IGNORED

512K Cartridge Status

Ksarul

• 3 weeks later...

Funny you should ask. :) I was going to upload my collection anyway. Anyone that's making carts should download this update, as I've made several minor bugfixes in my carts recently, 2 as of a 1/2 hour ago.

Filenames that are in sets of 3 that begin with the same thing are for Ubergrom cart, single filename images are for 512k Rom cart.

gallery_29515_833_1096.jpg

attachicon.gifAll Cart Files.zip

Gazoo

Heh, just in time for the five 512K ones I just built. I was just about to scour the thread for all of these. Thanks for putting them in one place! You rock, man. :)

I'm going to make sure that they're all the latest version (I already burned the Games and Utilities ones, but will redo them just in case.)

I really need to get my 844USB to burn the 1284P's correctly (or need to beat those 49F040's into submission... or maybe both) so I can burn the rest.

Just for kicks and giggles, what's the difference between SXB Suite, XB3, and XB27? Definitely making a RXB one to play around with it, but I only have three of the 1284P carts right now.

Those look real slick!

Can I ask, what PCB fab house you used? I'm getting into designing some of my own PCB's.

You would have to ask Ksarul who he used; I just know that he found an alternate fab house that was very reasonable compared to what we have typically used. We actually still use ExpressPCB for design, but we convert it to a standard Gerber format to send to the fab houses now.

This board has been a collab from quite a few people... I think we're out of space on the board for names (and jumpers).

Speaking of which... I completely ran out of 32 pin sockets, 16 pin sockets, breakaway headers, and jumpers when I built these. Time to buy more. Had to use two 8 pin sockets next to each other (hey, I guess what works works.) :)

• Like 2

'Yall should have a look at OSHPark. You upload your PCB designs to them, and call them off when you need them. But... the cool thing is, the design automatically becomes available for purchase by anyone. No need to organise PCB runs (i.e. getting x many people to commit, show interest etc). If you want a board, just order it. If I want a board, I just order it. No need to involve anyone once the board has been uploaded. This is of course really only suitable for "open" PCB designs (i.e. non-profit) as the only party that makes any money is OSHPark. I've used them and their purple boards are awesome. They're really cheap too, and free worldwide shipping. I got some MSP430 to DIL adaptor boards made that somebody else designed.

• Like 3

OSHPark is what I use now. That would be a fairly expensive solution and not very economical when it comes to doing production runs, simply because the cost is essentially $1.67 per square inch, and lots of board houses can beat this price point even at reasonably small runs.

(EDIT: I should also add, OSHPark only does 3 qty. at minimum, so it'd be tough for each person to order their own board, cuz then they'd end up with 2 extra. Unless they want to take the time to find 2 buddies to go in on it with them.)

acadiel, can you either PM me or post some help on how to convert ExpressPCB files into standard Gerbers? I'm using Eagle right now, and stuck with an annoying 3 inch by 4 inch board size restriction, and last time I messed with ExpressPCB (which was a WHILE ago) I seem to recall having some trouble converting the files into standard Gerbers. Am I totally an idiot and missing something here? Or is there a trick you use?

Edited by gregallenwarner

To get back on topic, I'm currently blocked on the compatibility with the Widget. The problem is that the widgets turns off the GROMs by switching only the -5v line, which the AVR doesn't use and can't read directly. Gazoo suggested checking for the ROM's power, well, that's not switched, it's always on. I tried an optoisolator and several voltage shifting circuits to try and get the negative voltage to a positiev level that the AVR could detect, but interference from the reset circuit prevented reliable results. Unless someone else has another solid (TESTED) idea, I'm not working on that which means that the Widget will not be compatible with cartridges that use the AVR GROM solution.

OSHPark is what I use now. That would be a fairly expensive solution and not very economical when it comes to doing production runs, simply because the cost is essentially $1.67 per square inch, and lots of board houses can beat this price point even at reasonably small runs.

(EDIT: I should also add, OSHPark only does 3 qty. at minimum, so it'd be tough for each person to order their own board, cuz then they'd end up with 2 extra. Unless they want to take the time to find 2 buddies to go in on it with them.)

acadiel, can you either PM me or post some help on how to convert ExpressPCB files into standard Gerbers? I'm using Eagle right now, and stuck with an annoying 3 inch by 4 inch board size restriction, and last time I messed with ExpressPCB (which was a WHILE ago) I seem to recall having some trouble converting the files into standard Gerbers. Am I totally an idiot and missing something here? Or is there a trick you use?

I've used futurlec.com for my runs of 64k carts and hdx daughterboards. They do good work and it's certianly competitive. The guys Kasrul is using actually beat their price.. and may be faster.. I will see about digging up their link. Or perhaps we will have to wait till he returns from Turkey.

