IGNORED

D2K Arcade (INTV) vs. Donkey Kong II Jumpman Returns (Arcade)

Rev

Here is the Arcade version that is up on Youtube. The guy that posted the gameplay video says in his description that this DK2 game was NOT programmed by Nintendo. I wonder if it's true? Oh well, i don't even care. :P

This Arcade version looks very fun, and i know the INTV version will be as well.

Consider this a sneek peak for those who never seen this game. I myself never even heard of it until this week!!!! :-o

Here is the Arcade version

http://youtu.be/yP4EOu1EWCI

Here are the 2 Intellivision screens. I think they hold up very well against the Arcade version. How long until we see a Colecovision version? :grin:

dk2MIXER.pngdk2REFINERY.png

Inspired by this AA thread: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/193075-new-game-announcement/

Edited by revolutionika
  • Like 2

It should be noted that D2K Arcade for the Intellivision is not a direct port of D2K: Jumpman Returns. It does contain three of the five new boards with the author's permission. It also contains an Intellivision exclusive level.

I also noticed there were some slight changes to the area where Kong stands. I dont think that will change gameplay at all though, just an observation.

I look forward to seeing the INTV exclusive level in action. :)

p.s. How hard would it be to make Princess Peach's dress pink or something? :ponder:

It should be noted that D2K Arcade for the Intellivision is not a direct port of D2K: Jumpman Returns. It does contain three of the five new boards with the author's permission. It also contains an Intellivision exclusive level.

I also noticed there were some slight changes to the area where Kong stands. I dont think that will change gameplay at all though, just an observation.

p.s. How hard would it be to make Princess Peach's dress pink or something? :ponder:

Easy. Just make the entire background pink. ;-)

Easy. Just make the entire background pink. ;-)

i am not even remotely any type of programmer. But why couldnt it be possible? the stack of barrells are different and the oil can is. No way to mmake the her dress blue even and her head not?

:mad: I blame this on mattel.

:P

Don't blame Mattel. A lot of console and computer systems of that era (and the 8 and 16-bit eras to come) have similar limitations because they use tiled backgrounds.

The problem with the Intellivision is that it's tiles occupy about twice the screen area of any other system (hence the 20 x 12 character grid). You can only specify color attributes at these boundaries. If your graphics cross the boundaries, you're screwed.

That's why you'll never see a DK board that has ladders colored separately from the background. It's impossible to isolate the ladder portion from the platforms – sure, you can have bits and pieces colored differently, but it looks awful.

Carl

I played DK II, Jumpman Returns in a friends arcade cabinet a few years ago, but didn't really care for it. Somehow on the Intellivision though, I think I'd get into it more. The "arcade" version seemed like a really hacked up DK to me. Doesn't have the flow of the original and you're scuttling/jumping about way too much. Just didn't feel right. I especially did not like the fact you had to watch your head under some of the girders as you stand up taller than some and end up getting scalped. It's not like you can duck either of course. :mad: