IGNORED

What do you think are the most epic game consoles?

I wouldn't say companies wheren't ready, but battery power wasn't ready for the system. Read an artikel about a gamegear running for 8 hours on modern batteries.

The problem was battery life was relative. So if the Game Gear gets 8 hours on modern batteries the GameBoy would get much much more and the relative effect is still the batter life on the Game Gear isn't as good as the GameBoy. No one was saying "the Game Gear only gets X hours to a set of batteries" they were saying "the Game Gears gets X less than the GameBoy" and that is still true.

The problem was battery life was relative. So if the Game Gear gets 8 hours on modern batteries the GameBoy would get much much more and the relative effect is still the batter life on the Game Gear isn't as good as the GameBoy. No one was saying "the Game Gear only gets X hours to a set of batteries" they were saying "the Game Gears gets X less than the GameBoy" and that is still true.

My old grey gameboys typically get 28+ hours from a fresh set of batteries.

Opening post:

I've always wondered what people think are the most epic game consoles that didn't shine as much or were too underrated. Not obvious choices like theNES or atar 2600 etc. My favorite has got to be the Vectrex :)

mb_vectrex_1s.jpgso awesome :grin:

Way too many responses: "NES, 2600, SNES, Playstation, etc..." :P

The Sega Mark III is pretty epic when fully decked out with the FM Sound Source and 3D glasses and it is pretty underrated. Even if you consider the SMS as being recognized enough, aside from the FM sound support creating an overall experience that, for the time, is comparable to the Neo Geo when it first hit... The Mark III also supports the SG-1000 library, which may not be so epic on its own, but definitely ties in with the Mark III as a worthwhile underlooked and unique library.

Actually, the most epic console is not what you think. The NES dominated the late 8-bit and early 16-bit era because of MMC chips integrated into the games. Effectively, the NES hardware was able to move with the times by adding extra features such as more ROM, more RAM, IRQs and even FM synthesis!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_Management_Controller

For sure! Those of us who know the joy of opening a brand new Atari 2600 at Christmas, and also got a PS3 for fathers day 35 years later.... Spending your fast food paycheck at the arcade and pizza place playing Galaga and Defender while the speaker blared with Huey Lewis, Loverboy and Men at Work....

We have experienced the beginning, and I will be the first to buy the virtual reality headset when it comes out.

We arent old farts, we are the lucky ones!

I'd pick the Sega Saturn. Hugely underrated, but big in Japan. It's the ultimate hipster's system, and a thumb of the nose at the industry trends of the late 1990s. It was the ideal console for arcade ports, particularly arcade games by SNK and Capcom.

Other systems worth mentioning include the Sega Dreamcast, the Vectrex, and the Neo-Geo Pocket Color.