IGNORED

Would like info about using a US modded CV in The Netherlands

ColecoEric

Hello,

I'm very much interested in buying a cleaned and modded ColecoVision from Yurkie but I have a few questions that you all might be able to answer.

Yurkie mods an American system, and since you guys use NTSC instead of PAL which is used in The Netherlands, I would like to know if someone here knows whether the A/V mod works on PAL also?

I have a television that can't display NTSC so It would be a shame to buy one only to find that I can't use it.

Yurkie wrote that if I can connect composite, it will not matter. Can someone confirm that?

Maybe even the Dutch or German buyers of one of his modded systems?

Also, I read online that the power supply we use in Europe (220V instead of 110V) should work okay on the US ColecoVision.

The reasoning being that the output from the 'block' gives the same voltage and current, so that the only difference is the convertor itself.

Is this true? Or would I still have to purchase a convertor somewhere, or is an adapter for the different plug enough?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Eric

Well, I tried the RGB method for a few years ago, unfortunately without success.

Yet I know that Harvey aka 5-11under have made a very good solution with its video-out module.

And maybe Yurkie have modified at least 50 to 100 consoles, also with Video out in a good quality.

So your A/V mod works fine on PAL.

I have the French CBS version with Scart output (RGB Euro-connector or Peritel).

ColecoEric, you can safe use an U.S. ColecoVision console in Netherlands, but remember to use your European power supply.

All U.S. games works on PAL too. :)

@Ten-four:

Did you try the RGB method on your own French CBS version, the SECAM version?

That mod was not succesful you meant?

But you have just confirmed (if I read correctly) that the A/V mod that Yurkie does do in fact work on PAL televisions. That is what you wrote?

And also thanks for letting me know that the info I found before (with regards to the power supply) is correct.

The conversion of 220V vs 110V is in the block that sits between the power outlet and the Coleco then.

Now I only have to find out how much our Customs charges for 'importing' an ancient collectible console... ;)

Maybe the person from my country who ordered a modded CV from Yurkie (which he mentions in his reply) can tell me how thats usually handled.

Edited by ColecoEric

I own a tv that also doubles as a computer monitor and next to that I have 2 Sony's that are fairly recent models (the 'deep' ones mind you, not a flatscreen).

What is, if I may ask, your old television and what is the modern one?

And san-d-2000, since you bought a system from Yurkie too, did you have to pay a fee in Customs (de douane dus)?

Or didn't you have any problem getting it delivered by mail?

If you had to pay that fee, do you remember how much it was approximately?

@Ten-four:

Did you try the RGB method on your own French CBS version, the SECAM version?

That mod was not succesful you meant?

In a French CBS ColecoVision with Scart Out is the RGB built in, no problem.

But you have just confirmed (if I read correctly) that the A/V mod that Yurkie does do in fact work on PAL televisions. That is what you wrote?

Yes confirmed.

Yet I know that Harvey aka 5-11under have made a very good solution with its video-out module.

Just so you know, the component video mod "should" work in similar fashion for PAL as NTSC. However, the main PCBs are different, so some work would be required to figure out a good place to connect to, and to see if any parts should be removed. I've sold one or two to PAL-land, but haven't heard about any success or failure... .