IGNORED

better atari 5200 s-video mod

low_budget

Thanks to LittleJoe and http://electronicsentimentalities.com my 5200 and 7800 now have s-video. He modified both of my units in a week and sent them back in better than new condition. The 7800 even has stereo. It was pretty cool playing Pac-man 4K and hearing the alarm in one speaker and the waka waka in the other. Both units video is crystal clear! So much better than the old RF.

My 5200 also has a new case thanks to David (Boxpressed). Both units look fantastic now.

My next project is to preform an AV mod on my Odyssey 2 and Colecovision.

Thanks to LittleJoe and http://electronicsentimentalities.com my 5200 and 7800 now have s-video. He modified both of my units in a week and sent them back in better than new condition. The 7800 even has stereo. It was pretty cool playing Pac-man 4K and hearing the alarm in one speaker and the waka waka in the other. Both units video is crystal clear! So much better than the old RF.

My 5200 also has a new case thanks to David (Boxpressed). Both units look fantastic now.

My next project is to preform an AV mod on my Odyssey 2 and Colecovision.

that's awesome.

How much is the 5200 s-video mod + install from Joe?

for CV get the F18A VGA, its very good.

• 3 weeks later...

Just did the s-video mod last night with the kit from electronicsentimentalities.com. Only took a few hours and the results are outstanding - the 5200 looks gorgeous on either my CRT or LCD displays. $30 insanely well spent... like others have said, I cannot believe how big that motherboard is for the 5200! they needed the massive case after all!

Just did the s-video mod last night with the kit from electronicsentimentalities.com. Only took a few hours and the results are outstanding - the 5200 looks gorgeous on either my CRT or LCD displays. $30 insanely well spent... like others have said, I cannot believe how big that motherboard is for the 5200! they needed the massive case after all!

do you have a 4 or 2 port system?

Edited by grips03

It is outrageously good. Playing defender never looked so sharp!

I have two of these mods now, one for 4 port and one for 2 port. If I leave Moon Patrol on blue screen or if it switches to red / pinkish screen I can see faint blue vertical lines. Do you see these as well?

Played on Tuesday night - didn't see that then// I'll hAve to look.

with the s-video install, did you put the mod board on the pins of the video chip or did you run short wires? I ran short wires, say 2-3 inches to the mod board that's mounted on top of the 40 pin IC to the noth of the video chip.

thanks

How much would it be for me to get my 5200 (4-port, serial no. 141101, made in U.S.A.) and a couple (or even all 4) of my CX52 joysticks modded with the gold contact buttons and gold flex circuit in each, I know the audio will be in mono, but can I get power, composite video (my Trinitron I bought for use with my unit does not have an S-video jack on it), and both left and right audio jacks installed on that accessory flap (I believe you call it an "expansion panel", which is on the opposite side of where the channel 2-3 switch is)?

• 3 weeks later...

tonight I tried mounting directly on the video chip, but it was no better. Tomorrow I can try shielded video wire.

Nine vertical lines only on the left side, right? That's noise from ANTIC's DRAM refresh cycles. Try shorter 5V and Gnd wires. Or move the 5V and Gnd pickups closer to a large cap on the motherboard. Or add a larger cap to the video board between 5V and Gnd.

Nine vertical lines only on the left side, right? That's noise from ANTIC's DRAM refresh cycles. Try shorter 5V and Gnd wires. Or move the 5V and Gnd pickups closer to a large cap on the motherboard. Or add a larger cap to the video board between 5V and Gnd.

I tried all of the above today and it did not improve.

I also tried adding 1uf and 10uf to caps to ANTIC, got same results.