IGNORED

Star Raiders - was it ever fixed?

KLund1

In Spanish, more negatives implies more emphasis. That's where the double negative usage in the US arises from - the influence of Spanish from the large hispanic populations.

Is that really true? I always thought that expressions like "No tengo a nadie'" were erroneous, because of the double negatives.

I don't know how much Spanish has to do with double negatives appearing in English, but he is right in that double negatives in Spanish are considered grammatically correct. I remember one of my high school Spanish teachers wishing English wasn't so anal about that. In Spanish they figure the more negatives you're throwing into a sentence, the more you are emphasizing the negativity.

That's how we were taught it in my Spanish class. My teacher had just moved where we were from Mexico City, so you would think she'd know the difference. She was also always pointing out the differences between "common" Spanish and Castilian Spanish, which is what most US Spanish books cover.

This is a very simple sketch up that I made but it's just to illustrate the idea; it is possible to create a "modernized" Star Raiders that keeps most of the original game play.

The HUD could be beautified, the starfield needs to be dimmed down a little so no confustion can exist about stars vs. torpedoes vs. the asteroid vs. enemies in the distance.

Any ideas how we might pitch this? There are often classes where people need to find a project to do, sometimes people have engines that they want to make a demo for, etc. etc.

post-9011-0-39514600-1329282998_thumb.jpg

Nice idea in the pic above. Not sure an A8 could render such screens, but moving to modern hardware, now that would be cool. But only as long it still plays that same. It could be made to have "expansions" that could add functionality, characters, story line, etc. But must still have the same game play feel as the original. SRII / LSF A8 or ST was ok, but does not really feel like a sequel, at least to me.

I would still like to see A8 SR updated with better coding, as mentioned above.

I do not want to take anything away from the spectacular work done by the writer of the game. The gold plaque idea above would look great hanging the Computer History Museum just up the road in Mt. View, Ca.

This is a very simple sketch up that I made but it's just to illustrate the idea; it is possible to create a "modernized" Star Raiders that keeps most of the original game play.

The HUD could be beautified, the starfield needs to be dimmed down a little so no confustion can exist about stars vs. torpedoes vs. the asteroid vs. enemies in the distance.

Any ideas how we might pitch this? There are often classes where people need to find a project to do, sometimes people have engines that they want to make a demo for, etc. etc.

post-9011-0-39514600-1329282998_thumb.jpg

Your pic is awesome! Unfortunatley, the entity masquerading as "Atari" would dick it up in the process, as they've ruined every classic Atari franchise that they've stuck their pricks in for fast bucks, so far.

• Like 2

Tom Hudson and Lee Pappas from Analog Retro are almost finished with the iPad HD version of Star Rangers, these are some of the dev pics they have posted on their site. The original game, which was designed for the iPhone, looks similar but the iPad gives them a little more screen to work with. The original game (which plays well on the iPad) is probably the best 'modern' realization of Star Raiders that I've seen that stays truly faithful to the original style and gameplay. You can tell these guys have a great love for the original by the attention to the little details, it IS Star Raiders. I've been hooked on it since it came out, but can't wait for this updated version to be released.

Star Raiders Junkie since Nov 1981.

Front View

SR%20HD%20Forward%20View.jpg

Galactic Chart

SR%20HD%20Galactic%20Map.jpg

LR Scan

SR%20HD%20Long%20Range%20Scan.jpg

Edited by Raider7

ZylonBane I'm quite aware of what A8 can render. Painting a picture, or building a demo, is not the same as game play. Though I'm very sure there are awesome A8 programers that can make an A8 do incredible things, your idea,(a good one) might put a strain on both.

Raider7, Tom Hudson and Lee Pappas from Analog Retro on Star Rangers looks great. I hope they do well with it. But most here would assume that are using the incorrect platform for such a task. ;)

Raider7, Tom Hudson and Lee Pappas from Analog Retro on Star Rangers looks great. I hope they do well with it. But most here would assume that are using the incorrect platform for such a task. ;)

Yea, I know it's blasphemy :) . But despite that, it's a great rendition of my all time favorite computer game.

Edited by Raider7

• 1 month later...

(...)

The original Star Raiders was a very immersive game. The damage model was great too and really added a lot to the gameplay experience. Being able to limp the beat-up ship back to base with no attack computer, damaged LRS, no subspace radio, no photons, flickering shields and sputtering engines was awesome....quite a challenge too but doable. I can't believe he managed to squeeze all that game into 8K. Definitely a work of art.

I swear if someone finds a commented source listing for it, it should be etched onto a sheet of gold and hung in one of the Smithsonian museums.

(...)

...One of the KEY reasons I IMMENSELY appreciated (and still do, to this day) Atari's 8-bit line was precisely because of STAR RAIDERS... It was simply amazing how such a computer/platform with a meager 8K-rom could fire up (so wildly) a kid's imagination... Freely flying through the cosmos, chasing your enemies, guarding your ship's integrity and your home-bases, and risking being brutally ambushed if you ever forgot pausing the game and leaving the computer unattended while taking a pee. :)

...I still enjoy it as much as back then, and today it deservedly sits amon the Top-10 most IMPORTANT games EVER in history, along with those that broke new grounds and laid the groundwork for generations to come:

http://www.nytimes.c...r=4&oref=slogin

As I somewhere read before: "Star Raiders, the game that made us look at the stars..."

