IGNORED

Names written on old games

Ataritard

I have a hand full of games with names written on them. I thought it would be cool if any of these games used to belong to any one here at Atari Age. I realize it's a long shot but here are the names:

Jim West

Wally Schulte

Chris Cooper

Justice with 7 digits of a phone number

Brice

and two with just initials: J.M. and M.B.E.

Good idea!!!!, so we can go over and throw them off a cliff for writing on labels in the 1st place. :mad:

I've fortunately never encountered a game with a name written on a cart's label, it's always just the plastic and usually somewhere discrete on the back. A few from my collection that come to mind:

Gargoyle's Quest, GB - HEBERT written on the back.

Dr. Mario (JPN), GB - 田中 (Tanaka) written on the back.

Super Game Genie - Andrew Dale written on the front under a couple of other illegible names apparently crossed out.

I'd already taken rubbing alcohol to the names written on most of my games =|

There might be a few that still have pen written on them, but otherwise the names went unless they were our own (or my relatives).

Funny story though, my brother was at a used game shop once and found some NES games that used to belong to a childhood friend of his.

Imagine back in 1977, you're 8 years old. You write your name on your carts to tell your game from all your friends. Over time you lose track of your carts, and your friends. Then, 30 years later you get a call from someone who was able to track you down by name from your own cart. How awesome would that be?

Several of mine have names written on them. It would be kinda cool to locate the original owner.
Imagine back in 1977, you're 8 years old. You write your name on your carts to tell your game from all your friends. Over time you lose track of your carts, and your friends. Then, 30 years later you get a call from someone who was able to track you down by name from your own cart. How awesome would that be?

I heard a story a while ago (can't remember where from, or all the details) about a collector who used modern internet tech to track down a guy who wrote his name on a cart (I have a feeling it was a NES cart). Anyway, this guy got all freaked out and was quite pissed that the collector had bought "HIS" game at some flea market.

I have my own name on my Pokemon Blue and Silver carts :-D (I used to live in a poorer area, other kids would take stuff if it didn't have your name on it)

I also have Goodwill's scribble on some carts and a frustrated N64 owner's "end label", but I don't think those count as names.

I did find "Christopher" on the back of my Kirby Super start cart.

My copy of Super Mario 64 has "WHITE" written on the back.

My NES Blaster Master has a sticker that says "PAUL" on it (I've never bothered taking it off.)

My NES Metal Gear has "STEPHENS" written on the front.

My NES Rush 'N Attack has "WR" written on the front, not sure if it was initials or what.

The only one I have with a first and last name is NES Jackal. It has "Mike Ricos" written on the label.

Great topic! I definitely have a few carts with names written on them, as well as the more annoying red crayon from thrift stores..

I have had TWO really weird things happen to me though involving names.. I had gotten Donkey Kong Land for Christmas the year it came out, and I wrote my name on the back in a red marker. I lost the game probably a few years later. However, when I started getting big into collecting, I decided I "needed" a copy of Donkey Kong Land. So I went to Destiny Games, a local used game shop about 30 minutes from where I grew up. I bought a copy of Donkey Kong Land, and when I got home, "Jeremy" was written on the back in red marker. I called a bunch of my friends to tell them the story, I thought it was the weirdest thing.

The other thing, not as weird.. I knew a girl named Ariel that was obsessed with Zelda. I bought a copy of Links Awakening DX from a thrift store, and the main game file was named Ariel. I told her about it, but she said it wasnt hers because she'd never get rid of a Zelda game!

• Like 1

I bought a copy of the original gold NES Legend of Zelda off eBay to replace the copy my cousin lost when we were little...

...long story short, the save files were RUSTY, KINSEY, and BUTT. I kept them that way, I just make a new BUTT when I want to start over.

• Like 2