IGNORED

Raspberry Pi Possibilities

bbking67

The RPI is at least no Atari 8 bit. So why is this thread still here in the forum?

Because first post has something to do with Atari ?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

I'm sure that lots of folks have been thinking about this, but I think it could be incredibly cool for Atari 8-bit and other retro enthusiasts.

If an interface was built to directly communicate with the raspberry Pi (or other really small computer), software could be developed or adapted to have an integrated peripheral emulator, IP bridge, etc.

Has this been considered?

How feasible is it to do this? Would the interface have to be USB or is there a batter way?

/bbking67

NooOOo! They are be computer replacements! Just need to bide our time until X is accelerated. In the zombie apocalypse power will go out. The Raspberri Pi can be battery powered pretty easily. I've got one or two mini projectors that can also be battery powered.

Man I love Zombies. And I understand where you're coming from. I'll be ready with my Pis! :)

The RPI is at least no Atari 8 bit. So why is this thread still here in the forum?

You hate them don't you Emkay? He he. I think if the thread were titled "Raspberry Pi Possibilities for A8" then all would be fine no?

You hate them don't you Emkay? He he. I think if the thread were titled "Raspberry Pi Possibilities for A8" then all would be fine no?

Why should I "hate them" ? It's just, next time I could open a thread "Windows 8 PC possibilities" .... because it can run "endless" instances of an A8 emulator. I wouldn't do that, because it's nuts.

Why should I "hate them" ?

I am just kidding in good fun. You don't seem to be a fan of the Pi -- it's obvious with your posts -- that's 'why'. Nothing wrong with that, I merely noticed it.

It's just, next time I could open a thread "Windows 8 PC possibilities" .... because it can run "endless" instances of an A8 emulator. I wouldn't do that, because it's nuts.

I'm not sure how that relates to discussing the RPi (hardware). There are many things the RPi can do with/for our Ataris. Exploring these possibilities is on topic as far as I can tell.

The Pi could be useful (as i stated above already) for schools, and assembling the computer from single parts in a lesson. But there is no serious reason to use it "as is" , except of some idealistic stuff and some experimental purposes.

The Pi is similar to an older PC. There are many serious reasons to use them, not just idealistic(?) and experimental stuff. Have you got an RPi? I think you'd like one. Besides, why do RPis need to be serious, non-idealistic and non-experimental anyways? Our Atari computers certainly don't need to pass those requirements for your appreciation.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i have a lot RPI now.

I use all with RISCOS, is the best system for the Pi and is fast. Belive me is Fast.

And on this i use some emus for different computer like Vice and some other for console like MegaDrive.

So at the end is the cheapest and easiest way to play old games.

For example look at: http://chameleon.enging.com

Br

Mobsie

That 35$ is a dream beyond all recognition . You get a super slow board with some -out of the place- Mobile Phone hardware, running hardly any modern OS.

Let's build a full working computer with it.... which means to add

-Power Supply

-Mouse

-Keyboard

-Boot Device

-Monitor

Until you have a working "Computer" on your Desktop. And then look at the price and what you get.

You finally get full working "Tablet"-devices with quadruple performaces for "100$" already.

3,50$ would fit better to that indigestible Raspberry Pie.

Agree but I've had a lot of bad luck with $100 tabets. I'd suggest buying used android phones from major makers... then at least they'll work right. Plus there are Atari 8 emulators for android...

• 11 months later...

I would love to have a pi running ape/aspeqt *like* software that uses its own keyboard & display as little as possible. It provides network & printer access, RTC, acts as a floppy/disk server and generally stays the hell out of the way.

Of course if AspeQt could do this, with some more polish (a puupy linux build would hurt my feelings either), an Acer netbook could be had for the same price as pi+goddies, & it could double as a nice AROS box.

I would love to have a pi running ape/aspeqt *like* software that uses its own keyboard & display as little as possible. It provides network & printer access, RTC, acts as a floppy/disk server and generally stays the hell out of the way.

Of course if AspeQt could do this, with some more polish (a puupy linux build would hurt my feelings either), an Acer netbook could be had for the same price as pi+goddies, & it could double as a nice AROS box.

This can and has been done. Here is an old thread on it. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/209010-sio2pi-raspberry-pi-as-a-floppy/?hl=%2Bsio2pi&do=findComment&comment=2777570 I was actually working on a pi for just this purpose for a a few weeks now.

Here are the parts I ordered for it.

Logic level converter.

7" lcd screen.

Remote control style keyboard and touch pad.

I must admit that since starting this project my original vision has evolved quite a bit. I've decided to not use the keyboard or the lcd screen I bought. I've spent the last week gutting an old teletype from the 80's and making an interface to use the teletype keyboard with my raspberry pi this was actually the hardest part (the teletype is obviously not usb). I now intend to use a 5" color crt and make my pi an all in 1 vintage computer emulation station that also has the ability to emulate drives for my Atari using aspqt. Changing the pi's function can be made as easy as swapping out an sd card. The teletype and crt are just effort to make it so my pi doesn't look out of place next to my real vintage computers.

I'm actually hoping to finish this project this weekend!

• Like 1

Aspeqt doesn't handle R:

or have a means to get the time from the network and emulate a RTC back to the Atari,

Or run on a version Linux that's suitable (small, lightweight, headless, always-on,etc) additional keyboards & displays are not acceptable.

I want a one time setup, not endless fiddling (I already have a linux box, nowhere near my Atari).

This and other reasons are why I would choose not to tie my Atari to a Windows boat anchor running APE.

Rpi=programmable Atari peripheral

Rpi OS = firmware, login to config, GUI not needed. CLI linux, Forth ... Don't care.

Rpi Ethernet port = Atari SIO port (need custom cable, R handler for WiFi)

As soon as the Pi is viewed as an embedded programmable peripheral and not cheap hacky low end PC, then good things can happen.

It shouldn't be viewed as writing an application like APE, but as prototyping a multifunction device, like Side2.

Edited by suspicious_milk
  • Like 2

Aspeqt doesn't handle R:

or have a means to get the time from the network and emulate a RTC back to the Atari,

Or run on a version Linux that's suitable (small, lightweight, headless, always-on,etc) additional keyboards & displays are not acceptable.

I want a one time setup, not endless fiddling (I already have a linux box, nowhere near my Atari).

This and other reasons are why I would choose not to tie my Atari to a Windows boat anchor running APE.

Rpi=programmable Atari peripheral

Rpi OS = firmware, login to config, GUI not needed. CLI linux, Forth ... Don't care.

Rpi Ethernet port = Atari SIO port (need custom cable, R handler for WiFi)

As soon as the Pi is viewed as an embedded programmable peripheral and not cheap hacky low end PC, then good things can happen.

It shouldn't be viewed as writing an application like APE, but as prototyping a multifunction device, like Side2.

I see what your saying. The device your describing would be the perfect Atari peripheral. I believe If someone were to devote a lot of time to writing a custom os and hardware interfaces the pi could become what you describe. At the end of the day the pi is just a low end hacky pc, and its very good at being just that. I do see some advantages to the pi being a full on pc. One being that the pi can surf the web and download any files you could ever want to send to your Atari. If you code on the Atari your can do the job much easier and faster on the pi and test it under emulation before you ever send it to your Atari. This may not be agreeable to some purists. In some ways I am a purist and some ways I'm not. Even though I do use Aspeqt and Ape quite a bit I still copy all my favorite games to floppies just so I can hear my 1050 hum.