IGNORED

I thought I had found a rare NES game

jd_1138

We went to a local Goodwill last Saturday. It's a bit of a honeypot, as it's in a nice area, so the stuff is nice sometimes, and the manager is realistic on prices. They had a few of the standard thrift store games on the rack -- a 2600 Combat in bad shape, an NES Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt in bad shape, etc..

Walking around, I saw a customer carrying some video games, and on top was an NES copy of Bandai's Athletic World. I thought: "ah shoot, is that the super rare game?!?!" So I plugged it into my feature phone's browser and a website synopsis came up talking about Athletic World and that it was worth thousands of dollars. I clicked on that website and it came back with an error message. So I told my wife: "I just missed out on a super rare game." When we got home I looked it up and was relieved to see that Stadium Events is in fact the rare one. Athletic World is fairly common. I had the 2 mixed up.

athletic_world_cart.jpgnot rare

Stadium-Events-copertina1.jpgrare

The Goodwill in my area is pretty "savvy" when it comes to vintage games; they check eBay for prices. I see them doing this every time NES carts come in. Kind of eliminates the key word "thrift" in Thrift Store if you’re paying retail prices...

However they do make mistakes occasionally; either out of laziness or being inundated with many games at once. I snagged a Double Dragon Game Gear cart for $2 and a loose Sega Saturn Console for $5 so it's always worth a look despite being disappointed most of the time.

Bartering is also acceptable at my local Goodwill unlike Salvation Army. If something is priced $20 you can probably get it for $15 if you ask.

Edited by guy767

I've just about given up on goodwills in my area- they almost universally do not put out good stuff. either that or someone else is beating me to it. Although recently I was donating some clothes at the goodwill near my house. While I was in the donation area I asked the guy in back if they ever get any "old video game stuff." He says "you mean like this kind of stuff?" and pulls a nomad and a few games out of a brown bag by the door. I asked him if it was for sale, he said he'd meet me around front with it. I didn't even ask about the price, and when he came around he handed me the nomad, Tiny toons, and jeapardy both CIB, with a price tag right smack in the middle of the Nomad's Screen- 5.99. Quite a steal, but the ONLY thing I've gotten from Goodwill in a while. The Salvo's and VOA's in the area are another story :evil: .

I've just about given up on goodwills in my area- they almost universally do not put out good stuff. either that or someone else is beating me to it. Although recently I was donating some clothes at the goodwill near my house. While I was in the donation area I asked the guy in back if they ever get any "old video game stuff." He says "you mean like this kind of stuff?" and pulls a nomad and a few games out of a brown bag by the door. I asked him if it was for sale, he said he'd meet me around front with it. I didn't even ask about the price, and when he came around he handed me the nomad, Tiny toons, and jeapardy both CIB, with a price tag right smack in the middle of the Nomad's Screen- 5.99. Quite a steal, but the ONLY thing I've gotten from Goodwill in a while. The Salvo's and VOA's in the area are another story :evil: .

It's for that reason I've largely given up on chain thrift stores. I know they all check prices online because I've talked to managers of a couple in the area and they've said as much. Doing so is how they determine what kinds of prices to ask for stuff that they don't know how to value. Thus it's not uncommon for me to run across some easy to find games for cheap, but the rarer stuff to have an exorbitant price tag. Thrifts are still a decent place to find common games on the cheap, though, or at the very least a decent price.

I find that I have better luck, pricing wise, in locally-owned thrift shops (which tend to have booths more like a flea market type venue) and at yard and garage sales. Games that end up in these little hole-in-the-wall places and at garage and yard sales are priced to move fast. The people aren't interested in making big bucks on their wares. These items are just in the way, and they want them out of the way quick. If they can make a dollar or two on them, all the better.

Actually, Athletic World can be quite expensive. The rarity, however, lies in the box.

IIRC, the first issue of Athletic World was released with the Family Fun Fitness Pad, which didn't exist long, as Nintendo bought the rights to it and rebranded it the Power Pad. Thus, Athletic World was repackaged with a new box, which amended the change and also changed much of the artwork. The cart, however, remained unchanged. That first issue box is incredibly rare and sought after, reaching prices of $300 or more, but it ain't Stadium Events :)

Long story short, I know all this because I made the same mistake - at a thrift (no smartphone), had just heard about Athletic World's rarity, and jumped on a cart without knowing the full story. I keep it as a reminder to do more research, and as my Stadium Events look-alike cartridge. Good story though!