IGNORED

PAL60 ROMS

davyK

To be fair, not all PAL ROMs are bad like that. A lot were corrected to PAL with speed adjustments and full screen utilization. Especially Atari and Imagic usually did a good job here. But e.g. Activision's conversion were very bad, so using PAL 60 here is more than justified.

Thanks for the clarification. I got 25 games when i bought my 2600, now when i've looked up these in the database it seems all are actually NTSC carts which explains why some display wrong colours (like a purple background in Pac-Man instead of blue).

As my TV support 60hz (i'm very happy to own a late 4:3 28" CRT TV with 60hz support) i assume my Space Invaders NTSC cart plays at the same speed as my US friend.

Coming from the C64 scene i know alot of games and crack intros / demos is a bitch to either PAL och NTSC fix. Kudos to all making these PAL 60 ROMs available to us PAL land peeps! icon_thumbsup.gif

Here it is: Millipede_PAL60.

I've only changed 2 bytes in the PAL rom.

Wow! - did you just change the timing/scanline count in the PAL ROM then? A lot faster than changing all the colours in the NTSC ROM!!! IS that feasible with any other games?

To be honest I was finding it hard to motivate myself as there would have been a lot of colours to translate!!

You guys really know your stuff....I never cease to be amazed at the tech ability&knowledge in this community - has to be among the best on the web.

Edited by davyK

To be fair, not all PAL ROMs are bad like that. A lot were corrected to PAL with speed adjustments and full screen utilization. Especially Atari and Imagic usually did a good job here. But e.g. Activision's conversion were very bad, so using PAL 60 here is more than justified.

So far I have found Super Breakout and Circus Atari PAL versions to be just as good as the NTSC version (in fact PAL Super Breakout has a larger image).

My disappointment when I found out Kaboom was slower in PAL is what got me interested in this.

Demon Attack and Atlantis are the 2 Imagic games I have worked on so far and they both benefited from speed and size. I'm interested in converting Solar Storm to PAL60 next as the NTSC version runs faster.

Edited by davyK
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just tried out Mr Do! and I'm loving it. To be honest, I didn't even know there was a 2600 version of the game at all so getting to play it first time at 60 Hz is great!

I also just wanted to echo Gurners sentiment and say thank you guys for all these conversions. I really appreciate it. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello everybody, i am new in this forum and registered today. Mostly because of this thread here.

Thanks alot to the people, which made this PAL60 versions here. I have my Atari-2600 since i am 10 years old, which was in 1982, and last year i bought me a Harmony-cartridge. Great product and works great. But in some games it always disturbed me, that they run slower and with a smaller screen on my PAL-console. In the past i didnt recognized this, because i could not compare the games to the NTSC-versions, but since i also play VCS-Games in STELLA, i see the differences in some games. Sometimes the PAL-versions are good, because the programers corrected the differences to the original-NTSC-versions and sometimes they are poor, because of lacking speed and smaller picture. This PAL60-versions here solved all this problems. GREAT !!!

I wanted to ask here, if anybody could please have a look at the following seven games, for making PAL60 versions of it. This would be superb.

- PHOENIX

- ZAXXON

- SMURF

- DECATHLON

- REAL SPORTS TENNIS

- SOLAR FOX

- STAR WARS RETURN OF THE JEDI - DEATH STAR BATTLE

PHOENIX is my favourite game at all on the Atari-VCS2600. Especially for this game it would be great, to have a PAL60 version, which was made out of the NTSC-version of the game. The PAL-version of the game already runs in the same speed and also the screen is completely filled, so its a very good conversion. But because i played this game so much over all the years, i found out, that the PAL-version and the NTSC-version plays a little bit different. The ways that the enemys fly, are a little bit different and this is the interesting thing in having a PAL60-version of this game, which was made out of the NTSC-cartridge. Then i can look, where i break my highscore, in PAL or NTSC version? I already play the NTSC-version of PHOENIX sometimes on my Atari with the Harmony, but it makes only half-fun, when the colors are not correct. Therefore i really hope, that somebody of the experts here, which already knows how to correct the colors, could have a look on this.

Edited by AW127

Wow BATAAIS, that was fast. Thanks alot man!!!

Star Wars - Return of the Jedi - Death Star Battle runs and looks good.

But seems like this Phoenix PAL60 Version runs to fast. When i compare it to the NTSC and PAL versions (which runs with the same speed) it can be seen, that your version runs to fast. Maybe this can be corrected. The colors looks good. Was this PAL60-version made out of the NTSC-version?

Played this PHOENIX PAL60 Version now a little bit and i can feel in playing, that this is the PAL-version, changed to PAL60. And this is the reason why it plays to fast, because the normal PAL-version already has the same speed like the NTSC-versions. The reason, why a PAL60 version of this game is interesting is, because the PAL and NTSC versions play a little bit different. Therefore the PAL60 version should be made out of the NTSC-version.

If the PAL50 version runs at correct speed, why would you want a PAL60 version? :?

But this is already explained in my first post. Edited by AW127

Seems like there are little differences between the versions. For example the most obvious difference is, when Level-2 starts, in the NTSC-version in 50% of the cases the enemies fly first to the right and 50% to the left. In PAL-version it`s very seldom that the fly to the right, they start nearly all the time flying to the left. Found out this by playing this game very often. Also the ways they fly, especially the birds in Level-3 and 4 seem to be a little bit different. In PAL-version i had my fix timing, running and shooting to kill them very quickly. In NTSC-version when i do exactly the same, it dont work killing them in same time. So there are little differences, maybe this is because the programers of this game, change timings in the PAL-game to let it run in same speed like NTSC-version. So there are little timing-differences which influences playing. It`s a very good game and therefore i think, it had deserved a PAL60-version made out of the NTSC-version.

Played this PHOENIX PAL60 Version now a little bit and i can feel in playing, that this is the PAL-version, changed to PAL60. And this is the reason why it plays to fast, because the normal PAL-version already has the same speed like the NTSC-versions. The reason, why a PAL60 version of this game is interesting is, because the PAL and NTSC versions play a little bit different. Therefore the PAL60 version should be made out of the NTSC-version.

But this is already explained in my first post.

To convert this game the NTSC version will need to be disassembled, and have the colors changed. I don't have time to do it at the moment.