IGNORED

better atari 5200 s-video mod

low_budget

How much would it be for me to get my 5200 (4-port, serial no. 141101, made in U.S.A.) and a couple (or even all 4) of my CX52 joysticks modded with the gold contact buttons and gold flex circuit in each, I know the audio will be in mono, but can I get power, composite video (my Trinitron I bought for use with my unit does not have an S-video jack on it), and both left and right audio jacks installed on that accessory flap (I believe you call it an "expansion panel", which is on the opposite side of where the channel 2-3 switch is)?

You could get stereo assuming one of the Dual Pokey mods from the A8 side would work in the 5200.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another +1 for electronicsentimentalities.com! Just got the 5200 AV mod board in last week and put it in a few days ago. Here is a link to some pics showing the results on a LED LCD through s-video then to an upscaler that outputs to the TV via HDMI.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10201868503891591.1073741829.1153072122&type=1&l=f5502e080e

I should have taken pics of the mod installation itself but I figure most people could care less. I need to the DC conversion on it next as the switchbox is still needed on this 4-port to route the power to it.

Also the 5200 mod board is made so you can actually lift the pins on the GTIA and solder those pins directly to the mod board which, is what I did instead of short wire runs.

• Like 1

Another +1 for electronicsentimentalities.com! Just got the 5200 AV mod board in last week and put it in a few days ago. Here is a link to some pics showing the results on a LED LCD through s-video then to an upscaler that outputs to the TV via HDMI.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10201868503891591.1073741829.1153072122&type=1&l=f5502e080e

I should have taken pics of the mod installation itself but I figure most people could care less. I need to the DC conversion on it next as the switchbox is still needed on this 4-port to route the power to it.

Also the 5200 mod board is made so you can actually lift the pins on the GTIA and solder those pins directly to the mod board which, is what I did instead of short wire runs.

Nice work! I like the before and after on-screen comparisons of the sharpness and colors.

Oh, and I dunno, I'm kinda a fan of circuit board and solder photographs . . . :)

This is on my to-do list, the boards from electronicsentimentalities.com are excellent. I have enjoyed the 2600 video boards and he was a HUGE help on my 7800 video mod!

Thanks for sharing!

I might take more pics of it when I get a barrel jack to modify in place of the old 2-3 channel switch in the future when I eventually do the DC power mod on it. And the pics aren't really before and after. The 'before' pics are the screens through the composite off the mod board. Honestly I wasn't that impressed with the composite from it. But, the composite in general from this TV I use is pretty crappy on most everything. It is the reason why I added s-video to my Genesis and SMS system. Plus added the missing stuff to re-enable S-video on my SNES jr. Nearly all of my classic consoles are connected via s-video with the exception of my Japanese Turbo Duo. I added standard RCA jacks to the back of it and the composite on that is really quite good!

Back on topic, the S-video is really needed if you plan to play any classic systems on newer LCDs like I'm doing now, and the AV mod boards from electronicsentimentalities.com are really excellent!

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

I updated the 5200 mod photo album to include inside pics of the modifications along with just having done the power mod to it as well. Finally got rid of the switch box and now the annoying black/grey bar that would scroll up the screen on the composite and s-video connections is gone!

• 2 years later...

A few questions/ideas.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

notes:

• The transistors should put the signal in line 0.7 p-p for chroma and 1v p-p for luma (waiting on an oscope to test) required by the FMS6400.
  • The resistor ladder on the 5200 already has 1k pull up resistors so by adding another set in your design its now essentially 500ohm pull up resistors.
  • The output has 75ohm impedance matching resistors but the FMS6400 also calls for 75ohm termination resistor. Which I suppose is on the far end but thought I would mention it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So on these atari mods why couldn't you just use the atari's own resistor ladder ?

If you are going to build your own resistor ladder couldn't you just add lower resistances instead of adding four more pull up resistors?

The FMS requires 75 ohm termination on input (it doesn't mention series 75ohms but suppose it should be used to match)

So shouldn't the chroma line may need adjusted to hit that 75 ohm termination?

Using a THS7374 with LPF off may give better S-Video and you could daisy chain the FMS6400 on the output to mix for cv

Now if/when I make something like this it would have the THS7374 LPF off>S-Video Split>FMS6400 0DB>CV

I suppose you could try mixing the split lines for CV and do away with the FMS6400 entirely. (Im afraid mixing the split lines may effect the S-Video out)

I have done THS73XX mods on many different consoles but have always gotten vertical lines in my video on the Atari's (when going direct off the resistor ladder and separating C and some caps. Any advice ?

I could build a schematic showing exactly what I am talking about with any of this.

Ill try doing this with only a THS7314 and report back.

Edited by the_crayon_king

So after research the buffer to resistor ladder acts like a DAC.

But why not just use a IC DAC ? Especially if you can find one that also is made for outputting video signals ?

Example would be the 3DO thing: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/260654-new-3do-rgb-mod-possibility/

I understand now that the Y0,Y1,Y2,& Y3 are bits in the signal I just dunno if SYNC is the LSB or MSB or what ?

So I guess I need a 5/6 line DAC and something else for Chroma.

So far the closest I have found is the THS8133.

• 5 months later...

Im installing one of these kits right now

Is this topic dead ?

Anyway this may be useful for you:

https://easyeda.com/hotdog6394/MD_40SV-1de03b6b5f054f4e87a9acbcaf2880c9

It's an S-Video breakout for the MD-40SV (s-video) type connector.

