IGNORED

Knockout Round 7: Ms. Pacman

zylon

Ms. Pacman has been chosen as our semi-final round. May the best of our battle-tested veterans advance to the finals... Play on default starting level and get packin'.

Emulation is fine as is whatever control scheme you wish. Pics required as lowest score is eliminated from further play.

Skips will no longer be granted as we are down to the final 3 players. A game may still be "passed" if the majority are in agreement. this is the last round that will have a majority and Pitfall has been "passed". The remainder of this contest will be "play or lose".

Anyone else wishing to play may join in as unofficial players. :)

Round ends 10pm EST Sunday night January 29th 2012

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

You need not win, just need to not lose. Let the battle begin!

eligible players:

sdamon - 62,380

JacobZu7zu7 -61,440

zylon - 24,180 (eliminated)

Unofficial players:

26,660 Roadrunner

Games to be played:

Ms. Pacman

Pitfall!: was "passed" by a majority vote

Beamrider

Frogger

Defender

River Raid

Centipede

Pacman

Mario Bros

Dig Dug

Pole Position

Space Invaders

Super Cobra

Edited by zylon

Oh this is some kind of tournament? I always jumped in whenever if I liked the game and had time. :P

Yeah, there's 'knockout' tournaments running in many of the HSC's (2600, 5200, 7800, INTV) right now. Here in the 5200 HSC, we're down to the final three. But 'unofficial' players are still welcome if you'd like to give Ms. Pac a shot... and if you were to beat the all-time Ms. Pac high score, it would still count.

Seems quiet here now, the 5200 locker room is pretty empty! :) :sleep:

Wow, only one more game to go after this... :-o :twisted:

it'll be you 2 guys in the final since there's no way I'll get more than 30k. Only version I can approach 60k on is the 2600 port.

Seems quiet here now, the 5200 locker room is pretty empty! :) :sleep:

Wow, only one more game to go after this... :-o :twisted:

it'll be you 2 guys in the final since there's no way I'll get more than 30k. Only version I can approach 60k on is the 2600 port.

Oh... give it a few more tries zylon, no pressure... and if it doesn't "click", yep me and the champion, for the final... I know there's maybe 1 or 2 games I can possibly win this thing with. The rest I have no shot.

I worked very hard for this ms pac-man score... around 8 tries, total around 20 attempts?

Select the "Banana" and see what it's like people lol! I could deal, if I had more lives, by the time I get to this... I have around 2 or 3 lives tops.

post-3059-0-88164400-1327605167_thumb.jpg

Yeah, banana level is TOUGH! I was very happy to be able snag both bananas before meeting my demise!

I'll certainly agree that the final choice of game will be a crucial factor in the outcome!

I got to the second Banana level from default starting point.... there's 3 total maze rounds of Bananas,

then the Jr pac-man is born and the blue level...

only way I know is from selecting the Banana at the start of the game! lol...

Yep final game could be a decider! If I get to final, I'll sure give it my all :twisted: :thumbsup: :skull: :grin:

Joust should be the final. :) That I think is an even playing field (e.g. Ms. Pacman has a lot of variability on the upper stages if you get a random 5000 pt. banana or not). Requires lots of skill and is an excellent arcade port of a famous game. :D

Joust should be the final. :) That I think is an even playing field (e.g. Ms. Pacman has a lot of variability on the upper stages if you get a random 5000 pt. banana or not). Requires lots of skill and is an excellent arcade port of a famous game. :D

How does this one compare with the arcade? I notice Ms Pac-man on 5200 isn't a "fast eater", and you have to clear paths first or the ghosts will really get her if you try to run through the dots... esp, the early levels.

This game is quite fun on higher settings or when the apple speed kicks in.

Jacob VS Damon tied 3-3 will soon become 3-4 probably lol, but often scores have been pretty close!

Ms Pac-man (round 7 now!)

sdamon - 62,380

JacobZu7zu7 - 61,440

Super Cobra (round 6)

sdamon - 31,400

JacobZu7zu7 - 30,250

Frogger (round 5)

JacobZu7zu7 - 16,820

sdamon - 15,835

Mario Bros. (round 4)

JacobZu7zu7 - 240,090

sdamon - 164,240

Pole Position (round 3)

sdamon - 100,650

JacobZu7zu7 - 99,600

River Raid (round 2)

sdamon - 105,170

JacobZu7zu7 - 89,280

Defender (round 1)

JacobZu7zu7 - 2,401,350

sdamon - 1,196,800

• Like 1

We pre-selected the games before the Tourney started, noone picked Joust.

but...

Speaking of Joust... HOLY SCHNIKES! I'd turn into a bird or egg, trying to top that score.

Current HSC record:

Joust -

doctorclu 1,611,000

:woozy: :-o :thumbsup: :twisted: :P ;-)

Jacob VS Damon tied 3-3 will soon become 3-4 probably lol, but often scores have been pretty close!

Very interesting! I suspect that the remainder of the knockout tournament (as well as the next season) will be continue to be hard fought indeed! :-)

How does this one compare with the arcade? I notice Ms Pac-man on 5200 isn't a "fast eater", and you have to clear paths first or the ghosts will really get her if you try to run through the dots... esp, the early levels.

Well of course the "fast" Ms. Pacman isn't really the way the game is.. although many machines are that way now. The 5200 is pretty close to the original speed.

As far as Joust, it's a great translation, but I actually prefer it over the arcade version. The flying is faster (doesn't take as much flaps to fly), and the ceiling is bouncy :lol:. In 5200 Joust though it's important to not play the default difficulty which is way too easy since the eggs dont hatch to a more dangerous enemy each time, and the shadow lords come out way too late in the game.

We pre-selected the games before the Tourney started, noone picked Joust.

but...

Speaking of Joust... HOLY SCHNIKES! I'd turn into a bird or egg, trying to top that score.

Current HSC record:

Joust -

doctorclu 1,611,000

While I'm not great at it, Joust is one of my favorite games. :) At the beginning, when we picked games, I specified that they had to titles with ports on other systems, not just Atari. Since the NES is running a Knockout, I can allow Joust as the final if both of the survivors want it.

I'll be giving my emulated version of 5200 Ms Pac a go tonight. I'd have to more than double my lifetime best to advance further.

Current HSC record:

Joust -

doctorclu 1,611,000

What difficulty though? That's all important. :D Like I said default, on the 5200 is actually an "easy" version. :)

That is a good point about which difficulty is picked and maybe we should think about that carefully for some 2012 HSC games. Playing on the Advanced setting makes the game go by quicker and is more a challenge as well. I think to myself, I'd prolly just quit on Joust before I got to 1.6M points. too long a session!