IGNORED

PAL60 ROMS

davyK

Hello Atarians, sorry if my english is bad, I'm still trying to practice it.

I was looking through this post, and I wanted to make a request, if possible. You see, I've an Atari 7800 modded HDMI, thing is it's a PAL B model and I live in France.

One game I especially like is Dolphin, after many attempts (real cartridge, Harmony, analysing situation for volt/hz, electronic stuff, forums, searching on Google), it seems the only way I could experience it with the right colors is through a PAL60 modified rom like you did with other games.

But... it seems no one did it yet ! So my request would be :

Is there a kind person that can make the Dolphin game NTSC to PAL60 with the right colors ? I would give a huge thanks if possible.

The logo is missing in the HES rom, but these are the color values used.  Some are not 1:1 comparable to the NTSC hues.

Comparing files Dolphin(NTSC).bin and Dolphin(PAL).bin
F04D: 88 B8
F051: 1E 2E
F18A: 96 B6
F190: 92 B2
F1B8: 80 B0
F1DA: 80 B0
F1EE: 96 B6
F1F4: 92 B2
F2E4: 38 28
F7A2: 80 B0
F7A5: C6 E6
FBB0: 82 92
FBB1: 18 28
FBB2: 28 48
FBB3: 28 48
FBB4: 38 68
FBB5: 38 68
FBB6: 48 88
FBB7: 48 88
FBB8: 58 A8
FBB9: 58 A8
FBBA: 68 C8
FBBB: 68 C8
FBBC: 78 B8
FBCC: C4 54
FBCD: CC 5C
FD6D: 1E 2E
FECA: 18 28
FECB: 88 BA
FECC: C8 78
FECF: 86 B6
FED0: 4C 6C
FED2: EC 2C
FEDA: 12 22
FEDB: 44 64
FEEB: CA 7A
FEEC: 4A 6A

Region timing values:
F395: 1F 36
F648: 30 54

The last 2 changes shown converted the 262 scanline playfield into 312 (60hz vs 50hz).  Sprite timing is not altered from the NTSC version, so 50hz runs a little slower.  As you say, "more relaxing".

All other byte changes are related to the missing logo and the multicart Bankswitch routine.

Dolphin (pal60).bin

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I upgraded my slotless 128-in-1 Atari Darth-Vader clone with an EEPROM and put some 2k/4k PAL60 games on it. Haunted House wouldn't work correctly, so I found a fixed version, and converted it, together with some others. Here they are. Caverns (homebrew) is an amazing game in only 2k! Have fun.

MarineWars_PAL60.bin Caverns_PAL60.bin Lock 'n' Chase_PAL60.bin Haunted House[fixed]_PAL60.bin Q-bert_PAL60.bin Marauder_PAL60.bin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pink Panther seems not that difficult to convert, mostly load immediate and store in the color regs, but very time comsuming..

In the meantime here are Tutankham (PAL50 colors and my "artistic licence" version) and Riddle of the Sphinx.

Tutankham (1983)_PAL60.bin Tutankham (1983)_PAL60a.bin Riddle of the Sphinx (1982)_PAL60.bin

Edited by bataais
spinx
  • Like 5

Nice that something is happening again here in the thread. Thanks for all these new PAL60 versions, bataais. For PAL-console users, this is always a great thing.

One question. Is a PAL60 version of ZAXXON possible for you? The original PAL50 version already seems to be speed-adjusted and runs in a similar speed than the NTSC version, but the picture is smaller because of the typical PAL borders. Therefore a PAL60 version, made out of the NTSC version with colors adjusted, would be great.

There exists an older PAL60 version of the game, but it runs too fast. Probably it was created from the already speed-adjusted PAL50 version and is therefore too fast now.

• 2 months later...

Today a C64-port of the Atari-2600 game "Thunderground" came out

https://arlagames.itch.io/thunderground-c64

https://csdb.dk/release/?id=205883

Played this game a little bit und i really liked it.