And here is one for RGB 8 pin mini din if you ever need it:

https://easyeda.com/hotdog6394/490_MD_80SV_breakout-d34cb936748241e8ad10150986ee9ab2

I set them under CC-BY-SA 3.0 meaning you can even use these for commercial applications.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why not include the POKEY audio stuff on the board ?

Also if you used the buffer BEFORE the internal buffer couldn't you keep RF intact ?

Otherwise there are FMS chips with RF out or at least a part of it.

Removing the internal buffer would leave a pretty sweet socket for mounting these kits (similar to the 7800 kits)

Edited by the_crayon_king

Wow ok I didn't know this topic has been resurrected.

My s-video mod schematic could use some improvement, and I'm sure better video mods have been developed since.

I stopped working on the s-video mod around 2012 to focus on the Super 8 bit.

I didn't know a RGB mod was available for the Atari 5200. The mod by Simius looks really nice. When I see the cool things other people are making lately, I wish I knew how to program FPGAs....

I could share my PCB design files if anyone wants to make their own boards or modify them.

My s-video mod schematic could use some improvement, and I'm sure better video mods have been developed since.

I didn't know a RGB mod was available for the Atari 5200. The mod by Simius looks really nice. When I see the cool things other people are making lately, I wish I knew how to program FPGAs....

I could share my PCB design files if anyone wants to make their own boards or modify them.

This board seems to have popped up alot in my research.

The FMS-6400 is out of production. Now it's the FMS6410B

I was trying to figure out how to make a s video/composite driver for multiple systems that use DAC resitors for luma/chroma.

The 7800, 5200, 2600, and intelevision all come in mind but I am sure there are a few others.

Basically all following the same format: TTL Buffer>DAC Ladder>Possibly a transistor>FMS6410B

I was thinking instead of having resistors of a decreasing value that maybe a R-2R DAC ladder would work.

This is everything I have atm: https://easyeda.com/hotdog6394/FMS6400_DRIVER-dff30ae2549c4a1e9cd29f9a2433937e

I have an octal atm but it would make more sense to have a hex buffer for luma and something else for chroma (either a single or dual)

Personally I have ZERO issues using your latest version of the s-video board that you offered. I've modded several 5200s with it and thought they all looked amazing through s-video. In fact, i still say that my s-video modded 5200 and my TurboDUO s-vid modded are the best looking classic consoles in screen appearance as compared to others. So while Bryan's UAV can be used on the 5200 as well, I still think that your last version of the installation is easy enough and looked great! Hopefully you can still at least offer that version of the board in the future going forward pre-populated?

• 1 month later...

Hello! I am new here, but not at all new to Atari. I have just dusted off my original systems and have been doing AV mods on them. I found pre-populated boards for the 2600 easy enough on ebay, but I can't seem to find anyone selling a similar product for the 5200. So I am stuck with building one myself. My question is if anyone knows the most current/dependable revision of the circuit? As far as I can tell the diagram posted on this thread as the #18 reply is the best option for a 2-port 5200. Is that true?

If anyone has some information on an AV mod for the 5200 it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

edit - I just found the mod made by Bryan. It looks like it may do the trick if available.

Edited by Kelly_B_C

edit - I just found the mod made by Bryan. It looks like it may do the trick if available.

Bryan's UAV is fantastic. I have three of them in XL computers and a fourth in a 2600. I plan to buy two more eventually and put them in a 7800 and a 5200. :)

Bryan's UAV is fantastic. I have three of them in XL computers and a fourth in a 2600. I plan to buy two more eventually and put them in a 7800 and a 5200. :)

The UAV doesn't do the audio does it? Is there a way to get the audio off of the 5200 when modding with the UAV?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The UAV doesn't do the audio does it? Is there a way to get the audio off of the 5200 when modding with the UAV?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just pick up the audio wherever any other AV mod tells you to pick it up. The magic in the mod is the quality of the video signals it generates. The audio produced by the POKEY is just fine; you can grab the audio signals straight from the chip or the solder points under the board, or further down the audio circuitry close to the RF modulator if you want, however any other mod does it. Or look at a schematic and find a convenient place.

Just pick up the audio wherever any other AV mod tells you to pick it up. The magic in the mod is the quality of the video signals it generates. The audio produced by the POKEY is just fine; you can grab the audio signals straight from the chip or the solder points under the board, or further down the audio circuitry close to the RF modulator if you want, however any other mod does it. Or look at a schematic and find a convenient place.

That's what I figured. I didn't know if there was any more to it than that. I have a UAV I'm planning to install in my 5200 tomorrow. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I need a 5200 AV mod. , would you know who sells them? thanks in advance for any leads....Al

I can offer you a kit if you would like, send me a PM. I have the boards in my possession... I'm just waiting on an order of components.

Edit: Added a photo of one of the assembled boards, the actual kit will have higher quality caps.

post-26765-0-56798400-1505408625.jpg

Edited by atariguy1021

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

A success story using low_budget's v2.0 schematic in this thread to make my own board:

post-65374-0-19424700-1532617603_thumb.jpg

I used a couple of GTIA footprints on the board to allow a plug-and-play installation by piggybacking the GTIA onto the board and then plugging the whole assembly in. Only using composite at this time. Audtio out is via a capacitor soldered to the usual location.