IGNORED

PAL60 ROMS

davyK

I created a PAL60 version of Combat from an NTSC version and found that the PAL colours are not just a translation of the NTSC colours. I think the PAL version looks nicer but the NTSC version runs a bit faster so I'm pretty happy with my PAL60 version using the PAL colour values as close as I can get them. I'm not sure if my version is the one included in the zip archive in this thread.

I suspect the Video Olympics PAL60 conversion has been done by changing the frame timing of he PAL version instead of changing colour values of the NTSC version.

Edited by davyK

I created a PAL60 version of Combat from an NTSC version and found that the PAL colours are not just a translation of the NTSC colours. I think the PAL version looks nicer...

True. I also like the PAL colors more in this game. This green background in the NTSC-version hurts the eyes when you play longer. It`s exactly the same in the game "Real Sports Tennis", whose PAL60-version can be found earlier in this thread. Luckily "Omegamatrix" made a "PAL60 v2" version, which has all the advantages at once. The bigger screen and the higher speed of the NTSC-version and the better green colors of the PAL-version.

• 9 months later...

Played it today on my PAL-Atari2600 console. Great, the next good PAL60-version. Thanks for that.

Now if anybody could make PAL60`s of these three games here, i would send him 5,- Euros with Paypal. :)

Space Invaders Arcade

http://atariage.com/...oftwareHackID=6

Vector SI

http://atariage.com/...twareHackID=200

Space Invaders Deluxe

http://atariage.com/...twareHackID=262

Here are Space Invaders Arcade and Vector SI. Rob Kudla didn't change colors, but memory locations ;) Had to revert them back, colors are located at D07-D0E. White doesn't shine on PAL machines as on NTSC..

Maybe Nukey Shay can do a PAL60 of his Deluxe Invaders? Maybe I will if I find the time. Happy New Year!

spchack3_PAL60.bin

VectorSI_Hack_PAL60.bin

• Like 1

Thanks alot bataais. Now i can play these great hacks finally on my PAL-console with correct colors.

Just a beg i have to this versions. In the NTSC-versions of "Space Invaders Arcade" and "Vector Space Invaders" the aliens have the color white. In the PAL60 versions here they are light-grey. Can you please change this light-grey color to white, cause white looks much better here. And in "Space Invaders Deluxe", which i know is much more effort because much more colors are used, the aliens looks good for a quick-hack. Good work. I would only change the orange color, which the three shields on the gound have, to a red color. In the NTSC-original, this color is a red one and in the PAL60 version it`s orange. The color of the alien-ship which flys from right to left on the top of the screen from time to time, also differs in color (in NTSC-version it`s red, here some kind of a light-green), but this is not so important, cause it's not constantly on the screen. So this is manageable. More important would be to change the orange color to red, cause the shields are always on the screen, then it's okay.

And i stand by my word, if you give me your paypal-adress per pm, i sent you 5 Euros. :)

Happy new year too and thanks for these three new PAL60 versions.

I'm sorry but there's no white on the PAL console, only the same 0E, which is more of a grey. look here: http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-tia-color-charts.html#ntsc_pal_color_conversion

In Space Invaders Deluxe I changed the alien-ship and the shields to a somewhat more red color (64, although it goes into purple).

I'll try to send you my paypal-adress later.

SpaceInvadersDeluxe_Hack_PAL60_edit.bin

Thanks for the upgrade to Space Invaders Deluxe. There must be a brighter color to this light-grey in the PAL60 versions of "SI Arcade" and "SI Vector" hack, because of the simple fact, that when i play the NTSC-originals of those two hacks on my PAL-Atari-console, then the Invaders still have the same white color, only the rest of the colors are wrong, but the alien-color is still the same white-looking color. So, when this alien-color would be left like it was in the NTSC original, it is also okay in the PAL60 version.

Look here at the pictures to see what i mean.

post-41260-0-29151800-1514829142_thumb.png

On the left the original NTSC-version how it looks when it runs on a PAL-console and on the right side the new PAL60-version when it runs on a PAL-console. The color of the aliens in the left picture is at least one step brighter and looks like a normal white in STELLA and also on my real PAL-console, while the aliens on the right picture look light a light-grey in the emulator and also on my TV when i load it on the real PAL-Atari console. So there must be a brighter and more white looking color also in the PAL palette.

Please have a look at this last point, then it`s perfect.

FYI Space Invaders Deluxe uses the color/b&w switch to change between NTSC and PAL60 (7800 autodetect enabled).

Oooh man, indeed. :-o Never knew that this is possible in this rom. Well, now the user can switch between PAL60 and PAL60. :) Good thing on the new version, PAL-users don`t need to play around with their color/bw-switch before. *lol*

Edited by AW127

• 1 month later...

Being from sunny Scotland (PAL region!) and being a framerate snob, this is my favourite thread on this forum.

