IGNORED

PAL60 ROMS

davyK

Does the Telegames US version of Bump 'n Jump count as PAL 60? It plays fine on US TVs, but seems to have the PAL colors. It's definitely different from the PAL ROM since I tried it on harmony and had a rolling screen, which didn't happen with my actual cart.

Thanks bataais for the new version of Beamrider. I'm looking forward to trying it out later. :)

@ BrianC; I've never heard of that. I suppose if it's using the PAL palette and it runs at 60Hz then I would qualify it as PAL60. It's pretty unusual though to see on a commercial cart. Telegames are such a strange company for such things though. Funnily enough I just got Urban Yeti for the GBA brand new this morning. The box is the PAL release but the cart is the US one... :?

That's very strange about the Telegames Bump 'n' Jump. It's an 8K rom, while the original M Network / INTV is a 16K (E7) cart with additional 2x 1K RAM.

BrianC, if your cart looks like the attached rom, then you have a rare PAL60 cart ;)

cool. Thanks. That is exactly what my cart looks like.

Funnily enough I just got Urban Yeti for the GBA brand new this morning. The box is the PAL release but the cart is the US one... :?

Do you mean it has a US style label, or that it plays on US systems? GBA has no region protection, so the game itself may be exactly the same. However, if it's the former, it could be a bootleg.

Edited by BrianC

I wonder what the case is with the 8k ROMs for Telegames games. Burgertime PAL seems to be 8k as well. I heard M-Network Burgertime wasn't as optimized as much as it could have been, so maybe they were able to fit the whole game in 8k bankswitching?

Did you just hack the PAL ROM, or is that the actual Telegames ROM? I don't mean anything by this, it's just that it behaves exactly like the cart, right down to the slightly sped up music.

Edited by BrianC

Thanks for the above ROMs. :)

Just a question though. I've tried out Beamrider v4 on a couple of tellys but the picture rolls on both of them. They're both old 14" CRT's and they have no problem with other games. Is anyone else having this issue?

@PFL, maybe it's because beamrider_v4 has 274 instead of 262 scanlines. I have no problems on my old philips CRT.

There are 2 ways to convert a rom to PAL60:

1. Taking the NTSC rom and changing all the color values to the corresponding PAL ones. This can be difficult. You have to find all the color code locations.

2. Taking the PAL rom and changing the amount of scanlines. Mostly by chaning the TIM64T values. Colors are already in PAL palette. This can be easy, but sometimes it's not enough to only change the timer..

Beamrider NTSC and PAL differ in more than 290 bytes. My fist attempt was to spot all the colors and adjust them to PAL. But as there are so many,

I missed some of them. My second attempt was to change the timer, but I reduced it too much, getting an unstable image. V4 has this problem solved, but because of the Activision-logo there are now 274 scanlines..

The version below is a hack of V4, I had to get rid of the Activision-logo and making the life indicator ships smaller. It runs now with 262 scanlines, at 60 Hz. I think Beamrider PAL is speed-adjusted, so this version may well be faster than even the original NTSC Beamrider.

I hope it works now on your older CRTs. ;)

Beamrider_PAL60_hack.bin

To my knowledge this is the first attempt at converting a PAL60 version of Spy Hunter.

And yet another version of Demon Attack, changing only 3 bytes in the original PAL rom.

I have now converted 30 roms to PAL60 in one week and will take a break for a while.

Have fun.

BASICProgramming_PAL60.bin

Cosmic Ark_PAL60.bin

Demon Attack_PAL60.bin

Outlaw_PAL60.bin

Spy Hunter_PAL60.bin

Warlords_PAL60.bin

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome stuff so far guys

Any chance of Pal 60 versions of:

DigDug

Commando

HERO

Joust

Mario Bros

Pole Position

Secret Quest

Wizard of Wor

? If not then is there a place to look up so Ican see how to change NTSC into PAL60? :)

Thanks guys!

Thank you, I'm very new to all this so I'm going to have a read and see. It seems quite complicated so everyones effort is truly appreciated!

One thing I noticed testing these games on STELLA, the colours aren't matching their NTSC originals, even when selecting it to be PAL 60 in the emulator!

PAL60 is "PAL colours" at "NTSC framerate" (aka, 60 fps). The colour information (at least at the base level) is hardcoded into the console. So anything that runs on a PAL console is going to use PAL colours, regardless of whether it's running at normal 50Hz rate (PAL or so-called PAL50), or at 60Hz (PAL60).

So it's entirely possible that the PAL60 colours don't match the NTSC ones, since they'd be coming from two different consoles.

All that being said, I don't have a PAL console, and don't have a way to view it even if I did. So it's possible the PAL emulation isn't as accurate as it could be.

Yeah I understand that's how it works from reading up :)

What I mean is, people are making PAL60 versions of these games, which means the colours should be correct to their NTSC counterparts and be full screen. The gameplay and screen are full/fast but the colours aren't correct, so I'm wondering if it's emulation or if people just made the colours as close as possible but couldn't make them 100% accurate.

Just wondering :)

Its both. The PAL color palette is a bit limited (e.g. it doesn't have a real yellow) and the remaining colors do not match exactly the NTSC colors.

Also not even the NTSC palette is "correctly" emulated, because each TV and each console are slightly different.

Even some original PAL roms have very bad color conversions, take Battlezone or Pole Position, also Wizard of Wor.

@Aydan, here are 3 of your wish list. Quick and dirty. Changing the PAL TIM64s. Pole Position will need a better color conversion, following soon.

The others on the list look a bit difficult at the moment.

H.E.R.O._PAL60.bin

Pole Position_PAL60.bin

Wizard of Wor_PAL60.bin