IGNORED

Pondering Selling my Jag Collection

MattP

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice. I have a fairly substantial Jaguar Collection that I have realized that I am probably never going to enjoy as much as I would like, and I am thinking of selling it, and I am wondering what would the the best way to go about doing it - piecemeal, a couple separate groups, the whole shebang as one package, etc.

First I guess I should describe the collection (off the top of my head, it's not right here):

Jaguar and Jaguar CD, both complete in boxes with all inserts, manuals, etc and boxes in very good condition.

ALL Games released for the Jag, Complete in Box or Shrinkwrapped, up until the time Atari stopped and Telegames took over, 50 or so titles I think

All initial era Jag CD games (6), complete in box, (though Primal Rage box has a crease... I think)

A Pair of Pro Controllers new in Box, Regular Controller (or 2?) in the box, all the different AV Cables,

Jag Link (shrinkwrapped?)

CatBox (complete)

Some promotional materials, misc Jag stuff, probably some other items I forgot.

The reason for letting it go - I'm just trying to simply and reclaim my life, after some serious life events and changes. I used to be a rather big vintage and console collector. To Illustrate, on the computing side, at one time I had 3 Exidy Sorcerers and 2 APF Imagination Machines among dozens of others, and every non Nintendo console pre-1990, about 35 or so separate collections total. Over the past 3 years I've been downsizing them, but I had designated 4 console collections to keep - 2600, 7800 and Jag being 3 of the 4, but looking at them, I'm never even bothering with the Jaguar stuff. To make it worse, I've make video games for a living (worked on a number of high profile modern titles), and have my own game related hobby projects. Just too much spreading this old man too thin, so I want to prune my 2600 collection, and get rid of the Jaguar collection as part of my streamlining.

Sadly I am way out of tune with the state of the marketplace in recent years - I have no idea what goes and what doesn't. So .. if you were me.. what would you do? All in one big lot? Piecemeal? Something in between? I'm not looking for maximum return, but rather a fair return but minimizing hassle.

Thanks to all,

-Matt

I'm not looking for maximum return, but rather a fair return but minimizing hassle.

If it were me selling & I wasn't too bothered about getting the maximum return, I'd get rid of all the hardware separately (the cat box, jag cd & even the jag itself are all worth a decent bit) & bundle up the games together and sell as a complete set or batches and bundle all the promo stuff together. That's probably a good way to keep it simple & also not give it away by selling all as one big lot - selling that stuff individually would be a real chore & eat too much time.

I did this kind of thing when I got rid of huge parts of my collection over the past few years, it was still hassle, but nowhere near as much as it would have been selling everything individually - leave that for some reseller to have fun with :)

• Like 2

Piece it out. Maybe sell the Jag by itself with some common games, sell the CD by itself, sell the Catbox by itself. If you have any Telegames releases, sell each of them by themselves. Sell some of the less common Atari-published Jag games by themselves too, like Atari Karts. Pro Controllers should go individually as well. The rest of the stuff that's not uncommon, you could try one large lot?

*edit: sh3-rg beat me to it

Edited by Austin
  • Like 2

I agree with what the others said. There may be some items though that are difficult to shift (so will waste space whilst your trying to sell) or may only make a tiny amount , but you'll probably make up for it money wise with some of the other bigger ticket items.

When / where are you planning to sell? I'm interested in a few items you've mentioned to help round out my collection. ;)

If we're listing what we'd like, I'm likely after the Catbox, an RGB SCART cable (if you have one) and one pro-controller. Quite likely a few games to round out the collection too. Maybe, very maybe, a CD too. If you want, PM me with a list of games and what you want for the various items and we can go from there (no ebay fees, yay!).

I'd use paypal for transactions, so it's all secure. As I'm new here, I can provide examples of transactions I've done online with other forums with links that vouch for my reliability.

Edited by skip

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I've got a much better feel for what I should do with the Jag Stuff now.

I think I am going to go ahead and break it all up into about 8-10 lots or so, and put them on eBay.

It will probably be 2 weeks before I get my Jaguar Collection listed. In front of it is an Intellivsion Set and about 8 boxes of Colecovision Stuff to list that is literally blocking the way the closet where the Jaguar Collection is stored (I'm living in a much smaller place now than when I was collecting), not to mention a CIB modern console dev kit, and a car to sell.

A couple people have asked me about buying specific items directly. When I've done that in the past I've had people get upset at me over selling something to someone else, or the price, etc and that can be uncomfortable and stressful (which I don't need more of). So please don't take any offense as my just going ahead and using eBay, as it's the fairest and allows time for everyone to say yay or nay. I always set my starting prices very low and just let it play out rather than get stuck on any wishing price or price I paid. If it's not against the rules, I'll post a notice here and some pictures of the whole collection when I get them up.

Thanks,

-Matt

If I could interject...

You probably won't get THAT much for the base console and some of the commons. I would suggest keeping the base console with a handful of fave games such as T2K, Super Burnout, Skunk board, whatever. You never know when someone will release a really great homebrew for the Jaguar, and then you'll be kicking yourself for not having a system to try it out on...

I appreciate the feedback, but I think I'm going to get rid of the base console and common games as well

For me, it really an issue about structuring the time remaining in my life. I'm in my mid 40's and have more games than I will (probably) ever find the time to play and enjoy. Combine that with obligations and commitments and other things I wish to do, and I have to make some arbitrary choices about what to keep and what not or if I am going to be happy just knowing I have all this stuff in storage somewhere, never to see the light of day. A couple times I thought about just filling up the dumpster, but I can't yet bring myself to do that. Others can get more out of these things than I can, and I will not lack for things to get enjoyment from (in fact, I should be able to get more out of what remains).

• Like 1

Please let me know when you are going to list them. Also PLEASE allow for gaps in the end time between auctions. It makes it difficult for us to bid on multiple items and WIN if all the auctions end in > 20 seconds of each other.

Please when creating the auctions set the start time at least 5 minutes apart or wait 5 min before submitting the next auction so that there is time to jump from your last auction to the next.

I do space out the auctions - I always include a bunch of actual photos (people who only put up a 'stock' photo annoy me) and text, and that takes a while.

I'll give a heads up post here when I begin, and probably some photos to go with it. I'm going to try and get the last Intellivision and Colecovision/Adam stuff up this weekend, followed by the Jag stuff.

• 8 months later...

You know you'll end up missing it and buy it all back again ;)

From what I've seen happen here, if I'm ever in the situation, I'd sell VIRTUALLY everything, but leave a skeleton of the collection- say one console and 2 or 3 of your favourite games that you ACTUALLY play...