IGNORED

WHAT.. the heck. Is this!? "Colecovision-Intellivision Burgertime"

jeremysart

At first I thought this was someone just being an idiot and thinking a super common Colecovision cart was worth gold, but then I looked closer and read the description. Any input on this?

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1607250269641?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=160725026964&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I didnt know where to post this, Intellivision? Colecovision? Auction Central? So CGG will do.

I read this on Intellevisionlives.com

COLECOVISION CARTRIDGE [COLECO #2430]

Based on the Data East arcade game

Programmed at Mattel Electronics, France [MATTEL #7514/UNRELEASED]

CVburger.gifCATALOG DESCRIPTION

As chef PETER PEPPER, you are trying to build terrific hamburgers while menacing hot dogs, pickles and eggs are out to ruin your meal! Based on the arcade game.

DEVELOPMENT HISTORY

The success of Intellivision BurgerTime caused Marketing to ask for the game on every platform possible. This Colecovision version was done at the Mattel office in France. The game was announced at the January, 1984 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Although Mattel Electronics was closed a few weeks later, the French office stayed in business under the name Nice Ideas. They completed BurgerTime, which was distributed by Coleco.

Maybe Nice Ideas thought that was the title of the game?

This must be the prototype version which was done in France before it was turned over to Coleco. There are some differences to the version that was finally released... the sprites are smaller (according to the smaller representation of the mazes), the number of cooks, screens and peppers is shown on the left instead of on the right, the colors are a bit different and there are some bugs which have been removed for the released version.

By the way, they did not do the game on every platform possible... out of the computers, they only did versions for the Apple II and the PC. They left out the TI-99 (done by Data East and Texas Instruments), the C-64 (badly done by Interceptor Software), the Atari 8-bits (not done until much later) and the ZX Spectrum. Of the consoles, they left out the Odyssey^2 (proably not deemed possible), the Creativision (which could have got a version just as fine as the Colecovision one) and the Bally Astrocade (which probalb wasn't popular enough). It's also quite interesting that the mazes on the Colecovision version (also on the prototype) are the same as in the arcade, while on the Intellivision they are different to the arcade.

Duncantoml, thanks for the info concerning this cart being an eColeco release. I never knew that they went the extra mile with such nice label reproductions unless, of course, this was one of the games that they worked together with CBS Software to make availale on cart.

Yes, the rom file has been available from numerous websites dating all the way back to the late 90's.

• 6 months later...

Hi captcapcom. :)

What I meant when I say this cartridge was a fake, is that there are never officially produced Mattel versions of Burger Time by Nice Ideas.

Only Colecos downscaled version exist in a mass produced version.

The sold cartridge was a real reproduction of the real proto ROM, just burned and sold in a new cartridge.

I would never ever give so much for a repro myself. ;-)