IGNORED

What do you think are the most epic game consoles?

I would agree with Vectrex - that is a great console if you are into arcade action.

I think also Lynx needs a mention (please, no hair-splitters commenting that a handheld is not a console!). Good system with some great games - too bad it wasn't more of a success.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

2600: Provided the precident for home gaming. Though not the first, it had huge market penetration and also standardized a lot of features still in use today.

NES: Can be credited with popularizing side scrollers and beat-able games with identifiable, personifiable charecters. And don't forget the d-pad.

Dreamcast: Though widely acclaimed today, Sega couldn't afford to wage war against Sony.

GBA: Kept the flame of platforming burning bright during the dark ages.

DS: Touch screens (a first?), stereo sound, 2 screens, huge backwards compatible library. Lots of continued retro goodness.

EDIT: Obviously this is a very Nintendo-centric snapshot and hardly conclusive.

Edited by toptenmaterial

2600: Provided the precident for home gaming. Though not the first, it had huge market penetration and also standardized a lot of features still in use today.

NES: Can be credited with popularizing side scrollers and beat-able games with identifiable, personifiable charecters. And don't forget the d-pad.

Dreamcast: Though widely acclaimed today, Sega couldn't afford to wage war against Sony.

GBA: Kept the flame of platforming burning bright during the dark ages.

DS: Touch screens (a first?), stereo sound, 2 screens, huge backwards compatible library. Lots of continued retro goodness.

EDIT: Obviously this is a very Nintendo-centric snapshot and hardly conclusive.

I would have added the Super-NES to your list. Such games as Super Mario World, Mega Man X and Super Metroid raised the console up to epic status, IMHO. :)

I agree with the Vec.

However, while I don't own a NeoGeo, I wouldn't argue with that choice.

It wasn't arcade quality at home. It WAS Arcade at home.

That's pretty EPIC...

The NES had cultural impact, true. But "biggest?" I'd lean towards the 2600 for that. It was the real original (not techincally first, but first successful) console.

The NES was important for bringing it back after the crash, but rebirth isn't the same as birth. ;-)

desiv

Atari 7800

Bigger number means moar power right? So by that logic the 7800 should blow away the X Box 360, N64, and Turbograhix 16 which are much smaller numbers.

That's actually about as truthful as the "bit wars"!

I know it's off topic, but your post made me think of a bit wars thread here on AA (I may have started it), and how by it's logic, an INTV would smash a Master System, an N64 would be twice as powerful as a PS3 (32 bit), so forth and so on....

Ok, I'm done. You may all continue living your lives.

2600 - really started it all

NES - helped pull gaming back to life

PS1 - really moved the bar IMO

Everything that followed has these to thank for their success in my mind. There were great consoles in the middle of all this, and tons of great games, but these are the consoles that stand out to me as the ones that really made things move.

• Like 1

The Game.Com is the absolute definition of epic.

The Game.Com is the absolute definition of epic.

LOL. Someone either has a sense of humor or is lacking a dictionary :rolling:

I want whatever Austin is smoking.

IMHO

Odyssey - The original started it all and they had to invent everything from scratch.

2600 - Sure, there was a crash, but it wasn't the 2600s fault and everyone played the crap out of that thing back in the day.

NES - Would we really be here talking if the NES had not been successful?

PS2 - Sure we all love the Dreamcast, but face it - Sega screwed up and did not put a DVD player in it and then Sony ate their lunch. There is a whole generation that grew up on the PS1, PS2 and PS3.

Edited by Catsmasher

the vectrex, its the closest you can get to an arcade machine!

Not true. The Neo Geo AES is as close as you can get because it is the same thing. :P

If you want to get even more invloved the CMVS would be even closer, as it is arcade hardware. The CMVS is custom work, so I'm sure it doesn't count in this conversation.

the vectrex, its the closest you can get to an arcade machine!

Not true. The Neo Geo AES is as close as you can get because it is the same thing. :P

If you want to get even more invloved the CMVS would be even closer, as it is arcade hardware. The CMVS is custom work, so I'm sure it doesn't count in this conversation.

thats actually true :P but does it have vector graphics? :-D

• 3 weeks later...