IGNORED

Blinky Goes Up (formerly GIANA BROS)

Jan Hermanns

There are some nice tunes by thegoldenband in these threads:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/116958-first-attempts-at-writing-music-in-bb/

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/131598-a-thread-for-new-atari-2600-tunes/

I think these tunes would be a good match for your game, if you have the space?

Chris

Genius. Great character and fun game.

With the lack of scrolling down maybe you could have it that water is flooding the 'pit' that Blinky is climbing. That way there's a reason for falling deaths - he drowns...

You could call the game Blinky in the Drinky! :P

I'm curious - is there anything left that you want to do before committing this as the final product? Or are you satisfied with it as is?

All in all most people seem to like the game, so I'm quite proud ;-)

What I plan to do for final release is:

1. Add sound FX

2. Add at least 3 more levels, of varying difficulty

3. Change the name/titlescreen. This hurts the most, because I like the title very much and it was a lot of work to "emulate" the Mario-Font. The title was intended as a homage to two of my all time favorite games namely "The Great Giana Sisters" and "Super Mario Bros.". But when people hear the title they either think of a horizontal scrolling platformer and get dissapointed or they didn't get it all (I think that's because they are to young and don't know "Giana Sisters"). Though I'm not sure, what the new title will be.

4. Design a graphically applealing booklet/manual - I'm looking forward to this task... :-)

Has this been submitted to Al for possible cart release? It certainly deserving of it!

I would love to see it released as a cart. Do you know whom I have to sleep with, to make that happen?

• Like 2

I would love to see it released as a cart. Do you know whom I have to sleep with, to make that happen?

There are two ways of doing this.

The easiest way is for you to PM Albert (he owns AA and the store) and get him to check your game out. If he puts it in the store he'll make the carts on demand and you'll get paid a royalty on each game sold.

The 2nd is to find somebody to make the carts for you as a limited run. You'd open a pre-order thread for a couple of weeks to gauge demand then take payment (not everybody on the pre-order wants the cart when it comes to payment time). Get the number of carts made that have been paid for and then ship them out.

Either way you'll need a cart label designed for the game. You might also want to think about making a PAL version for the people outside the USA.

There are two ways of doing this.

The easiest way is for you to PM Albert (he owns AA and the store) and get him to check your game out. If he puts it in the store he'll make the carts on demand and you'll get paid a royalty on each game sold.

The 2nd is to find somebody to make the carts for you as a limited run. You'd open a pre-order thread for a couple of weeks to gauge demand then take payment (not everybody on the pre-order wants the cart when it comes to payment time). Get the number of carts made that have been paid for and then ship them out.

Either way you'll need a cart label designed for the game. You might also want to think about making a PAL version for the people outside the USA.

Thank you so much! I'll contact Albert, when the final version is done.

And I'll definitely do a PAL version - I'm from germany ;-)

Genius. Great character and fun game.

With the lack of scrolling down maybe you could have it that water is flooding the 'pit' that Blinky is climbing. That way there's a reason for falling deaths - he drowns...

You could call the game Blinky in the Drinky! :P

There is already a VCS game with a water flooding pit:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/174302-the-wicked-father/

How about "Avoid the Ground" as an homage to Cybermorph :P

I didn't know Cybermorph, so I had to dig it on youtube and wasted half an hour watching old Atari Jaguar games ;-)

But anyway, I think that would be a cool title, although I would abbreviate it "ATG" at the titlescreen. I'm seriously considering this,

thank you!

Nice work! Great animation and pretty fluid controls, don't see that there would be a problem with letting the character fall and have the screen scroll back down - wouldn't make it too easy I don't think and I'd really love to see that become part of the gameplay. That's the difficult thing, though - turns out I made The Wicked Father way too difficult because I was the only person playtesting it. No-one can really get past the 4th or 5th screen even though I can complete it pretty much every time I play it and I think it makes people feel it's a bad game.

Can't wait to see how it comes along :)

Edited by Junosix

Thanks for the link to the Wicked Father game. I missed it before.

@ Junosix; Do you think you'll ever go back and tweak the game, at all? It would be a shame to let such a nice game and premise fall by the wayside just because of the difficulty... :)

3. Change the name/titlescreen. This hurts the most, because I like the title very much and it was a lot of work to "emulate" the Mario-Font. The title was intended as a homage to two of my all time favorite games namely "The Great Giana Sisters" and "Super Mario Bros.". But when people hear the title they either think of a horizontal scrolling platformer and get dissapointed or they didn't get it all (I think that's because they are to young and don't know "Giana Sisters"). Though I'm not sure, what the new title will be.

Disappointed isn't the right word, more like surprised, in a good way. As someone else said the game stands on its own and the current name doesn't represent it well.

The game so far is a kick and I look forward to playing a version with sound - even if you are only half as crafty with that I expect it will be worth waiting for :-).

Thanks for the link to the Wicked Father game. I missed it before.

@ Junosix; Do you think you'll ever go back and tweak the game, at all? It would be a shame to let such a nice game and premise fall by the wayside just because of the difficulty... :)

Replying to this in the The Wicked Father thread because I don't want to hijack this one!

Edited by Junosix