IGNORED

Worst Box Art?

BillyHW

Anyway, here's another terrible SMS box.

Sms_pro_wrestling_box.jpg

This makes no sense. Why is this man wrestling his own head? :?

Actually that is what is so good about it. It makes the customer wonder "what's going on here?" Then they buy it and realize it's a pretty bad game but it's to late at that point.

• Like 1

But also like the awful NES blocky box art, Sega changed from the grid art to better cover art very quickly. Check out the cool European SMS covers.

I like how they kept the grid though for the Genesis. Switching from the white to black grid was a significant upgrade I think-

586022_51618_front.jpg

From some of the worst box art to some of the best. I was sad when Sega went away from the grid look.

• Like 1

Out of all the EGM I read as a youngster, and out of all of Seanbaby's "The Rest of the Crap" articles, the 'review' for this game was the most memorable. He wouldn't even review the game, simply due to the terrible boxart. In fact, here is a link to that article: http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/karnaajrally.htm for your entertainment.

post-27727-0-30475100-1326502986_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Anyway, here's another terrible SMS box.

Sms_pro_wrestling_box.jpg

This makes no sense. Why is this man wrestling his own head? :?

Actually that is what is so good about it. It makes the customer wonder "what's going on here?" Then they buy it and realize it's a pretty bad game but it's to late at that point.

That'll scar a kid for life.

What makes no sense? It's merely a game about the exploits of Zangief's father. Particularly his misguided attempts to breast feed himself in public. The children in school used to taunt Zangief about this without mercy, thus fueling the rage that enabled him to become one of the best fighters of all time.

• Like 1

1034378835-00.jpg

How about the cover to the SNES port of Street Fighter 2?

Those renditions of the characters look quite cheesy. In fact, that was a common criticism I heard from SF fans. Many didn't like the cheesy art used for localization and preferred the anime style art that was used for the Japanese promos. This was around the time that anime/manga started to go mainstream in the USA after all.

Why in the 8bit/16 bit era did they change the artwork and box style for American and European markets? Why?

The Japanese artwork is always way better.

I also never understood why we didn't get all those great Japanese RPGs...the excuse was always, 'These games won't be popular in the North American market."--Bull$hit!

Funny we should mention Japanese vs. North American/European box art. It may have been more of a matter in those days that anime/manga as a style was all but unknown here in the USA. Anyway, here's a comparison of superior Japanese cover art to its Western counterpart. Case in point - Phantasy Star 2 for the Sega Genesis.

_-Phantasy-Star-II-Sega-Megadrive-_.jpg

Get a load of what we got here in the West...

526675_93111_front.jpg

That girl with the horns looks absolutely nothing like Nei from the game. And that middle aged guy with the laser gun? Is that supposed to be Rolf, the hero of the game? Does that dude look anything like the fascimile in the Japanese art above?

• Like 1