I just wanted to say thank you to all those devs and hackers who take the time (and interest!) to create these wonderful PAL60 versions. Thank you. :)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Today i played "Dig Dug" on my PAL Atari console for about one hour. First the normal PAL version (PAL50), then the PAL60 Version which exists for some time and is included here in the 202 PAL60 games

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/193459-pal60-roms/page-11?do=findComment&comment=3201559

The PAL60 version of the game i like more, because it's faster, the normal PAL version sadly is not speed-adjusted. Only bad thing is, that this PAL60 version has the same strange earth-colors than the normal PAL version has. In the NTSC version it looks much better.

Here i have two pictures for comparison. On the left pic, the colors of the PAL and PAL60 version can be seen and on the right side the NTSC colors.

post-41260-0-00937800-1538949694.png

Why they use a very similar brown color for earth-depth level 1 and 3 in PAL version, while depth level 2 for example is much darker and is in the middle of the two. This looks very strange in my opinion. In NTSC version it looks harmonic and earth-colors are much nicer.

I wanted to ask, if anybody of the conversion-pro's could please have a look and built a better looking PAL60 version, which has the earth-colors more similar to the NTSC-original ot the game? The PAL-color-palette should have the appropriate colors for this, i think.

Edited by AW127

There's a color table at $B100 in the second bank (i.e. offset $1100, decimal 4352 if you are using a bit hacker). I honestly don't know why they chose different hues. The red ($3x) shades used in the NTSC version has PAL counterparts ($4x).

Dig Dug (PAL60_dirt).bin

Dig Dug(PAL_dirt).bin

• Like 2

Thanks alot "Nukey" for bringing the colors from the PAL-versions in the correct order now. Much better now.

Just one little wish still - can the two red earth-colors be made a little bit stronger red in this two versions, similar to the NTSC one? In the PAL versions it still looks more brownish than redish.

Addendum to the new "Dig Dug" PAL-60 Version. My mistake, the red colors are correct in NUKEY`S version.

Problem was, that i used the "older" Stella PAL-Palette which has a strange brownish red-color. On my real PAL Atari console and also with the PAL-palette that THOMAS released here

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/272667-mappy/page-9?do=findComment&comment=4040905

the red color is good. Nukey`s new PAL versions of "Dig Dug" looks like the NTSC counterpart of the game now. Great !!! At least in the first levels of the game it`s similar. In later levels, when the dirt-colors change to greenish, the colors are not adapted until now it seems, here they look different.

PAL-users really should use these newer PAL-palette in STELLA, it looks much more like the real PAL console than the old one does. In old PAL-palette some colors looks totally washed out and all red colors looks brownish.

To do this:

- copy the file "Stella272a.pal" into the Stella "palette" folder

- go into Stella Menue, choose Options / Config Paths / Palette File and choose the Stella272a.pal file there

- then go into Options / Video Settings / TIA palette and choose "User"

- you can also switch the color-palettes (standard / z26 / user) on the fly by pressing "CTRL+P" (Strg+P) while a game runs, then the differences can be seen good

At least for "Stella 5.0.2" this is the case. Don`t know if the newer and more realistic PAL-palette has found the way into the newer Stella versions as the standard palette, cause i have not updated to newest version at the moment? But it would make sense, to make this user PAL-palette the standard PAL-palette.

Edited by AW127

• 7 months later...

Here is my "stella.pro" file, packed as a zip-file, in the attachement.

Players which want, that the 202 PAL60 games from the compilation on this thread-side 11 (entry #264) start with the right colors in STELLA inherently, should open this file with a text-editor and copy the whole content of it, at the end of their stella.pro file. You can find your stella.pro file in your Stella "properties" folder.

Without these entries, the most PAL60 ROMS start with NTSC-colors naturally and they must be changed in STELLA manually one by one (in Game-Properties / Display / Format). It's easier and alot faster to simply copy this content here. But don't rename the PAL60-files later, cause when you do, you must change the colors for every renamed ROM again.

stella.zip

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Being the proud new owner of a Harmony Encore (I know, I know, what took me so long) I would really love to have a PAL60 version of Pac-Man 8K. This port is amazing but I just wish I could get the right colors for it. These homebrew ports are breathing new life in my trusty old six-switcher. I wouldn't have dreamt of a 2600 version of Galaga back in the day. And now we've got one that is even better than the 7800 port.

Back on topic: Maybe there already is a PAL60 version of Pac-Man8K and I just didn't find it. Any help would be appreciated...

• 4 weeks later...

Can this thread not be pinned? Would make sense i think. Not exactly an unimportant thread for users in PAL countries.  :) 

By the way, there exists already a PAL60 version of V6 of "Pac-Man 8k", look here:

Only the later versions exists only in NTSC until now.

Edited by AW127
  • Like 1