem. The problem would not be with SdFat if you can browse images on the LCD display.

The SDRIVE support is pretty incomplete as there was little documentation at the time I wrote it. I don't know if that situation has changed. It's highly likely you've run into a bug.

If you want to somehow send me the contents of your SD card I can try to reproduce the problem but I won't be able to get to this for a few weeks as I won't have access to my Atari.

I also tried the code on Arduino Nano - still same problem. It's a pity because i wanted to put arduino (without lcd) inside my 65xe. I saw few youtube videos where SDRIVE works flawlessly. Maybe my SD card adapter is the source of problems? It's the only thing different from configurations shown on youtube.

If the Sdrive is the only thing not working, it probably would be software. I had to fiddle around with my SDrive code quite a bit to get it right. If you don't have a problem wiring it up, you could always program one of your Arduinos with my software while you wait for Farb. It might help you determine if it is hardware or software.

If the Sdrive is the only thing not working, it probably would be software. I had to fiddle around with my SDrive code quite a bit to get it right. If you don't have a problem wiring it up, you could always program one of your Arduinos with my software while you wait for Farb. It might help you determine if it is hardware or software.

Is your SIO2MicroSD v1.1-hex fully compatible with Arduino Uno/Nano?

Is your SIO2MicroSD v1.1-hex fully compatible with Arduino Uno/Nano?

I would think it would work with the Uno, but I am not sure if anyone as tried. I always recommend you download the version I compiled it on and upload it to your board with the command-line utilities. Feel free to email me, visit my page, or post on my thread. To be respectful, I don't want to hijack this thread.

This is a pretty naive question but can this project be adapted to use the USBFAT libraries instead of the SDFat libraries? If so, is a USB host shield required or can the onboard USB interfaces of some Arduino boards be used instead?

It would be great if there was a DIY option to build an A8 interface to thumb drives, media readers and USB enclosures.

-SteveS

This is a pretty naive question but can this project be adapted to use the USBFAT libraries instead of the SDFat libraries? If so, is a USB host shield required or can the onboard USB interfaces of some Arduino boards be used instead?

It would be great if there was a DIY option to build an A8 interface to thumb drives, media readers and USB enclosures.

-SteveS

Not a naive question at all :-)

I'm assuming you're referring to this library:

https://github.com/greiman/UsbFat

I'd have to look at it more deeply but it should be possible. Do you have any experience with the library? The fact that it's a "preview" and only been tested with one host shield makes me wonder if it's mature enough to make the effort worth it?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm starting on this project, sometime after tomorrow. I lost my 8-bit (1200XL) in a move 20+ years ago. I used to know how to program it fairly well (I'm a Python guy now though). Anyways tomorrow I get a bad-assed Atari 400 with no peripherals, LOL.

SIO2Arduino will be the first step! (I dabble in Arduino, but have no use case before this.. I'm more interested in the electronics and coding than having a full 64K system at the moment, but I'll be looking to upgrade...)

I'll start going through the site and threads here, reading in more detail...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

OK so I have all the parts and have hit a roadblock wiring up the LC display. It says to wire "LCD RD pin" to Arduino digital pin 4.

My Adafruit LCD does not have a "RD" pin. This is the LCD I have:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/181

It has 16 pins.

I assume this should substitute.

Is the "RD" line a something specific to the RGB LCD? If yes, what wiring changes are needed for me to use the boring monochrome model I have?

I could find only 1 Google page discussing the "RD" pin, and the information wasn't described well enough for me to take an answer from it.

I've never used an RGB LCD so I can't really say how those would differ.

SIO2Arduino uses the LiquidCrystal library to talk to the LCD and that library supports HD44780 chipsets. The Adafruit display you linked to appears to use that chipset so it should work.

They have a tutorial for wiring the display here:

https://learn.adafruit.com/character-lcds/wiring-a-character-lcd

They refer to the pin as "RS" instead of "RD" but they appear to serve the same function so I think you can use that.

I've never used an RGB LCD so I can't really say how those would differ.

SIO2Arduino uses the LiquidCrystal library to talk to the LCD and that library supports HD44780 chipsets. The Adafruit display you linked to appears to use that chipset so it should work.

They have a tutorial for wiring the display here:

https://learn.adafruit.com/character-lcds/wiring-a-character-lcd

They refer to the pin as "RS" instead of "RD" but they appear to serve the same function so I think you can use that.

