IGNORED

Keyboard controls on Apple II Ms. Pac-man. How does she go up/down?

Yoder

It does it both on the emulator and hardware. I can't get her to go up or down...only left or right with the arrows. I googled for instructions with no luck, and see no options or instructions in the software....

I figured some of you must have played this :-) Any pointers?

This game uses LEFT/RIGHT arrows and A & Z keys. This is hardcoded in the game.

You will either need an emulator that can re-map keys or be stuck with those options.

You can try and find a keyboard remapper and use it while playing. OR try and find a hacked copy, but I'm not aware that any exist.

If you use applewin emu, then you can use the numeric keypad and joystick emulation option.

Games from this era sometimes didn't have configurable keys, it was still a luxury back then. And in order to successfully play these games, you need to think retro.

Edited by Keatah

Trust me, I tried all the keys several times! Not sure why those keys didn't register. Yes, I grew up in the 70s, so I think retro ;-) BTW, I just fixed that IIc...well, I got a board from another one and used my kbd, etc.. I'll post back in that thread when I have some more info. I may swap the socketed ICs just to rule those out for good.

Yeah, a lot of the Apple ][ stuff needs caps lock on. And up/down arrow keys aren't frequently used in older Apple ][ software, because the first ][s didn't have them (][ and ][+ had only left and right arrows; ][e and beyond had all four, but not in an upside-down T configuration, but a straight line! Not too convenient for playing games).

As far as the awkwardness of A-Z/left-right arrow....once your brain rewires itself it's not so bad. :) But yeah, I always appreciated the games that would let you map the keyboard as desired.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
On 1/15/2012 at 10:21 PM, The Usotsuki said:

It does support the stick, yes.

I can't seem to get it to recognize the joystick. I can use the keyboard commands but the apple II joystick i have isn't working, do i have enable the joystick somehow? Yes reviving this thread from 2012!! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 3:56 PM, Aunty Entity said:

Hit J for joystick? :)

If that's not working, make sure caps lock is on.

I'm just learning how to use an Apple IIe myself, and a stupid number of older programs won't accept lower-case versions of single-character responses.

Since the Apple ][ and ][+ didn't have Lower Case, from the Factory, nor a Caps Lock Key, none of the Older Games expected Lower Case Characters.. 

It's Harder to Program for things you don't have....

MarkO 

• Like 1