IGNORED

Blinky Goes Up (formerly GIANA BROS)

Jan Hermanns

I think the difficulty is perfect. My only suggestion would be to change the name. Giana Bros calls to mind mario bros, which may set the wrong expectation in people's mind. I would give this game a more unique name. I think you have a nice little character to work with, and a backstory couldn't hurt. It may also help pave the way for some sequels. Just my two cents.

Otherwise, I think it looks pretty sweet and I can't wait to see more.

-B

I agree, the name reminds me of-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMTdr026bZU

Edited by so_tough!

I like the idle "blink" animation, by they way, and he's (she? it?) is a GREAT little character!

It's a he and his name is Blinky!

I never heard of that game, but it makes more sense now. That said, I still think it should be given a unique name so it can stand on it's own.

-B

Hmm, how about . . .

THE ADVENTURES OF BLINKY !

or . . . maybe . . .

BLINKI VERSUS THE SLINKI ?

I think I need some plot and backstory here to help out - - perhaps an epic COVER ART image as was done in the days of ATARI yore . . . like this one, a personal favorite of mine . . . MEGA FORCE

post-27961-0-21147200-1327609456_thumb.jpg

AWW YEAH - - "Deeds Not Words!"

Anyways, sorry, I'm derailing the conversation here a bit . . .

:D

-a2a

I read the title of the thread and thought it was about a 2600 port of Great Giana Sisters, or some game based on Super Mario Bros. :P

The game looks great! I look forward to its release. :)

Personally, I would change the title, however, to something that doesn't call Super Mario Bros. or knockoffs of Super Mario Bros. to mind.

(Also, just throwing this out there: Giana [actually, "Gianna"] is a female name. If anything, I would think you'd want "Gianni" Bros.)

:)

Wow, that's really, really good. Very difficult too.

Thank you!

May I ask you some questions?

1. Is it too difficult (i.e. is it challenging or frustrating)? If so, which part(s) did you find too difficult?

2. Did you play all three levels?

1. I didn't try very long. I downloaded it shortly before I had to go to bed. But for now I'm thinking it's probably the right level of difficulty and it won't take too long to get use to it.

2. No, I only made it up the stairs on the first level.

I think it controls very well but the death from lack of scroll down and the fall out of the world deaths are kind of frustrating, although I was never a big fan of bottomless pits in the platform genre but I'd lose one of those difficulties.

I figured I'd throw some Playfield patterns at you Jan to possibly dress up your cool game. I based them on the platform block dimension you appear to be working with, Cheers. :)

post-29395-0-36399700-1327620308_thumb.png

I wish I could use them, but due to technical limitations this is not possible (there is no processor time left in the kernal).

Darn I thought that might be the case before I started but oh well 4K is a interesting challenge in itself. So 7-10 levels, I guess that sounds good too. :D

You could make Ice Climber with this Engine.

Moving platform would be really tough though.

Great animation, vertical up and down scrolling would be wild, because, the physics would be cool. Really enjoyed playing it. Want more from it now.

Wonder if you could add a sound track or sound effects?

Or you could do a 4k version as a personal challenge, and then go nuts with it after that!

This is a good idea. This game is begging to be larger than 8K. Would be nice to have different enemies that behave differently, and some more variety in the looks of the levels. Plus music and sound would really add some fun and depth to the gameplay.

-B

Just played the demo for a bit - - FANTASTIC Jans!

I found myself drawn in by the character design - - BLINKY is appealing as a hero, and I feel compelled to help him, well done.

The physics feel good, although the edges of ledges seem "magnetic," and I discovered I don't have to precisely hit them, and get drawn in? Or maybe it is that the "edges" project out a bit invisibly? Either way, the edges are not quite where I expected them, but then I started compensating for or relying on that "invisible" or magnetic part.

On colors, I am not a fan of the yellow-green scheme on LEVEL 2. I prefer the red of level one, and have a second favorite of the blue on level 3.

The enemies are good, with a nice variation of types/challenges. I REALLY like how you have positioned various enemies in different spots, like the BOUNCERS right next to or on single brick widths, and then the parapets or "pits" on LEVEL 3 with the horizontal DASHERS is very fun!

I like how the gold nuggets are cumulative for extra lives, even between levels! Once I figured that out, I was encouraged to go for them more.

Like others have said, this is a GREAT game engine! You can choose to go a lot of ways with this! Some said "bosses" - - I think the levels are "boss" enough, personally.

Music, at least one simple melody that plays ocassionally (not all the time!) and some other background would be nice.

That's what I have for now . . . time to go try and beat LEVEL 3!

:D

-a2a

Oh my! This is running on an Atari 2600??? Color me IMPRESSED!

I just tried it on my Harmony cart! WOW! Color me FLABBERGASTED! This is amazing! Closest thing to a Mario-style platformer on a 2600. And smoothe as glass with the animations. The character design is truly inspired.

If it was at all possible to squeeze some sounds into that 4k I think it would be the cherry on the cake.

So far, thanks everybody for your feedback. This is really, really helpful!

Some of you pointed out, that sound FX would be nice and I think that's

a valid claim. It's now on top of my list.

About the 4K limit...

I set myself this limit for two reasons:

1. To force myself to program very efficiently

2. To get things done

I think point 1 is self explaining, but let me elaborate on point 2.

There is only so much stuff that fits into 4K, so sooner or later you

hit the limit and if you made the right decisions you have a nice little

game. If there is no such limit you can program forever and ever and

never come to an end, because better is the enemy of good.

Maybe I'll do a sequel with big endbosses, soundtrack, moving

platforms, hidden bonus levels, hiscores, timer, lots of different enemies

and whatnot. This is all doable, but right now I stick with the 4K limit to

get things done!

• Like 1

So far, thanks everybody for your feedback. This is really, really helpful!

Some of you pointed out, that sound FX would be nice and I think that's

a valid claim. It's now on top of my list.

About the 4K limit...

I set myself this limit for two reasons:

1. To force myself to program very efficiently

2. To get things done

I think point 1 is self explaining, but let me elaborate on point 2.

There is only so much stuff that fits into 4K, so sooner or later you

hit the limit and if you made the right decisions you have a nice little

game. If there is no such limit you can program forever and ever and

never come to an end, because better is the enemy of good.

Maybe I'll do a sequel with big endbosses, soundtrack, moving

platforms, hidden bonus levels, hiscores, timer, lots of different enemies

and whatnot. This is all doable, but right now I stick with the 4K limit to

get things done!

Totally valid points. I remember an interview with Ed Fries when he did Halo 2600, he said he chose the console because he wanted to challenge himself to make an awesome Atari game for 4k. He did it and now Jan you have done it too.

I figured I'd throw some Playfield patterns at you Jan to possibly dress up your cool game. I based them on the platform block dimension you appear to be working with, Cheers. :)

I wish I could use them, but due to technical limitations this is not possible (there is no processor time left in the kernal).

Can't you use that chip in the Harmony cart??