Photo

PAL60 ROMS

344 replies to this topic

#126 bataais OFFLINE  

bataais

Star Raider

• 63 posts

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:08 AM

As for the playfield, the value is #$86 at adress A19, there's a BNE LFA23 that skips the #$50.

#127 alex_79 OFFLINE  

alex_79

Stargunner

• 1,216 posts

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:52 AM

I tried the PAL60 conversion of Tapper posted by Omegamatrix on real hardware and I got a flickering screen on my TV. By looking at the stella debugger, I noticed that, every other frame, VSYNC is turned off at cycle 41 instead of the beginning of the scanline (cycle 3) and apparently the TV set I use for gaming doesn't like that.
To fix it I moved the instruction "stx WSYNC" at address $F91D in bank 2 to address $F928, so it happens just before  VSYNC is turned off.
Attached File  Tapper (PAL60) fixed.bin   8KB   98 downloads
Attached File  tp60fix.asm   208.04KB   56 downloads

Also I converted Gremlings some time ago. Here it is if someone is interested.
Attached File  Gremlins (Gargoyle) (1984) (Atari) (PAL60 Conversion).bin   8KB   89 downloads

Attached File  gremlins.asm   173.14KB   44 downloads

#128 alex_79 OFFLINE  

alex_79

Stargunner

• 1,216 posts

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:23 AM

BTW after looking more closely, the original NTSC version of Tapper seems to  purposely enable and disable VSYNC on cycle 41 every other frame. Storing to VSYNC register takes 3 cycles, so the operation starts at cycle 38 which is exactly in the middle of a scanline. This could indicate that the programmer intention was to generate an interlaced signal, albeit the scanline count was wrong and the resulting "fields" had 261.5 scanlines each instead of 262.5 which should be the NTSC standard.

Edited by alex_79, Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:25 AM.

#129 maiki OFFLINE  

maiki

Dragonstomper

• 695 posts

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:09 PM

Thanks batais. Your help is invaluable. So, here are all the changes I made and a possibly correct PAL 60 conversion:

Jetman 1k PAL 60 Hack v1

================================
red PLAYER 1

A9 42 85 07
42 replaced with 62
blue PLAYFIELD

A9 86
86 replaced with D6
pink PLAYFIELD (spacecraft filled up and leaves the screen)

A9 50 85 08
50 replaced with 80
pink PLAYFIELD (fuel collected - portion of spacecraft filled)

address A82 (FA82?)

A2 50
50 replaced with 80
green BACKGROUND (bottom of the screen)

A9 C6 85 09
C6 replaced with 56
shading BACKGROUND (top of the screen) - seems to change every 2 stages - colors table

address ADF (LFADF?)

1F 2F 4F 5F 6F 7F 8F CF

replaced with

2F 4f 6F 8F AF CF DF 5F

note: 2F - 4F replacement estimated by me; conversion tool suggests 2F - 2F meaning no change in tone in PAL

additional questions:

I don't understand what is going on here but replacing the #$50 with 80 works. This is when fuel item is collected and part of the spacecraft filled with pink.

address A82 (FA82?):

LDX #$50
CPY ram_D0
BCC LFA89

jumps to

AA2:

BEQ LFA97 '--> PLAYFIELD turn pink...

Attached Files

#130 bataais OFFLINE  

bataais

Star Raider

• 63 posts

Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:14 AM

well done, maiki.

I think there's a bug in the stella debugger, it shouldn't jump to AA2. PC is shown correctly.

The tricky part is here:

with your #$80 in X

FA86  BCC LFA89                      90 01                <--    jumps to LFA89, this is 86 08 (STX COLUPF)

FA88  BIT ram_86|$800             2C 86 08

#131 alex_79 OFFLINE  

alex_79

Stargunner

• 1,216 posts

Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:30 AM

A few more  quick conversions:

Attached File  Extra Terrestrials (PAL60).bin   4KB   96 downloads

Attached File  Video Life (PAL60).bin   2KB   92 downloads

Attached File  Wizard (PAL60).bin   2KB   94 downloads

#132 maiki OFFLINE  

maiki

Dragonstomper

• 695 posts

Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:46 PM

Many thanks for the Video Life. It is on my list.

#133 alex_79 OFFLINE  

alex_79

Stargunner

• 1,216 posts

Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:29 PM

maiki, I see you have "Man goes down" in your list, but that game has NTSC, PAL and PAL60 support built in. In the title screen press SELECT to change the TV format. If you have an AtariVox or a Savekey plugged in the right controller port the game will use the default TV format stored in the eeprom header, else it will start in NTSC mode.