That helps! And I found a TINY error, or just wording issue, in your SIO2Arduino page:

http://whizzosoftware.com/sio2arduino/

This text: "If you want to use an LCD display (like this one), " where "this one" links to said RGB display, which you've never used :-)

Given my problem, I concluded I needed the RGB model and ordered it (no worries, I have a spare now).

It's maybe worth noting the code currently does not take advantage of RGB setting, and the monochrome model is sufficient..

Anyways, thanks for clearing it up:"RS" = "RD"

I'm going to first get it working, then study the code... then try to customize it (maybe take advantage of controlling the RGB backlight during I/O or something).

Lastly - thanks so much for the project, and also for properly open sourcing it and hosting on GitHub.

Edited by scottinNH

... The project is in a resting state until I...

I've only ever heard of one other person attempting to build SIO2Arduino and he never let me know if he was successful. If you get yours working, please let me know!

I'm quiet busy with our main event at the moment.(Classic-Computing 2016) But I've also

"collected" all the parts needed, for the time after. I'm glad, my boss supports me in

thinkering around with micro controllers.

I really doubt if I'm a big help in emulating an

850, but it does not keep me away from playing 'round ;-)

Stefan

This text: "If you want to use an LCD display (like this one), " where "this one" links to said RGB display, which you've never used :-)

Given my problem, I concluded I needed the RGB model and ordered it (no worries, I have a spare now).

It's maybe worth noting the code currently does not take advantage of RGB setting, and the monochrome model is sufficient..

Ah, I thought you were referring to an RGB (i.e. color) LCD display. Yes, the one I link to is a monochrome display with an RGB backlight. I think at the time I ordered it was the only one they had in stock.

If you can confirm that it's working with the non-color-backlight model, I'd be happy to link to the one you used. I'm just hesitant to suggest anything that hasn't been tested explicitly. There's technically no reason it shouldn't work, but you never know :-P

• 11 months later...

I have built 2 SIO2Arduinos lately, just wanted to give some feedback:

1st try was using an Arduino Leonardo with an ethernet shield. Reason for using a Leonardo was so that I could use the debugging output. Initially had a problem with the SDFat library and the Arduino IDE versions not playing nicely, this was fixed by using an older sdfat lib which is mentioned int he github issues section somewhere. Had to make some small changes to the source code to get it working on Leonardo. This version worked, but was quite flaky, less so after I realised that most software won't run on my 16k 600XL (PAL), and I modded it thereafter to 64k.

2nd try was using an Arduino Uno R3 and a "data logger" shield, also with the older sdfat lib. This works great using SDRIVE as a UI for selecting boot images. No buttons or LCD display for now (I just reset the Arduino if I want to get back to SDRIVE image).

I have noticed that while most of the software (ATR) that I have tested runs fine, a lot of disk images do not run, or crash. Not sure if due to needing more than 64k, or disk protection, or NTSC/PAL issues, or my flaky SIO wiring, or something the SIO2Arduino doesn't support.

For me, making the SIO2Arduino was the quickest/easiest way of getting a disk drive for my 600XL. But the SIO2SD (lotharek) looks pretty good, I'm very tempted to buy one.

post-4417-0-28410100-1486367288_thumb.jpg

post-4417-0-36429100-1486367305_thumb.jpg

Edited by jum

• 4 months later...

More feedback:

Lately I have built another SIO2Arduino using an Arduino Nano and MicroSD card breakout.

No code changes were required.

This version is powered by +5V SIO pin (pin 10), seems to work fine (mostly?). (Current draw is less than 20mA according to my USB inline power monitor).

However when you switch the Atari off and on to "hard reset" the computer, the Nano is also rebooted, and forgets which disk image is inserted (defaults back to SDRIVE disk).

I am thinking about overcoming this issue by using the Nanos 1kB EEPROM to store the currently selected ATR(s), and adding the SIO2Arduino "reset" pushbutton to tell the Nano to switch back to the default SDRIVE ATR.

IMHO: It would be less strenuous to just have a status file on the SD card to remember the last .ATR used. Still it would need the ability to reset to a safe image just in case of course. It would be nice to chain configuration on the Atari too. Something like the Arduino feeds an ATR that disables BASIC and on completion of the first program switches to an ATR that needs BASIC disabled.

• Like 1