IGNORED

Ninja Gaiden 3: Nes Vs. Lynx

edsongodoy

Hi. As luck would have it, I recently obtained BOTH versions. They are very close in terms of gameplay, and the level designs are virtually identical. The main difference is the final stage. The NES version has this tough section of "breaking blocks" before the final boss encounter. In the Lynx version the blocks don't break when you stand on them (which makes it easier to dodge the swooping flyers on the Lynx version). There is also a small section (level 5 I think) where again the blocks don't crumble in the Lynx version. Both versions offer 5 continues. And they both have cool cinemas. The Lynx version has much more in common with the harder U.S. NES version than the Japanese import (which is easier much like the Japanese version of Contra Hard Corpse for Genesis).

All in all, I think the Lynx version can stand up to the NES cousin nicely. The music is probably the low point, however, and sounds a bit muffled, tinny, or spacey. As with other Lynx games, it can look blocky or pixelated if you hold the screen too close to your eyes. The problem goes away if you increase the viewing distance. Settling for a lower resolution was the price Atari chose to pay for having such a massive large screen.

I have beaten both versions, and I am happy with both of them! The final form of the final boss is awesome. It engulfs the screen.

Darrin

I just wish the Lynx version retained the parallax scrolling of the NES (especially level 2-1). The Lynx is more than capable of multi-layered scrolling (Shadow of the Beast and Rygar for example). Ninja Gaiden 3 for the Lynx is cool for another reason though.......it is one of the few 4-meg lynx games :)

2d gamer

I always wondered WHY this game was ported to the Lynx. Was this one and not the (IMHO) superior NG 1 or 2? I love the NG series, but 3 was the weakest of the original triliogy (although still a good game). Did they really think it would convert well to a handheld system?

That's debatable. Some prefer the third over the others (I don't understand it, but I digress). Part 1 would have been a moot point and made things confusing considering a port of the arcade game was already available.

To be honest, I think part 3 works fine on the Lynx. Probably even better than part II would have, as the gameplay is more floaty and can be more forgiving than the others.

• 3 years later...

That's debatable. Some prefer the third over the others (I don't understand it, but I digress). Part 1 would have been a moot point and made things confusing considering a port of the arcade game was already available.

To be honest, I think part 3 works fine on the Lynx. Probably even better than part II would have, as the gameplay is more floaty and can be more forgiving than the others.

i like the lynx version of it too,however it's sad that the paralax scrolling,just like in the snes version, in some stages are just gone,wich is an absolute shame since both consoles are designed and capable of doing that,also those ct scenes and the game is a bit zoomed in and downscaled,also the colors seems to be a litle bit reduced but not sure??!!,the biggest dissappointing thing that kills it is the music & sound effects,am mwan common,were those music composers drunken or something??? not only does it sounds falsche but it's also hard to make out wich melody it is,also the sounds effects are falsche,they sound terrible,likely,you can just switch off the music,despites these flaws, it's still an amezing port concidering the systems limitations,now i want to buy this game BUT it's $ 34 dollars wich is just too expensive,may if i gonne spare money to buy it later some time.

The NES version is the better of the two, in my opinion. That being said, the Lynx isn't a bad port at all, and for a portable version of a home console game, it's actually very well done. It's more difficult to make out what things on screen are, due to the smaller screen plus the lower resolution and all. However, the game is still a faithful recreation of the NES game, and just about all the elements are there. The gameplay itself translates quite nicely, so if you're used to playing this game on one console, the experience helps tremendously on the other. So it boils down to whether you want the game on a home console or the handheld. Either way, you're going to have a good (albeit very frustrating) time. Ninja Gaiden III is, hands-down, one of the most difficult games I've ever played.

Edited by rockman_x_2002

• 1 month later...

I like the lynx version far what it is,but why the fuck are B & A buttons reversed fot hit & jump, that doesn't play confortible atall,,also it's sad that the paralax scrolling,just like in the snes version, in some stages are just MISSING,wich is an absolute shame since both consoles are designed and capable of doing that,now those cut scenes and the game is just perfectly downscaled and the colors seems to be just allright,trough the biggest dissappointing thing is the music & sound effects,am mwan common,were those music composers drunken or something??? not only does it sounds falsche but it's also hard to make out wich melody it is,alltrough it still do adds some mood to the gameplay also the sounds effects are falsche,they sound terrible alltrough theres one voice into it but everytime when i got hit several times, i wich ryu will shut his mouth,haha,likely,you can just switch off the music,despites these flaws, it's still an amezing port concidering the systems limitations,now i got this game BUT it's € 34 dollars wich is just very expensive,.