IGNORED

My list of "playable",for non japanese speakers,Wonderswan games

hunged13

it's not anything great,just a quick list that i made some time ago to help me with the wonderswan collecting.

but first some comments

-it's based on no more than 5-min sessions of all available roms/games so minor or major mistakes are to be expected :(

-most of the games have japanese menus

-also included games that are playable to a point (action-rpgs,action-adventures etc)

-some games have additional notes in parenthesis

-in this list you won't find all of the mahjong games,i have included 2 out of 5-6 that were released

without further ado...

my list ;-)

Armored Unit (a lot of menu trial and error)

Beat Mania

Blue Wing Blitz (you should read a walkthrough for the general premise,the controls and the objectives)

Buffers Evolution

Chocobo no Fushigi na Dungeon (not 100% playable,some japanese knowledge is needed)

Crazy Climber

Densha de go! /2 (only if you know the general premise,menu trial and error)

Dicing Knight

Digimon Digital Monsters - Anode & Cathode Tamer - Veedramon Version

Digimon Digital Monsters ver wonderswan

Digimon Digital Monsters: Battle Spirit /1.5

Digimon Frontiers Battle spirit

D's Garage 21 Koubo Game - Tane wo Maku Tori

Engacho!

Final Fantasy I/II/IV (try them only if you have played them before)

Final Lap 2000

Final Lap Special

Fire Pro Wrestling

Flash - Koibito Kun (it's playable in the beginning but i don't know if you need,or not,to know japanese later )

From TV Animation - One Piece - Chopper no Daibouken (you have to know what the items do and what can you do from the pause menu)

From TV Animation - One Piece -Treasure wars /2 (playable to a point if you can find the instructions translated by someone)

Front Mission (playable quite a lot as the commands are in english)

Ganso Jajamaru Kun

Golden Axe

Gomoku Narabe & Reversi Touryuumon (menu trial and error)

Gransta Chronicle (english pase menu that might help a little but in general not too playable)

Guilty Gear Petit

Guilty Gear Petit 2

GunPey

GunPey Ex

Judgement Silversword - Rebirth Edition

Kaze no Klonoa - Moonlight Museum

Kidou Senshi Gundam Seed

Kidou Senshi Gundam Vol.3 -A BAOA QU- (not too sure if it's playable)

Kidou Senshi Gundam Vol.1 -Side 7- (not too sure if it's playable)

Kidou Senshi Gundam - Volume 2 - JABURO- (not too sure if it's playable)

Kinniku Man Second Generations Dream Tag Match

Kurupara! (playable quite a lot)

Lode Runner

Magical Drop

Mahjong Touryuumon (not too sure if it's playable)

Makaimura

Mingle Magnet

Moero !! Pro Yakyu Rookies (playable quite a lot)

Mr. Driller

(golf) Nice On

One Piece - Grand Battle Swan Colloseum

Pocket Fighter(s?)

Pro Mahjong Kiwame (not too sure if it's playable)

Puyo Puyo Tsu

Puzzle Bobble

Rainbow Islands - Putty's Party

Raku Jongg (trial and error in menus and in some in-game choices)

Rhyme Rider Kerorikan

Rockman & Forte - Mirai Kara no Chousen Sha

Rockman EXE WS (menu trial and error)

RUN=DIM Return to Earth

SD Gundam - Operation U.C.

Sennou Millenium

Shanghai Pocket

Shin Nihon Pro Wrestling Toukon Retsuden

Side Pocket

Soccer Yarou! - Challenge the World (menu trial and error)

Space Invaders

Tare Pan no Gunpei(y?) (menu trial and error)

Tekken Card Challenge (if you know what to do,how to play it)

Tetris

Ultraman - Hikari no Kuni no Shisha

Umizuri Ni Ikou (ίσως)

Wasabi Produce - Street Dancer

Wizardry - Scenario 1 - Kyounou no Shiren Jou (try it only if you have played another version of the game)

Wonder Classic

Wonder Stadium /'99 (menu trial and error)

XI [sai] Little

if you find any omission or have something to add/comment write it freely ;-) :D

Edited by hunged13

This is the most complete list that I have seen on the net. I have a lot of those games. Love the little portable. It is worth having just for One Piece - Grand Battle Swan Colloseum! Like the fighters on this portable.

one piece-gbsc is great indeed ! quite good also are the two digimon battle spirit games ...too bad that the main attractions of the unit,the rpgs,are essentially unplayable :(

one piece-gbsc is great indeed ! quite good also are the two digimon battle spirit games ...too bad that the main attractions of the unit,the rpgs,are essentially unplayable :(

I agree about those RPGs. I wished that they had been translated into English, or at least had the in-game option. I did play one of the FF games one time by simultaneously playing the same game that was ported to GBA.

• Like 1

I agree about those RPGs. I wished that they had been translated into English, or at least had the in-game option. I did play one of the FF games one time by simultaneously playing the same game that was ported to GBA.

i think that translated roms for two games exist (unlimited saga and one that i don't remember right now) but it's nothing compared to the number of rpgs that were released...

I have Golden Axe and Gunpey Ex on the system (as well as Final Fantasy I, which I barely touched)... Gunpey is a very cool little puzzle game. The one Wonderswan game I wish I had is Tetris. I tried to bid on one a few times on Ebay but it never worked out.

I also have Rockman & Forte and Makaimura, but the B&W games give me a headache. I'm glad there are many other games that a non-Japanese player can enjoy. I'll have to check some of these out. Thanks!

• 8 months later...

Great list (best one i've found as well) for a really underrated handheld.

i traded a NGPC--DC link cable for a SwanCrystal & games but never really got around to exploring the WS library until I picked up a regular ole b&w WonderSwan. I'd read around that the Cystal was better and the WS wasn't nearly as good as the Crytsal because of ghosting & whatnot, but.... i kinda like the b&w WS better, i think because of the contrast dial. (Reminds me, I gotta get a WSC...)

So if you've never tried a WS and you want to but aren't sure if you should get an inexpensive WS or wait and save up to get a Crystal, the b&w WonderSwans are pretty sweet are worth getting now.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the list :)

$25 & under (shipped) is the going rate now. You can pick up a WS for $10-12 + $8 shipping from Japan on eBay (Buy It Now prices), tho you can snag one for cheaper if you keep your eye out for auctions. I lucked out a few months ago and got a nice b&w blue WS with One On (golf game) for $12 shipped from Canada.

40hrs on ONE AA battery??? I keep one in my car in case of a break down and I plan on getting another for my hurricane kit. Yeah, not knowing kanji (katana?) does limit your options but there are still quite a few great games you can play, and it's just a really cool lil handheld. (Maybe i should throw a Kanji for Beginners book in my hurricane kit as well...)

Edited by Smatchmo

• 6 months later...

Got my Wonderswan Color (that I had front light modded by http://rosecoloredgaming.wordpress.com/) last week and can't put it down! Been playing Final Fantasy I (played it on so many times on nes/gba that I barely notice its JP). Heres a tip for collecting the games check http://global.rakuten.com/en/ also got a ton of famicom games from here for good prices. The only down side is the lack of a headphone jack. There are adapters for it but they are 2 to 3 times the cost of the wonderswan itself lol. To our electronic talented members of AA maybe someone can take a crack at making some cause anyone who owns a wonderswan would want one =D

• Like 1