I didn't knew this game so far on the Atari and wanted to try the original game on my PAL Atari console some hours ago, but i can not find a PAL-version of this game, that has correct colors. In my Atari ROM-archiv, i found one version, that has PAL written inside the ROM-name, but when i start it, colors are wrong and they look exactly the same, as when i start the NTSC-ROM of the game with STELLA in PAL60-mode. So this is not really a PAL ROM.

Does anyone know, if a PAL version of the game exists or can anybody adjust the colors of the NTSC ROM, so that it can be used on PAL-consoles with the Harmony as a PAL60 game?

Edited by AW127

On 5/12/2021 at 8:46 AM, bataais said:

Pink Panther seems not that difficult to convert, mostly load immediate and store in the color regs, but very time comsuming..

In the meantime here are Tutankham (PAL50 colors and my "artistic licence" version) and Riddle of the Sphinx.

Tutankham (1983)_PAL60.bin 8 kB · 16 downloads Tutankham (1983)_PAL60a.bin 8 kB · 15 downloads Riddle of the Sphinx (1982)_PAL60.bin 4 kB · 16 downloads

Has anyone converted Pursuit of the Pink Panther to PAL 60 yet as can't find it anywhere on Atari Age but was told that it's already been converted to PAL? 

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a chance to make a PAL60 version of PESCO? For my taste this is a great PAC-Man clone and no PAL version seems to be available (you can download a SECAM version with not correct colors at atarimania.com and the Version in the AtariAge Store is NTSC only). 

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-pesco_14943.html

P.S.: If there is still a copyright or something like this please ignore this ?

On 8/17/2021 at 10:04 PM, Bomberman94 said:

Is there a chance to make a PAL60 version of PESCO? For my taste this is a great PAC-Man clone and no PAL version seems to be available (you can download a SECAM version with not correct colors at atarimania.com and the Version in the AtariAge Store is NTSC only). 

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-pesco_14943.html

P.S.: If there is still a copyright or something like this please ignore this ?

Found an original cartridge on eBay (instruction says „PAL - NTSC“ so maybe switchable in the game) and bought it. Hopefully I get a PAL version now ?‍♂️

Here‘s the link from the auction:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/atari-2600-homebrew-pesco-von-ebivision-/252900395672?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

On 8/20/2021 at 5:54 PM, Bomberman94 said:

Found an original cartridge on eBay (instruction says „PAL - NTSC“ so maybe switchable in the game) and bought it. Hopefully I get a PAL version now ?‍♂️

Here‘s the link from the auction:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/atari-2600-homebrew-pesco-von-ebivision-/252900395672?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Received my „PAL“ version today and it doesn’t support PAL - colors are wrong and picture is wobbling. Instruction of PESCO says „PESCO runs on NTSC systems. It may work on PAL machines, though the color schemes may vary. Note that this mode has not been tested.“ so I spent about 40$ for nothing…

Here‘s a picture of the actual gameplay:

6A2D1652-423E-40F9-84FB-4B326F672BDD.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Bomberman94 said:

Received my „PAL“ version today and it doesn’t support PAL - colors are wrong and picture is wobbling. Instruction of PESCO says „PESCO runs on NTSC systems.

That's frustrating about the auction claiming it supported PAL when it does not. There's a hack by Nukey that makes a lot of changes, but also adds PAL/PAL60 versions. This post should have the latest version of that, in case it suits your needs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Karl G said:

That's frustrating about the auction claiming it supported PAL when it does not. There's a hack by Nukey that makes a lot of changes, but also adds PAL/PAL60 versions. This post should have the latest version of that, in case it suits your needs.

Many thanks Karl - will study this thread and check the various versions ?. I already know a „Ms. Pac Man / Ebivision Hack“ what is really amazing. So i will continue dream of a proper version of the original PESCO ?

6 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I would return it, the seller made false promises.

Yes Thomas I tried to find an agreement but shipping it back will cost at least 37 Euro ?. I‘m frustrated - if anyone of you guys is interested in an original NTSC PESCO cartridge with instruction I only want shipping costs and it is yours ?

Edited by Bomberman94