apersson850

Pascal on the 99/4A

39 minutes ago, apersson850 said:

I had it in my vault (I wasn't at home when I wrote the first answer). But it's on the net too. The p-system program development manual for the TI Professional computer. Look in appendix H for the backend errors.

That manual states that Backend Error 8 is triggered when the jump table has more than 400 entries. I'm pretty certain I don't have that many jumps in the procedure in question, so I'm guessing the TI implementation has a smaller jump table limit?

In any case, braking up the procedure into two separate procedures solved the problem :)

Well, it's for the TI professional computer, which had much more memory than the 99/4A. So it makes sense that the problem comes quicker on our little machine. That's why I didn't give you any number, just a general explanation.

I have a 4 character string which I want to split into 2 sub-strings each 2 characters long. The following gives an error 125 (type error) which I assume is because the concat intrinsic is being passed characters rather than strings.

program test;
var
  pmove,pto,pfrom : string;

begin
  readln(input,pmove);
  pfrom:=concat(pmove[1],pmove[2]);
  pto:=concat(pmove[3],pmove[4]);
  writeln(pfrom,pto);
end.

I there another way of doing this?

EDIT:

Ok figured it out using the copy function.

prom:=copy(pmove,1,2);
pto:=copy(pmove,3,2);

I am now keeping this little handy UCSD Pascal reference card on hand to help with remembering what's available on the system...

UCSD Pascal Quick Reference Card.pdf

• Like 2

Using copy is the neat way.

The brutal way to copy any data from any variable to any other variable is using moveleft.

moveleft(pmove[1],pfrom[1],2) will move two bytes starting from pmove[1] to pfrom. It starts filling at pfrom[1]. In pfrom[0] is the length indicator. So either you have to turn off range checking and set that to 2 manually, or you have to first assign pfrom a two character dummy string.

moveleft(pmove[3],pto[1],2) vill take care of the other one, with the same prerequisites.

For such short strings and where an easy, neat way exists, moveleft isn't really worth it. But there are other cases where it's very handy.

Edited by apersson850
  • Like 2

WOW! Just finished reading this entire thread. I used the TI-99/4A UCSD PASCAL with P-CODE card in the late 80's when I was in college.  I think I was the only student using the TI at University of Iowa in the 80's.  The Terminal Emulator did great connecting to main frames so I could upload my code, test it on the University's systems, then print my code on greenbar sheets and turn it in to the TA. 

I'm buying a fairly complete system with a P-CODE card, so going to start looking for the Editor, Compiler and Linker software online.  

(If anyone has a complete set of the original manuals and disks, let me know.)

Thanks! Ron

• Like 5

8 hours ago, [email protected] said:

WOW! Just finished reading this entire thread. I used the TI-99/4A UCSD PASCAL with P-CODE card in the late 80's when I was in college.  I think I was the only student using the TI at University of Iowa in the 80's.  The Terminal Emulator did great connecting to main frames so I could upload my code, test it on the University's systems, then print my code on greenbar sheets and turn it in to the TA. 

I'm buying a fairly complete system with a P-CODE card, so going to start looking for the Editor, Compiler and Linker software online.  

(If anyone has a complete set of the original manuals and disks, let me know.)

Thanks! Ron

Hi Ron.

All the disk images are here.

On 10/18/2020 at 10:59 AM, Vorticon said:

Hi Ron.

All the disk images are here.

Vorticon, Thanks for the link! 

I didn't see this posted on this thread, but here is a great page that references plenty of good info on the UCSD P-Code system on the TI 99/4a

http://pascal.hansotten.com/ucsd-p-system/texas-instruments-and-ucsd/

Thanks all!

• Like 2

What a beautiful site.  Thanks. There is a lot of reading there.

I found this by Dick Pountain.   http://pascal.hansotten.com/simplicity/

I remember his name from years back.

He was a big proponent of object oriented extensions to Forth which gave rise to a language called NEON and Yerks Forth.

It was like Smalltalk but with a data stack.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I didn't see this posted on this thread, but here is a great page that references plenty of good info on the UCSD P-Code system on the TI 99/4a

http://pascal.hansotten.com/ucsd-p-system/texas-instruments-and-ucsd/

Interesting to see that apart from the official documentation from TI, he has also chosen to add copies of some of my development efforts for the TI 99/4A UCSD p-system.

• Like 3