Tom Hudson and Lee Pappas from Analog Retro are almost finished with the iPad HD version of Star Rangers, these are some of the dev pics they have posted on their site. The original game, which was designed for the iPhone, looks similar but the iPad gives them a little more screen to work with. The original game (which plays well on the iPad) is probably the best 'modern' realization of Star Raiders that I've seen that stays truly faithful to the original style and gameplay. You can tell these guys have a great love for the original by the attention to the little details, it IS Star Raiders. I've been hooked on it since it came out, but can't wait for this updated version to be released.

Front View

Galactic Chart

LR Scan

I would love to buy it..only when there is an android version.

With all this talk of SR and updates, I just thought it worth mentioning XTAL. Not to suggest that it's an update of SR, or even better, just something close, but with a bit more depth (for better or worse), but what about XTAL (from Antic publishing '85) It has some graphics that are better than SR in some ways, like enemy scaling and higher-res stars...just check it out!

If you haven't checked out Xtal before, just check it out. Something for in the meantime until SR can be updated, and it's more of a sequal to SR than SR2!

Xtal (v3,s1).atr

Xtal (v3,s2,doc).atr

post-149-0-73249100-1334191238_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-08120000-1334191263_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-21592000-1334191293_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up - I have never seen this before.

you are welcome. I think this is a very good game that is often overlooked becuase it's rare. Only ever sold through ANTIC magazine's own catalog. Even Atarimania doesn't have it (it's listed). I think I got these images from Fandal's site. There are also a couple betas of it there, but this is the best, final release.

(...)

If you haven't checked out Xtal before, just check it out. Something for in the meantime until SR can be updated, and it's more of a sequal to SR than SR2!

(...)

...Mhmmm... I played with it briefly and I must admit that Xtal looks VERY INTERESTING... I am particularly surprised with overall speed and fluid motion, of not just the star fields, but other elements, as well... Will look into this deeper.

Thanks for this reference, as I had not seen it before...

Front View

Galactic Chart

LR Scan

I would love to buy it..only when there is an android version.

Exactly, most people who bought Atari/Commodore computers HATED Apple's overpriced shit so I will never understand why people do remakes for iShits and not Android tablets.

• Like 1

Analog control FTW :)

That rocks. :) I also like having all the controls on one device instead of having to go between the keyboard and joystick. And there were a couple of actual fixes as I recall. Aft view? Something else? (Dang, it sucks to get old.)

Am I alone here in believing that it was never broken?

I feel "broken" is definately the wrong word. I never noticed any problems or "bugs" in the 25+ years I've been playing it. Though there is always room for improvement, and if someone thinks they can make the game better, I say go for it.

That being said, does any one know if the 5200 version was ever ported to the A8 like so many other 5200 games? I'd be interested in comparing them.

• 1 month later...

I recently bought an Atari 65XE to help me learn more about programming than ever before. I suffered a big setback and some kind of psychological damage because my first computer was a Commodore 64, which I sold after 10-11 months. After reading about how enthusiastic people were about the game "Star Raiders", I bought a copy a few days ago. Unfortunately, it's a reissued cassette version with TWO Copyright dates, 1987 as well as 1979. Instead of the original 12 page instruction manual, the instructions are on 3 small cassette sized pages. Obviously, this means they're seriously lacking. I've started to search websites for more detailed instructions, but haven't found everything I need so far. There are no instructions on how to dock with a starbase, how to decide where to hyperwarp to and I don't know how to unpause the game after pressing P to pause it. I hope you can help me save some time by telling me how to do these things, or point me to a website which tells me how.

As for learning programming, I recently converted a short listing from Sinclair BASIC into Atari BASIC, which included reading the joystick, because I hadn't yet got the "Atari BASIC Reference Guide" and hadn't found out how to read single keypresses from the keyboard. I've extended the game, which was a missile base that could shoot at a single star, by adding a scoring routine and increasing the number of stars. I'm just using Atari graphics characters at the moment. I created a bug, which is that after shooting at and wiping out a star or ship, if your missile base shoots at the same position the score will still be incremented, because the coordinates of the 10 stars or ships are held in an array and compared to the missile position. I think the LOCATE X,Y,D command will fix this, though. It all looks like a 1970's style video game, but I think even programming this on a Commodore 64 could cause brain damage, because of no Y coordinate in the PRINT TAB command, and no command for reading a joystick!

Edited by SIO99
  • Like 1

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-star-raiders_4992.html

Atarimania has scans of the proper instructions. I think it was P to pause, then different key to resume.

Docking is easy, sneak up on the starbase with it near the centre of screen, reduce to 0 velocity once the distance <=4

Use Galactic Map to choose where to warp to. Priority should be enemies close to surrounding starbases but long warps use much more energy than short ones.