#134 maiki OFFLINE  

maiki

Dragonstomper

• 695 posts

Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:00 PM

Good to know. I like that OSD effect when you switch.

Here is Lander PAL 60 (Lander by Bastian Framke from 2008). It was rather easy, only 3 fixed colors used I think. Simple but addictive game. Reminds me of Jupiter Lander on the Commodore 64.

address 5B8 - yellow playfield (1E - 2E); address 663 - pink player 0 (saucer) (5A - 8A); address 667 - green player 1 (landing ground) (CE - 5E)

address 4E8 - does not seem to be used (player 1); address 4EC - the same (playfield) - I did not change these 2

Attached Files

Edited by maiki, Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:02 PM.

#135 maiki OFFLINE  

maiki

Dragonstomper

• 695 posts

Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:20 AM

As for the Lander, there should probably be a starting screen that does not show up in Stella but on a real TV it pops up for a short moment and then a blank screen... It might be related to why there are the other colors set at 4E8 and 4EC (?). I will try to have a look at it later. 

Edited by maiki, Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:21 AM.

#136 maiki OFFLINE  

maiki

Dragonstomper

• 695 posts

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:33 PM

Can somebody please tell me where Home Run gets the color codes, and where does it store them into RAM? I am trying to understand things a bit more.

http://www.atarimani...-run_18209.html

#137 alex_79 OFFLINE  

alex_79

Stargunner

• 1,216 posts

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:50 PM

BW palette:
$f6f4 P0
$f6f5 P1
$f6f6 PF
$f6f7 BK

Color palette:
$f6f8 P0
$f6f9 P1
$f6fa PF
$f6fb BK

Those values are then stored in ram $A6 - $A9

The BW palette is masked with the value #$0F (with the "AND #$0F" instruction at $f37c), so you always get greyscale because only the luma part is used. You can change that by replacing $0F with $FF at location $f37d.

#138 bataais OFFLINE  

bataais

Star Raider

• 63 posts

Posted Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:40 AM

Some time ago, 'Secret Quest' was on a wish list. I did start a PAL60 conversion then but did't post the rom.

The ingame works at 262 scanlines (NTSC speed & fullscreen), while the game menu screen is still in PAL (50hz).

Attached Files

#139 Omegamatrix OFFLINE  

Omegamatrix

Quadrunner

• 6,241 posts

Posted Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:05 PM

Here is Tomarc the Barbarian. I spent a lot of time fixing the erratic scanline count, but it should be good now. I gave it a real good color conversion taking care of the color scrolling on the title screen and color scrolling on the victory background flash. I'm also including an NTSC version here with the scanline count fixed.

Attached File  TomarcTheBarbarian(re).zip   41.47KB   82 downloads

For those that are interested in using Sega Genesis controllers here is the 2 button hack I just posted:

http://atariage.com/...lers/?p=2876944

#140 maiki OFFLINE  

maiki

Dragonstomper

• 695 posts

Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013 12:04 PM

Many many thanks. I am about to investigate Home Run and try Tomarc The Barbarian. Thank you Omegamatrix. Thank you Batais.

#141 Gurner OFFLINE  

Gurner

Star Raider

• 97 posts

Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013 6:09 PM

These are awesome.

Any future PAL 60 conversions will be gratefully downloaded.   :)

#142 Gurner OFFLINE  

Gurner

Star Raider

• 97 posts

Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013 11:23 PM

Just been playing the 2600 PAL version of the classic Mr Do! – it's slow to the point of being unplayable after playing the arcade version and the music really drags its feet at 50hz.

A great game when in a Dig Dug kind of mood.

#143 maiki OFFLINE  

maiki

Dragonstomper

• 695 posts

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:25 PM

OK, here is a quick and blind color hack of a newly discovered gem by John W. Champeau: Avalanche. It might need someone to check my work as it is possible I did something not needed, wrong or missed something.

Here is the original NTSC version:

http://atariage.com/...attach_id=81342

Here is my PAL 60 version:

changed values at address F9C (86, C6, 40 and 80) ???

changed values at address F8A (A6, AA, 36, 3A, 18, 1C) ???

changed value at address 6F1 (36)

changed values at addresses 705 and 790 (86)

I was in a dilemma of shading of the rocks because on a LCD screen in Stella the colors are always displayed quite wrong  off compared to real CRT TV and there was hardly any difference between A6/AA - 36/3A color shades in PAL. But I checked on the real thing and it looks pretty much how the author wanted it to be I guess (meaning yellow - "orange red" - "cyan blue"). Too bad I haven't got paddles yet so cannot enjoy the game on my 2600 right now.

