IGNORED

opinion of Super Mario Sunshine

• 3 months later...

I began playing Sunshine this weekend, and so far have really been enjoying it! Mind you that I have not really played an awful lot in the way of Mario games. Well really I've never completed any Mario game, and probably haven't played more than a level of any single Mario game. But only based on the hour or so I put into a friends Super Mario 64 game a decade ago, this kind of reminds me of that game. Realizing that the whole water gun mechanic is completely different. But just the idea of entering worlds (what was it,pictures in 64 and here it's M symbols?) to get stars....seems similar to me. I'm sure that someone with more experience on both games would be able to recount the nuanced differences though.

And after just having finished Mass Effect 3, it's nice to be able to jump into Sunshine and just play through a single level relatively quickly, feel as if I've accomplished something since now I have another star, and then put the game down if need-be. Along with the 'kiddy' graphics which I'm really digging right now, probably because of the aforementioned ME3 and having played Alan Wake recently this is a nice departure (though Rayman Origins slotted between those 2 as well, so it's not as if I've just been playing games without any levity).

My 2 cents so far.

• Like 1

Sunshine is the toughest Mario Series game I've played, IMHO. Once you get past the frustrating parts, it is a pretty good game. I didn't care for the voices at all, I found them annoying.

Overall, it's a good game. I give it a B+, It's definitely a game you should pick up for your Gamecube/Wii.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to picking up a copy of Sunshine. I think that it is definitely the greatest departure from the series since SMB 2. The graphics are gorgeous; this was an early GC release! The gameplay is very frustrating, however. The controls are non-intuitive, as opposed to Galaxy which feels very natural. I die all the time. We'll see how things go...

Not a big fan. I finished it only because I happened to have a guide in a magazine that got me through. Didn't like the mechanics, the premise, the characters, the cameras, the level design. It's kind of silly, but what really bugged me is that the whole point is that you're supposed to be getting these shines to save the village, so then you go on all these missions to collect shines - from the villagers. It seems weird.

It just seemed slopped together, like a generic platformer with Mario branding. Obviously that's not what it was, but it felt like it. I actually started replaying it last year when my niece and nephew visited and my prior impressions were confirmed. Didn't like it then, don't like it now. Graphics are gorgeous, though.

Edited by BydoEmpire

Ok, I'm still digging the game. And my two little girls absolutely love the game. That's a big plus for me right now....finding a game that I can actually play in front of them instead of having to wait until they're in bed.

I will say this however: I've hit on a couple of levels that were, indeed, quite frustrating. This one had these square shaped logs floating in space....wow it took me a long time to traverse those to get to the shine sprite!

2nd, I hate the under water mechanics (once you are able to venture into deep water). They are horrible. I know that most underwater levels in any game get a pretty bad rap. But I just tried the Nooki Bay level against the sea monster....OMG. I've only died once so are trying to clean his damn cavities, but I can tell that I'm going to die a lot more before I complete the level. And I think that's only level 4 of Nooki Bay....don't you have to get at least 7 shines in each world in order to complete the game???

That having been said, I am still enjoying it. But definitely some points of frustration entering into the mix.

IIRC, you don't have to get 7 shines in each world. So, you can skip many fases and still finish the game.

But personally, I liked the game, it was one of the first games I played for that genaration and I was shocked, at that time, with the graphycs, especially with the water effects of the new games... GC was much more polished than N64, I was amazed with the evolution from SNES - N64 - GC.

I loved the mindless wandering in Sunshine, the game shows you where you're supposed to go anyways. The sheer size if levels, plus the Water gun nozzles (Turbo and Rocket) and Yoshis add a lot to do in just one level. The game has a really high difficulty curve though, and there are a few areas you wouldn't figure out how to get to on your own. For one you're supposed to stare at the sun. The huge difficulty curve later on kept me from ever beating the game, or even getting to any other parts of the hotel level. But that was a while back, maybe I could beat it if I wasn't a 100% completionist.

Hi guys,

IMO, Super Mario Sunshine was a pretty damn good game! Probably the most underrated of all Mario series games! Its not an easy game, but the graphics still look wonderful and replay value is a definite!

Sad it didn't get the attention it deserved (just like the Gamecube) and should have a sequel.

Still a great game and a hell of a lot better then the Mario Galaxy series (which was good no doubt).

Anthony....

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
And yes, it introduced that obnoxious little twerp Bowser Jr. -- think Jar-Jar Binks minus the charm and charisma -- to the Mario canon.

Yeah I have to admit that I found Bowser Jr. extremely annoying.

However I didn't mind the blue coins.

Sunshine included some well-meaning attempts to bring classic Mario elements into the 3D, including Yoshi and Ghosts Houses, but they didn't feel quite click.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

However I do consider the game enjoyable.. although the difficulty can be a little uneven in parts.

I've managed to complete all the levels I've played so far except for the rollercoaster one where you shoot rockets at the balloons..

I bought the GameCube for this game and GBA support. What a disappointment. Bad controls and too touchy platform action.

That is my other complaint and it seems more apparent on the challenge levels where you cant use your FLUDD. It's almost like Mario has slick shoes or something. :lol: The only conclusion I could come to based on observation is it seems they try to "overcompensate" FOR the player when doing certain things and as a result I ended up being killed.

By far the BIGGEST issue was when running toward a ledge to jump my character would inexplicably fall to his death when I know I had plenty of room before I had to jump. It's like he would just slide right off the edge.

Outside of that it is a pretty fun game. I think like the review in the earlier posted link said the game was just lacking a certain amount of focus, polish, and "connection" to the earlier Mario series. And it made a good point about having to get the shines from the actual people who said the shines went missing? :lol: Plus the difficulty balance is a bit odd in places.

And yes, it introduced that obnoxious little twerp Bowser Jr. -- think Jar-Jar Binks minus the charm and charisma -- to the Mario canon.

...I guess they never played Yoshi's Island, then...

It's weird to read this article, it doesn't sound at all like the Sunshine I know. I've not heard many people badtalk the game, and all of his criticisms sound like something he just made up.

Maybe I just don't get out much.

Completely different kind of Mario game. Still, from what I saw (was watching my wife have fun with it) is a Platformer of sorts with a focus on Painting the Environment. Gorgeous engine, solid sound and music (albeit on the kids side of things).

Overall, a goofy, not to be taken seriously, game.

As a Mario Fan, I consider it a borderline must have.

Probably the most underrated of all Mario series games!

That would be SMB2, not Sunshine.

I bought the GameCube for this game and GBA support. What a disappointment. Bad controls and too touchy platform action.

I bought my GCN for Luigi's Mansion and was not disappointed.

Eh? Bowser Jr isn't baby Bowser. How would Bowser father himself? Mario's Time Machine?

I have no idea, but they did it with Baby Mario and Luigi too (though I think they explained that in one of the DS RPGs, didn't they?)

I bought my GCN for Luigi's Mansion and was not disappointed.

I wanted one for Metroid Prime B)