IGNORED

My Atari XEGS Project

boisy

Sorry for bringing this old thread back from its zombie status, but I could use some help.

I've been getting requests for Liber809s and have started building some to meet the demand. I have two test machines: an Atari 130XE and an Atari XEGS. Both have been in a shop cabinet for at least 2 years without power. Now, neither of them will show anything but a black screen when the SALLY and regular OS ROM chip are in them.

I'm looking for a working 65XE, 130XE, 600XL, or 800XL for testing these boards. I'll worry about fixing the two machines later. Please contact me privately if you can help. Thanks.

• Like 1

The Liber809 and ROMs don't work either. I suspect I may have plugged in a Commodore power supply inadvertently at some point. If so, what damage does that do?

A C64 power supply would put mixed 5VDC+9V AC into chips that can't handle more than 5V DC... often blows out RAM first, and if lucky, their sacrifice prevents further damage to other chips 'down the line'...

• Like 1

From what I gather on previous threads, the next common failure points after RAM are OS ROM, MMU, and FREDDIE.

Since you already tried Liber809 ROMs without success, you have determined one or both of MMU or FREDDIE may still bad. Your original OS ROM may also still be bad if that was present in the system when the C64 PSU was used...

But yeah, easiest to troubleshoot when you have an extra known working machine you can swap parts from...

• Like 1

Commie = EVIL, DEATH, and DESTRUCTION! (in EVERY sense of the word). [Literally a DEATH CULT] :)

C=64 / TI destroyed the market. People are stupid, so they bought what was CHEAP instead of what was GOOD.

Long Live Atari!

Don't EVER plug in this supply (or an Ingot).

This is a hard lesson of TRUTH.

It is what is is. (unless you're Slick Willie) and then it depends upon the meaning of the word 'is'. :)

Edit: (((FUN))) :) :) :)

Edited by Kyle22
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 5/25/2020 at 8:29 PM, universal2600 said:

Interesting makes me curious what if one used a Motorola 68008 cpu ??

I'm always amused when a necrobump happens to a topic thread that's been dormant for over a year with no explanation whatsoever... 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, almightytodd said:

I'm always amused when a necrobump happens to a topic thread that's been dormant for over a year with no explanation whatsoever... 

Anymore on here, I don't even question it, if the necrobump is < 5 years old.  I love the ones where the original poster hasn't logged in in over 8 years, and someone posts a question in reply.

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Anymore on here, I don't even question it, if the necrobump is < 5 years old.  I love the ones where the original poster hasn't logged in in over 8 years, and someone posts a question in reply.

what really gets you is when the response comes 3 months later with the answer and remark that they're sorry they've been away so long...

Lmao I ran into this thread browsing the internet, I was reading through it and thought well why not just use a 68008, I was thinking of a pbi accelerator that would contain it plus 64k of ram, use the 68008 for graphics, and the 6502 for logic,io, and sound...or vice versa, run it ~ 7.16 MHz to start, effectively  a stripped down Amiga with an 8bit databus (Amiga XL??)

Edited by universal2600