Attached Files

#144 Gurner OFFLINE  

Gurner

Star Raider

• 97 posts

Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:39 AM

Bump  :)

Was wondering if anyone with the skills is interested in creating some more PAL 60 ROMs?

I've been playing the ones I have endlessly!

#145 davyK OFFLINE  

davyK

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 464 posts

Posted Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:59 PM

Was looking to get back into this and was going to look at Super Breakout. However I have the PAL cartridge and it looks like the PAL version may be superior to the NTSC version. The display area is noticeably bigger and there doesn't seem to be any reduction  in speed. I thought at first that maybe the initial slower ball speed was a bit slower in PAL than in NTSC - but after running a few games alternating betwen versions (using Romhunters NTSC ROM on my Harmony) I don't think that is the case - and maybe the PAL slow ball feels a tiny bit slower because the display is larger. I cannot detect any difference in speed between versions once the ball speeds up.

I thought I read something about a bug in the PAL version when sometimes the ball jumps off the bat in a strange fashion - but maybe that was on the original Breakout cartridge? I certainly haven't spotted it after playing several games with my PAL cartridge.

Anyone know if Super Breakout was officially given PAL optimisation? Seems to be the way as far as I can see from playing it.

Edited by davyK, Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:07 PM.

#146 Gurner OFFLINE  

Gurner

Star Raider

• 97 posts

Posted Tue Apr 1, 2014 2:31 AM

Would be awesome if you did look at some more of these, good onya!  :-D

Was looking to get back into this and was going to look at Super Breakout. However I have the PAL cartridge and it looks like the PAL version may be superior to the NTSC version. The display area is noticeably bigger and there doesn't seem to be any reduction  in speed. I thought at first that maybe the initial slower ball speed was a bit slower in PAL than in NTSC - but after running a few games alternating betwen versions (using Romhunters NTSC ROM on my Harmony) I don't think that is the case - and maybe the PAL slow ball feels a tiny bit slower because the display is larger. I cannot detect any difference in speed between versions once the ball speeds up.

I thought I read something about a bug in the PAL version when sometimes the ball jumps off the bat in a strange fashion - but maybe that was on the original Breakout cartridge? I certainly haven't spotted it after playing several games with my PAL cartridge.

Anyone know if Super Breakout was officially given PAL optimisation? Seems to be the way as far as I can see from playing it.

#147 Gurner OFFLINE  

Gurner

Star Raider

• 97 posts

Posted Sun May 11, 2014 1:03 AM

Does anyone know of a PAL 60 ROM of Millipede?

Great game, but I only play Centipede (PAL 60) as it has full speed and full screen height!

#148 davyK OFFLINE  

davyK

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 464 posts

Posted Mon May 12, 2014 3:49 PM

Need to "warm up" again to this....have been PHP coding this last few months.

Anyhow before I would tackle something that might be tough like Centipede I thought I would do some of my favourite paddle games to get me back into using the tools again (had forgot how to get into the Stella debugger!!!)

Here's PAL60 Breakout. The display isn't any bigger but the speed difference is significant. This was pretty easy to do as the brick colours are located just where I thought they would be - a little series of bytes in the data section at the end of the disassembly. Usual drill - de-assemble it using DiStella, - id the colour values using Stella and then use - randomterrain's colour conversion to get the replacement values to type into the ASM - and there we go - a nice and snappy version of PAL Breakout.. I like this version because of the 2 vs 2 team variations. Pity Atari didn't include that option in Super Breakout.

http://www.davykelly...eakoutPAL60.bin

Not sure if Super Breakout is worth doing next as I'm not sure there is a speed increase - in fact the PAL version might be superior as it has a larger display (see my post above). Might do it anyhow. Also have Solar Storm in my sights which is one of my favourites - but of course it will probably take longer as it's an Imagic game and their great use of colour means lots of values to be identified!! Haven't spotted a PAL60 version of Circus Atari around either - may tackle that one next.

Thumbs up to the developer of Avalanche and whoever was kind enough to post a PAL60 version. Really nice game.

Edited by davyK, Mon May 12, 2014 4:09 PM.

#149 Gurner OFFLINE  

Gurner

Star Raider

• 97 posts

Posted Tue May 13, 2014 1:19 AM

Nice one Davy, any PAL 60s you make are hugely appreciated :)

Centipede is available as PAL 60, but not Millipede.

#150 Rab OFFLINE  

Rab

Space Invader

• 17 posts

Posted Tue May 13, 2014 1:46 AM

Hi Gurner,

Where can I find the pal 60 version of Centipede mate? Thanks for your help ;0)

Sockboy

Scotland

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users