Greg

To get back on topic, I'm currently blocked on the compatibility with the Widget. The problem is that the widgets turns off the GROMs by switching only the -5v line, which the AVR doesn't use and can't read directly. Gazoo suggested checking for the ROM's power, well, that's not switched, it's always on. I tried an optoisolator and several voltage shifting circuits to try and get the negative voltage to a positiev level that the AVR could detect, but interference from the reset circuit prevented reliable results. Unless someone else has another solid (TESTED) idea, I'm not working on that which means that the Widget will not be compatible with cartridges that use the AVR GROM solution.

Non-compatibility with the widget doesn't bother me. Everything one should need should fit into one cart anyway. :) So can we call the current version of the boards the final version then? I'm just about ready to start making XB v2.7 carts, 4 games and about 35 calls have been added since I last posted a version. There's REALLY no more room left now, and it's working rock-solidly thanks to your grom emulation code. The docs are also nearly complete. My custom printed vinyl cart labels should be here in about a week and I've got a bunch of empty shells. All that's needed is another run of boards, as I understand there's only a few left. Maybe a parts kit could be put together for the boards for those of us that can solder, and Ksarul won't have to do all the soldering.

Gazoo

• Like 1

Non-compatibility with the widget doesn't bother me. Everything one should need should fit into one cart anyway :)

I agree. Never understood the use of the widget anyway, completely messes up the look of the system, the carts are in the way and you still need to reset to select a new cart.

I would just like to throw my name in the hat for one of these when/if they become available. Especially since I just accidentally sold my last EA cart on Ebay. So I'd like to load it up with XB, EA, TE2, MM(?) and several other utlities and a shit ton of games.. But I don't know how to do any of that. I'd need help. But I am drooling over this cart.

Darryl

I won't promise no more GROM changes until I'm done the loader, which I guess I can get back to now. ;) But I don't expect to find anything else that breaks anything, I did all the basic GROM testing over a year ago (and the advanced GROM testing where I replaced the console GROMs longer than that.)

I don't imagine there will be any more board changes, but not that I intend to initiate. I don't know if the current board needed changes for the capacitor changes or not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to the party (got a TI-99 2 weeks ago!) and have been researching ways to get games on the unit / save my own programs. After reading pages of information and rigging up a audio cable and recording my programs to my laptop, the multi-cart seems an ideal solution for games and programs. Is this going to be sold as a finished product or a kit in the arcadeshopper store? Or do I need to get in on some ordering list for the next round of carts? Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post but most of the places I've found online are all old threads or dead ends. Thanks! :)

It's never too late to this party! That's what keeps this party going. Welcome aboard! There are lots of projects going on that are documented on this forum. This is only one of them. My fbForth 2.0 is a ROM-only (32kB) and does require 32KB expansion RAM and floppy drives or the nanoPEB (or CF7+). We may be able to get it on this 512K card, too—I haven't looked into that with Jim, yet.

Again—Welcome aboard! :grin:

...lee

It will definitely work on the Black edition boards, Lee. I am getting ready to assemble another group of the Red 512K boards--and I should have more of the ÜberGROM boards assembled and ready by the end of September (I'm ordering them this week).

I've used Sitopway (in Shenzhen) to do my boards recently--they produce high-quality boards for a very good price, and they are fast.

• Like 1

I've used Sitopway (in Shenzhen) to do my boards recently--they produce high-quality boards for a very good price, and they are fast.

Jim, do Sitopway have an 'online quote' facility? Can't see one with a very quick browse of their website. I'm looking at doing a small run of TM990 8-slot backplanes.

Stuart.

I send the Gerbers to their sales address (sales@) and (sitopway) with (.com) and I get quotes back within 24 hours. They don't do online quotes directly. Shipment is via DHL, and the packing is good. The eight runs of boards I've ordered from them have all been excellent to work with. I may want one of those backplanes when you finish--I am considering building a 990 at some point, as I've ended up with a few 990 boards over the years that I really need to do something interesting with. . .

As of this morning I have about a dozen each of the Red (512K Non-inverted), Black (128Kx4 Inverted) and ÜberGROM boards assembled and available. I was digging through my stuff and found a bunch of the ÜberGROM boards that I'd been partially assembling for testing back when we were working on potential hardware issues. I finished assembling them using the current build standard and all of them work perfectly. I'll have more of them in the next couple of weeks, as I completed an order for another run of them two days ago. For those who still have outstanding paid orders, I'll pack yours up and ship them out on Friday. They are over and above the boards listed as available. It was quite relaxing assembling them--although she-who-must-be-obeyed wasm't too pleased.

I also started assembly on a small group of 32K switched supercart boards, but I still need to dig out some of the necessary parts to complete them to verify operation before I make the rest of the boards available to the community. Note that anyone wanting to build one of these will need to acquire their own E/A GROM chip for the center socket, as I only have two loose ones--and they are for my test cartridges.

• Like 2