IGNORED

No DVD or Blu-ray Playback for Wii-U?

Mendon

I was once put in the position of using my 360 as a DVD player. It was the noisiest DVD player I have ever heard and using the controller as a remote was just wrong! I then went to the supermarket and picked up a stand alone unit for £20 (the same price as the 360 remote would've cost). The picture was actually sharper and the machine was silent... There's a lesson in there somewhere... :P

Re the OP: I really don't care about hard media playback on my gaming systems - in my experience it killed way more Playstations and PS2's than anything else...

I was once put in the position of using my 360 as a DVD player. It was the noisiest DVD player I have ever heard and using the controller as a remote was just wrong! I then went to the supermarket and picked up a stand alone unit for £20 (the same price as the 360 remote would've cost). The picture was actually sharper and the machine was silent... There's a lesson in there somewhere... :P

Re the OP: I really don't care about hard media playback on my gaming systems - in my experience it killed way more Playstations and PS2's than anything else...

It would be safe to say that the disks you have are probably out of balance. All of my DVDs (except for one) run silent in my 360. the one that didn't caused my 360 to vibrate and rattle, it was a defective disk and i had it replaced, and now I don't have that issue. I have ran into quite a few game disks that do the same thing with my 360,

No sorry but playing a DVD movie will not cause more damage to a system then playing a game disk its actually the other way around, playing a game causes more damage to the drive then playing a DVD movie in it.

Edited by madmax2069

I concur. I have plenty of methods for viewing DVDs, and I've never once found myself wishing that my video game console could play them.

Though I will admit, I put XBMC on my XBox and it's prettymuch all I ever use to watch them these days. We have quite a lot of TV shows on DVD, and the deinterlace features in that program are a godsend.

Plus I guess the upscaling is pretty good, too ¬_¬

Who uses a CD player anymore

I do! For the few bands I'd care to buy anything from, I'd still rather have the CD than buying drmed/watermarked mp3s of questionable quality.

Same here, I feel the same way about videogames...sure, it's a little more practical (and a lot more portable) to just have all the ROMs, but there's something nice about holding it in your hands, and browsing through all the artwork.

Heck, you could ask the same thing about vinyl collectors.