IGNORED

PAL60 ROMS

davyK

4 minutes ago, marauder666 said:

If you report to ebay an item not as described, ebay will give you a return mailing label, and the fee will be charged to the seller.

They do in the UK, not sure of Germany, but suspect it's the same.

Thanks - will try. Seller said „you can send it back but at your cost“ - so will do through eBay. Seller is willing to do a refund (5$) ? but…

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/24/2023 at 7:18 PM, davyK said:

Hard to believe I started this thread 11 years ago.....using a disassembly of Kaboom! that was created by @DEBRO  :)

I've been playing (and loving!) the ROMs in this thread all weekend on my PAL 6 switcher. Thanks to everyone who made the conversions, I don't have to buy a NTSC console to enjoy these games as they were intended! ☺️

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 11:52 AM, davyK said:

Maybe someone has already done it, but it would be good to trawl this thread and create a single archive of the PAL60 ROMs.

I did this eight years ago, look at page 11 here in this thread, my entry from 20. March 2015. Almost all files, that came out until then, are included there. Individually, you only have to download those then, that came out in the thread afterwards.

Edited by AW127
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Greetings everyone,

has anyone created a PAL60 version of the following?:

- Bobby is Going Home

- California Games

- Circus Atari

- Crystal Castles

- Defender 2

- Elevator Action

- Frogger

- Frogs and Flies

- Galaxian

- Halloween

- Kangaroo

- King Kong

- Megamania

- Moon Patrol

- Raiders of the Lost Ark

- River Raid 2

- Universal Chaos

- Vanguard

- Video Pinball

Kind regards.

DK

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There are really alot of PAL60 conversions in the meantime, but on the other side, there is also a really big amount of games, for which there is no PAL60 version yet. A tool, that can automatically find the color-palette in a PAL or NTSC game-rom and then accordingly replace it with the other in each case, would be superb. But it will probably be very difficult to implement something like that, i guess, because often more than just the colors must be changed and some of these PAL60 versions here, were made out of NTSC roms, but some others out of normal PAL roms and these two production-ways, then differ greatly when creating a PAL60 rom, right?

A question for the programmers here - is there a chance, that at least one of these two paths could be automated by a tool, or are all the game-roms too different from each other, that a tool could do this? How is the chance? Can anyone say more about this?

On 11/30/2019 at 11:28 PM, MaxAlex8421 said:

EDIT : found "2 Pak Special - Dolphin, Pigs N Wolf" meanwhile, works with the right colors and 50hz speed (which is somehow nice for a more relaxing game !). But if someone is still interested converting Dolphin NTSC to PAL60, would be interesting !

Agree the PAL versions can be more relaxing than their NTSC/PAL60 counterparts.

I was working on an Atari 2600 emulator for the Commodore 64 that can automatically switch the framerate between PAL and NTSC/PAL60 and noticed this same phenomena.

It's particularly apparent comparing PAL and NTSC versions of ARKANOID AIR DOH which was designed to have a languid relaxing pace.

To try it out all you need is a PAL C64 and the emulators framerate will dynamically change, here is the thread with the Atari and C64 binaries:

On 7/18/2023 at 3:36 AM, AW127 said:

A question for the programmers here - is there a chance, that at least one of these two paths could be automated by a tool, or are all the game-roms too different from each other, that a tool could do this? How is the chance? Can anyone say more about this?

The two methods are :

1. Start with a PAL version and change the page timing.  This is a lot faster to code but it may not work with all games. I suspect it's to do with the number of scanlines a games uses and/or how many cycles the game uses between frames.

2. Start with an NTSC version and change the colour/color values. This can take a lot longer. It's how I did the ones I created.

There wouldn't be any way of automating method 2 since games are all coded in different ways. Some have colour tables and others have the "hard-coded" colour values in the code - some use both techniques. There might be a way of scanning down the assembly and automatically changing the code with method 1.

Edited by davyK

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2023 at 12:17 AM, davyK said:

There wouldn't be any way of automating method 2 since games are all coded in different ways. Some have colour tables and others have the "hard-coded" colour values in the code - some use both techniques. There might be a way of scanning down the assembly and automatically changing the code with method 1.

I see. Then it won't be possible unfortunately, to implement it with a tool that works automatically. At least not for most game-roms, but maybe for a few. Too bad, somehow. :)

• 7 months later...

As someone who has just got a Harmony cart and lives in the UK I am very grateful for this thread, thanks to everyone who has worked on these conversions.  I am still going through all the pages and will download them all. 

A question, are there PAL60 versions of Polaris, Sub Scan and Gas Hog out there?

11 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I am still going through all the pages and will download them all.

Here in this entry

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/193459-pal60-roms/?do=findComment&comment=3201559

i had put together all of the PAL60 ROMS of the first 10 pages of the thread. Together they were 202 ROMs in this archive. Then you just need to browse the pages behind it.

11 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

A question, are there PAL60 versions of Polaris, Sub Scan and Gas Hog out there?

"Sub Scan" and "Gas Hog" are already in the linked archive. "Polaris" not, so far.

------------------------------------------------------------------

And one thing more. A good PAL60 version of "Zaxxon" would be great too. There is one in this PAL60 ROM-archive, but this one runs faster, than the normal NTSC-version of "Zaxxon". Maybe one of the PAL60 ROM-creators can take a look at it?

Edited by AW127
  • Thanks 1