IGNORED

Recommend me some good Japanese titles?

ComputerSpaceFan

I loved Gleylancer

I have to second Gleylancer! it's a great shooter, and one of my favorites overall on Genesis/Mega Drive!

another great game I enjoyed was Twinkle Tale... it plays similar to Pocky & Rocky, overhead walking/shooting style game...

another shooter, Slap Fight is also another solid game exclusive to the Japanese Mega Drive... it's an early shooter made by Toaplan (Truxton, Fire Shark, Twin Cobra). the Mega Drive port features the original arcade game as well as an enhanced Mega Drive mode!

Undead Line. A vertical shooter. Great in many ways. Plays on a US system.

Undead Line is a pretty good game, but it is EXTREAMLY difficult! just be forewarned! if you welcome a difficult, challenging game, Undead Line will please! I had not had a chance to really put time into it, I don't own this one - my friend has it, I know I would enjoy it more if I were able to put time in to learn the game...

Edited by Sonic R

Undead Line is a pretty good game, but it is EXTREAMLY difficult! just be forewarned! if you welcome a difficult, challenging game, Undead Line will please! I had not had a chance to really put time into it, I don't own this one - my friend has it, I know I would enjoy it more if I were able to put time in to learn the game...

It's tough in a Thunderforce or "thinking man's shooter" kind of way. Once you figure out the best way to play it and where to position yourself, you can plow through this game with ease. Getting to that point is the fun part. :evil:

It's tough in a Thunderforce or "thinking man's shooter" kind of way. Once you figure out the best way to play it and where to position yourself, you can plow through this game with ease. Getting to that point is the fun part. :evil:

I can't say Thunder Force games are really tough (IMO) but I can agree that Undead Line requires a level of memorization and learning to better play the game... I fully agree, learning the game by trial and error is indeed the fun part, and I find fun in the challenge! I need to borrow this from my friend (or just get it myself!) and really sink some time into mastering it!

Eliminate Down is another tough shooter... it's a fine game though, but the price can be rather restrictive! I sold mine a few years ago for a whopping $240! considering I only paid a fraction of that, and have a close friend whom I can borrow the game from, I couldn't refuse that offer!

So I have just discovered some awesome Genesis titles out of Japan like Panorama Cotton and Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan (or is that Chinese? pardon my ignorance).

Yep, Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan is Chinese.

My absolute favorite Japanese-only game is the exclusive version of Marble Madness made by Tengen, which is the very best port of that game I've ever seen. It's essentially arcade-perfect, and light-years better than the Electronic Arts port.

Otherwise, I've enjoyed Dangerous Seed, Curse (not a Grade-A shooter but still fun in its way and it should be cheap), Wani Wani World, and Golden Axe III. You'll need a Game Genie to play GAIII, BTW, as it has region lockout.

I was also intrigued by Pulseman, King Colossus, Undeadline and Twinkle Tale, but haven't played any of them enough to make a full evaluation. I believe all of those have been fan-translated and are available as repros, which might be worth it if you like to know what's actually going on in your games.

I can't say Thunder Force games are really tough (IMO) but I can agree that Undead Line requires a level of memorization and learning to better play the game...

I suppose I was thinking strictly of Thunder Force IV/Lightening Force when I said that. TFII is just, eh, well.. an early Genny I tend to forget about, and TFIII is ridiculously easy. Part IV on the other hand took a bit of time for me to master (which was for the better), and of course, that's just on normal mode. :)

I can't say Thunder Force games are really tough (IMO) but I can agree that Undead Line requires a level of memorization and learning to better play the game...

I suppose I was thinking strictly of Thunder Force IV/Lightening Force when I said that. TFII is just, eh, well.. an early Genny I tend to forget about, and TFIII is ridiculously easy. Part IV on the other hand took a bit of time for me to master (which was for the better), and of course, that's just on normal mode. :)

personally, I LOVE Thunder Force II… I understand I am in a VERY acute minority, but I actually like it over Lightening Force! :shock:

but I understand what you say, Lightening Force was the most difficult of the three titles on the Genesis... I definitely had a harder time with it where TFIII was quite easy (though I still love it and enjoy it to this day) and TFII was challenging, but also has a steep learning curve, as well as having to acquire a taste to even play the game! Lightening Force has play that does require alot of memorization, and upon figuring it out, the game does become more manageable..

• 2 weeks later...

I remember playing a wrestling game but it was females. I think it was called ringside angels. Used to like that game a lot. There was a distributor here locally who sold Japanese games so i managed to get that one.

Edited by AtariDude